California Fish and Game
ISSN: 0008-1078 (print), 2331-0405 (online)
1807 13th Street, Suite 104,
Sacramento, CA 95811
- Past Issues: Browse • Search
- Editorial Staff
- Submissions: Editorial Policy and
Instructions to Authors
California Fish and Game
If materials are reproduced, please acknowledge the author and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Notes from the Editor - Vernon C. Bleich
- California Fish and Game 100(2): the special marine issue Michael Sutton, President, California Fish and Game Commission
- Introduction to the special marine issue Charlton H. Bonham, Director, California Department of Fish and Wildlife and Francisco Werner, Director, NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center
- Implementing California’s Nearshore Fishery Management Plan — twelve years later Deb Wilson-Vandenberg, Traci Larinto, and Meisha Key
- The rise of invertebrate fisheries and the fishing down of marine food webs in California Laura Rogers-Bennett and Christina I. Juhasz
- Effects of fishing and the environment on the long-term sustainability of the recreational saltwater bass fishery in southern California Erica T. Jarvis, Heather L. Gliniak, and Charles F. Valle
- Aerial sardine surveys in the Southern California Bight Kirk Lynn, Dianna Porzio, and Alex Kesaris
- Changes in biological characteristics of the California market squid (Doryteuthis opalescens) from the California commercial fishery from 2000–01 to 2012–13 Chelsea Q. Protasio, Anna M. Holder, and Briana C. Brady
- Reproductive potential and spawning periodicity in barred sand bass (Paralabrax nebulifer) from the San Pedro Shelf, southern California Erica T. Jarvis, Kerri A. Loke-Smith, Kyle Evans, Rick y E. Klopp e, Kelly A. Young, and Charles F. Valle
- Influence of bucket trap hole diameter on retention of immature hagfish Travis H. Tanaka and Kathryn Crane
- Descriptive analyses and extended distribution records of macroinvertebrates based on remotely operated vehicle surveys offshore of the northern Channel Islands Rebecca E. Flores Miller, Daniel W. Gotshall, John J. Geibel, and Konstantin A. Karpov
- Overview of the creation and management of California’s marine protected area network Elizabeth Pope
- Information for Contributors Bleich, V. C
- Books Received and Available for Review
- Notes from the Editor Vernon C. Bleich
- Introduction to the special native plant issue Charlton H. Bonham and Dan Gluesenkamp
- Congratulatory remarks regarding California Fish and Game volume 100 Edmund G. Brown Jr., Governor
- Past, present, and future of native plant conservation within the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Kristi A. Lazar and Jeb M. Bjerke
- Characterizing habitat suitability for disturbance-dependent rare plants of gabbro soils Gogol-Prokurat
- Status survey for endangered Bakersfield cactus Brian L. Cypher*, Erin N. Tennant, Ellen A. Cypher, Christine L. Van Horn Job, and Scott E. Phillips
- Translocation as a conservation measure for endangered Bakersfield cactus Ellen A. Cypher*, Brian L. Cypher, Brianna D. Borders, and Christine L. Van Horn Job
- Identifying practical, small-scale disturbance to restore habitat for an endangered annual forb Christal Niederer*, Stuart B. Weiss, and Lewis Stringer
- Seed banking California’s rare plants Evan Meyer*, Nick Jensen, and Naomi Fraga
- Utilizing the California Natural Diversity Database to aid in plant conservation: a case study from the California desert Kristi A. Lazar
- Tanoak conservation: a role for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Frederica Bowcutt
- Plant community characterization and ranking of fens in the Lake Tahoe Basin, California and Nevada Kendra G. Sikes* and Julie M. Evens
- Doing adaptive management: improving the application of science to the restoration of a rare Lake Tahoe plant Bruce M. Pavlik* and Alison E. Stanton
- Book Review: A manual of California vegetation. Second Edition. John O. Sawyer, Todd Keeler-Wolf, and Julie M. Evens
- Notes from the Editor - Vernon C. Bleich
- Barotrauma related mortality of Florida-strain largemouth bass from winter tournaments in Diamond Valley Lake, California, Quinn Granfors
- Checklist of inland aquatic Isopoda (Crustacea: Malacostraca) of California,G. O. Graening and D. Christopher Rogers
- The historical range of beaver (Castor canadensis) in coastal California: an updated review of the evidenceChristopher W. Lanman, Kate Lundquist, Heidi Perryman, J. Eli Asarian, Brock Dolman, Richard B. Lanman, Michael M. Pollock
- Desert tortoise road mortality in Mojave National Preserve, California, Debra L. Hughson and Neal Darby
- Observations on the ectoparasites of elasmobranchs in San Francisco Bay, California Ronald A. Russo
- Orange coloration in a black-and-yellow rockfish (Sebastes chrysomelas) from central CaliforniaKevin O. Lewand, John R. Hyde, Vince P. Buonaccorsi, and Robert N. Lea
- Subject matter index
- Author index
- List of reviewers
- Books available for review
- Information for contributor
- Notes from the Editor Vernon C. Bleich
- Continued absence of sabellid fan worms (Terebrasabella heterouncinata) among intertidal gastropods at a site of eradication in California, USA James D. Moore, Blythe C. Marshman, Thea T. Robbins, and Christy I. Juhasz
- Longfin smelt: spatial dynamics and ontogeny in the San Francisco Estuary, California Joseph E. Merz, Paul S. Bergman, Jenny F. Melgo, and Scott Hamilton
- Angler catch-per-unit-effort in restored and reference sections of the Merced River, California: a preliminary analysis Matthew C. Wilberding and Andrew W. Hafs
- First record of endangered southern California steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in Conejo Creek, Ventura County, California Tim E. Hovey and John W. O'Brien
- Observation of mating behavior of the Santa Ana speckled dace John W. O'Brien
- Notes from the Editor Vernon C. Bleich
- Home range and habitat use by desert mule deer in altered habitats Carlos H. Alcala-Galvan and Paul R. Krausman
- An ectoparasitic snail (Evalea tenuisculpta) infects red abalone (Haliotis rufescens) in northern California Athena K. Maguire and Laura Rogers-Bennett
- Translocating endangered kangaroo rats in the San Joaquin Valley of California: recommendations for future efforts Erin N. Tennant, David J. Germano, and Brian L. Cypher
- Handling adjustments to reduce chemical capture-related mortality in black-tailed deer David S. Casady and Maximilian L. Allen
- Treatment of laboratory waste formalin solutions with Neutralex® Kathryn A. Hieb and Linda Warkentin
- Notes from the Editor Vernon C. Bleich
- The native and introduced fishes of Clear Lake: a review of the past to assist with decisions of the future Lisa C. Thompson, Gregory A. Giusti, Kristina L. Weber, and Ryan F. Keiffer
- Sympatry in California tiger salamander and California redlegged frog breeding habitat within their overlapping range Jeff A. Alvarez, Mary A. Shea, Jeffery T. Wilcox, Mark L. Allaback, Sarah M. Foster, Gretchen E. Padgett-Flohr, and Jennifer L. Haire
- Group size dynamics of female Roosevelt elk in Redwood National and State Parks, California Andrea E. Julian, Kristin Schmidt, and Floyd W. Weckerly
- Pink salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) in the Salinas River, California: new record and historical perspectives Tom D. Skiles, Ronald M. Yoshiyama and Peter B. Moyle
- In Memoriam - James D. Yoakum Friends and colleagues of James D. Yoakum
California Fish and Game 98(4). Fall 2012.
- Identifying factors limiting coho salmon to inform stream restoration in coastal Northern California Gallagher, S. P., S. Thompson, and D. W. Wright
- Conservation status of the Tomales Bay Isopod Caecidotea tomalensis (Malacostraca: Isopoda) Graening, G.O., Fong, D., Serpa, L., Sharma, S., and Graening, G.J.
- Invertebrate assemblages in the lower Klamath River, with reference to Manayunkia speciosa Malakauskas, D.M., and Wilzbach, M.A.
- Habitat characteristics, a range extension, and an elevational record for Shasta salamander Len Lindstrand III, Kurt Bainbridge and Gabe Youngblood
- Subject Matter Index for California Fish and Game 98 (2012) Vernon C. Bleich
- Author Index for California Fish and Game 98 (2012) Vernon C. Bleich
- Reviewers of Papers Considered for Publication in California Fish and Game 98 (2012) Vernon C. Bleich
California Fish and Game 98(3). Summer 2012.
- Aerial survey estimates of fallow deer abundance Gogan, P.J.P., Gates, N.B., Lubow, B.C., and Pettit, S.
- Framework for understanding the influences of wildlife water developments in the western United States Larsen, R.T., Bissonette, J.A., Flinders, J.T. and Whiting, J.C.
- Pulmonate gastropod species composition inside and outside eucalyptus forests Walgren, M.J., and Andreano, L.E.
- Occurrence of delta smelt (Hypomesus transpacificus) in the lower Sacramento River near Knights Landing, California Vincik, R.F., and Julienne, J.M.
- Recent observations of porcupines in El Dorado County, California Allen, L.M. and Casady, D.
- IN MEMORIAM - James J. Navicky Smith, K. A.
California Fish and Game 98(2). Spring 2012.
- The historical range of beaver in the Sierra Nevada: a review of the evidence Lanman, R.B., Perryman, H., Dolman, B. and James, C.D.
- Diets of desert mule deer in altered habitats in the lower Sonoran Desert Alcala-Galvan, C.H., and Krausman, P.R.
- Trophic ecology and population attributes of two resident non-game fishes in riverine habitat engineered to enhance salmon spawning success Utz, R.M., Zeug, S.C., Cardinale, B.J., and Albertson, L.K.
- First record of an established population of the convict cichlid (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus) in Californai Hovey, T.E. and Swift, C.C.
- Novel physical evidence that beaver historically were native to the Sierra Nevada James, C.D. and Lanman, R.B.
California Fish and Game 98(1). Winter 2012.
- Monitoring distribution and abundance of nesting Swainson’s hawks in the Sacramento Valley and Sacramento River Delta, California Dan L. Gifford, Paul S. Hofmann, Adrienne A. Truex, and David H. Wright
- Water temperature thresholds for coho salmon in a spring-fed river, Siskiyou County, California Stenhouse, S.A., Caitlin, E.B., Chesney, W.R. Pisano, M.S.
- Growing up fast in a small creek: diet and growth of a population of Oncorhynchus mykiss in Topanga Creek, California Krug, J. M., J.M., Bell, E, and Dagit, R.
- Cattle egret predation causing reproductive failures of nesting tricolored blackbirds Robert J. Meese
- Observations on the distribution and abundance of bighorn sheep in Baja California, Mexico Raymond Lee, Roberto Martinez Gallardo, Jesus Zatarain, and Jonathan Escobar
- In memoriam, Stephen A. Holl Friends and colleagues of Stephen A. Holl
- In memoriam, Alan Nack Friends and colleagues of Alan Nack
California Fish and Game 97(4). Fall 2011.
- Status of fishes in the Upper San Gabriel River Basin, Los Angeles County, California. John W. O'Brien, Hans K. Hansen, and Mike E. Stephens
- Spatial perspective for delta smelt: a summary of contemporary survey data. Joseph E. Merz, Scott Hamilton, Paul S. Bergman, and Bradley Cavallo
- What have we learned about water developments for wildlife? Not enough! Nova O. Simpson, Kelley M. Stewart, and Vernon C. Bleich
California Fish and Game 97(3). Summer 2011.
- Largemouth bass population estimates from Diamond Valley Lake, Riverside County, California. Quinn Granfors and Michael Giusti
- Assessment of habitat for the potential reintroduction of tule elk to the San Joaquin Valley, California. Patrick R. Huber, Steven E. Greco, and Joe Hobbs
- Sex ratio estimates of Roosevelt elk using counts and Bowden’s estimator. Sara P. Weaver and Floyd W. Weckerly
- Burrow occupancy and nesting phenology of Bank Swallows along the Sacramento River. David H. Wright, Henry Lomeli, Paul S. Hofmann, and Canh Nguyen
California Fish and Game 97(2). Spring 2011.
- Discrimination of Ross’s geese and lesser snow geese using rectrices in California. Shaun L. Oldenburger, Erin High, Daniel R. Yparraguirre, and Melanie Weaver
- A histopathology survey of California oysters. James D. Moore, Christy I. Juhasz, and Thea T. Robbins
- Evidence of relationships between El Niño Southern Oscillation and mule deer harvest in California. Jason P. Marshal and Vernon C. Bleich
- First record and establishment of an exotic molly (Poecilia butleri) in the Baja California Peninsula, Mexico. Deivis S. Palacios-Salgado, Arturo Ramirez-Valdez, and Gorgonio Ruiz-Campos
California Fish and Game 97(1). Winter 2011.
- Domestic sheep, bighorn sheep, and respiratory disease: a review of the experimental evidence. John D. Wehausen, Scott T. Kelley, and Rob R. Ramey II
- Juvenile growth in a population of southern California steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Ethan Bell, Sandra M. Albers, Jenna M. Krug, and Rosi Dagit
- First specimen of the white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus Richardson, 1836) in coastal waters of Mexico with data on its genetic identity. Gorgonio Ruiz-Campos, Jose Luis Castro-Aguirre, and Francisco Javier Garcia-De Leon
- New record of Pacific sierra (Scomberomorus sierra) with notes on previous California records. Jonathan P. Williams, Daniel J. Pondella II, Brent M. Haggin, and Larry G. Allen
- Information for contributors to California Fish and Game. Vernon C. Bleich, Nina J. Kogut, and Debra Hamilton
California Fish and Game 96(4). Autumn 2010.
- Pathogen survey, gill Na-K-ATPase activity, and leukocyte profile of adult delta smelt. J. Scott Foott and John Bigelow
- Questioning reliability of bursa depth for age determination in ring-necked pheasants. Chester M. Hart and Robert D. Mallette
- Sport clamming in Humboldt Bay, California during 2008: comparisons with historical data. Brooke A. B. McVeigh, John J. Geibel, and Peter E. Kalvass
- Use of brackish marshes in the south San Francisco Bay by salt marsh harvest mice. Howard Shellhammer, Ron Duke, and Mary C. Orland
- Erratum. Konstantin A. Karpov, Mary Bergen, John J. Geibel, Philip M. Law, Charles F. Valle, and David Fox
California Fish and Game 96(3). Summer 2010.
- Managing the Tuolumne River for salmonids: assessment of the 1995 settlement agreement. Jeffrey S. McLain
- A brief survey of the mesopelagic fishes of the Gulf of Alaska. Nathan W. Raring and Duane E. Stevenson
- Assessing a point count sampling protocol in montane meadows. Amy K. Tegeler-Amones, Michael L. Morrison, Joseph M. Szewczak, and Chris Stermer
- Intraspecific predation in endangered Mohave tui chub. Thomas P. Archdeacon and Scott A. Bonar
- New records of Aldrovandia oleosa (Notacanthiformes: Halosauridae) from the eastern North Pacific Ocean. Daniel J. Kamikawa and Duane E. Stevenson
California Fish and Game 96(2). Spring 2010.
- Comparison of motion-activated cameras for wildlife investigations. Debra L. Hughson, Neal W. Darby, and Jason D. Dungan
- Analyzing and mapping fish assemblages off central California, USA. Wendy Morrison, Larry Claflin, Mark Monaco, Teresa Turk, and Deb Wilson-Vandenberg
- Cost of vessel insurance in collaborative fisheries research: strategies and perspectives from a program in California, USA. Matthew C. Kay, Hunter S. Lenihan, Jono R. Wilson, and Christopher J. Miller
- Distribution and ecology of the Russian River tule perch. David G. Cook, Shawn D. Chase, and David J. Manning
- Salt marsh harvest mice and width of salt marshes in the south San Franciso Bay. Howard S. Shellhammer and Ronald R. Duke
California Fish and Game 96(1). Winter 2010.
- Influence of coyotes on habitat use by mule deer following a wildfire. Chantal S. O’Brien, Paul R. Krausman, Hilary M. Boyd, Warren B. Ballard, Stan C. Cunninham, and James C. deVos, Jr.
- Safe and effective methods for trapping and color banding tricolored blackbirds in the Central Valley of California. Robert J. Meese and Stephen B. Simmons
- Age, growth, and matrurity of cabezon, Scorpaenichthys marmoratus, in California. Joanna M. Grebel and Gregor M. Cailliet
- Gender-mediated patterns in the movement of Calfiornia sheephead in the northern Channel Islands (Eastern Pacific). James Lindholm, Ashley Knight, and Michael Domeier
- Prospective (a priori) power analysis for detecting changes in density when sampling with strip transects. Konstantin A. Karpov, Mary Bergen, John J. Geibel, Philip M. Law, Charles F. Valle, and David Fox
- Survivorship of translocated kangaroo rats in the San Joaquin Valley, California. David J. Germano
- Using dual-frequency identification sonar (DIDSON) to estimate adult steelhead escapement in the San Lorenzo River, California. Kerrie Pipal, Mark Jessop, David Boughton, and Peter Adams
- In memoriam: Kevin O’Connor, Clu Cotter, Tom Stolberg, and Mike Donovan.
California Fish and Game 95(4). Autumn 2009.
- Field assessment of Bayluscide treatments for the control of New Zealand mudsnail Potamopyrgus antipodarum in a concrete-lined canal. Stella McMillin and Joel Trumbo
- Factors to consider when reprovisioning water developments used by mountain sheep. Vernon C. Bleich
- Estimating fish length from vertical morphometric parameters. Konstantin A. Karpov, Nina J. Kogut, and John J. Geibel
- The use of eastern Sacramento Valley vernal pool habitats by geese and swans. Raymond J. Bogiatto, Sabrina M. Wright-Myers, Stacy H. Kraus, Jennifer L. Moore, and John W. Hunt
- Occurrence of juvenile Mexican lookdown, Selene brevoortii (Gill, 1863) in Seal Beach, California. Erica T. Jarvis, Heather L. Gliniak, Otis Horning, and Christi Linardich
California Fish and Game 95(3). Summer 2009.
- Bioenergetic modeling evidence for a context-dependent role of food limitaion in California’s Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Matthew L. Nobriga
- The impact of the herbicides Imazapyr and Triclopyr Triethylamine on bullfrog tadpoles. Joel Trumbo and Daniel Waligora
- Thermal landscapes and resource selection by black-tailed deer: implications for large herbivores. R. Terry Bowyer and John G. Kie
- Experimental scavenging preference for the adult white shark, Carcharodon carcharias. Michael L. Domeier
California Fish and Game 95(2). Spring 2009.
- Panel trapping and reversible immobilization of wild Roosevelt elk with Telazol® and medetomidine. Rober J. Schaefer, Ben Gonzales, and Fred Schmalenburger
- Reconstructing the San Gabriel Mountains bighorn sheep population. Stephen A. Holl and Vernon C. Bleich
- Chinook salmon length/fecundity: a regression model for the Mokelumne River, California. Robert C. Kaufman, Ann G. Houck, Michelle Workman, and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- The number of census days needed to detect blunt-nosed leopard lizards, Gambelia sila. David J. Germano
California Fish and Game 95(1). Winter 2009.
- A new perspective and methods for pheasant management. Chester M. Hart, Steven J. Brueggemann, and Chad A. Fein
- Utilization by fishes of the Alviso Island ponds and adjacent waters in South San Francisco Bay following restoration to tidal influence. Michael K. Saiki and Francine H. Mejia
- A comparison of catch rate between a traditional, basket-style hoop net and a rigid, conical-style hoop net used in the California recreational lobster fishery. Douglas J. Neilson, Travis Buck, and Robert Read
- Northern range extension of the leopard shark, Triakis semifasciata. Deborah A. Farrer
California Fish and Game 94(4). Fall 2008.
- Evaluating GPS collar error: a critical evaluation of Televilt Posrec-Science™ collars and a method for screening location data. Jeffrey T. Villepique, Vernon C. Bleich, Becky M. Pierce, Thomas R. Stephenson, Randall A. Botta, and R. Terry Bowyer
- Aerial implementation monitoring of green tree retention in clearcuts on northern California private timperlands. Joe Croteau and Brett Furnas
- Pacific harbor seal census in California during May-July 2002 and 2004. Mark S. Lowry, James V. Carretta, and Karin A. Forney
- First record of a cymothoid isopod from a tidewater goby and three new tidewater goby localities in Humboldt County, California. Adam J. Frimodig and Greg H. Goldsmith
California Fish and Game 94(3). Summer 2008.
- Notes on the life history traits of the rosethorn rockfish, Sebastes helvomaculatus. Franklin R. Shaw and Donald R. Gunderson
- Influence of age and sex on dressed-whole body weight relationships in black-tailed deer. Rick L. Jones, Floyd W. Weckerly, and Dale R. McCullough
- Overbite clam, Corbula amurensis, defecated alive by white sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus. Nina J. Kogut
- First records of the fringed sculpin, Icelinus fimbriatus (Scorpaeniformes: Cottidae), off the west coast of Baja California, Mexico. Jesus Rodriguez-Romero, Deivis S. Palacios-Salgado, Juana Lopez Martinez, and Bernabe Aguilar Palomino
California Fish and Game 94(2). Spring 2008.
- Carnivore use of an avocado orchard in southern California. Mark Morchert, Frank W. Davis, and Jason Kreitler
- When desert tortoises are rare: testing a new protocol for assessing status. Kevin Keith, Kristin H. Berry, and James F. Weigand
- Status of the desert tortoise in Red Rock Canyon State Park. Kristin H. Berry, Kevin Keith, and Tracy Bailey
- A new elevation record for shasta salamander, Hydromantes shastae, in northern California. Len Lindstrand III
California Fish and Game 94(1). Winter 2008.
- Abundance and distribution of marine mammals in nearshore waters of Monterey Bay, California. Laird A. Henkel and James T. Harvey
- Spawning time, fecundity, habitat utilization, and parasites of a northern California population of tidewater goby, Eucyclogobius newberryi. Katie McGourty, Andrew Kinziger, and Greg Goldsmith
- Observations and prey of white sharks, Carcharodon carcharias, at Point Reyes National Seashore: 1982-2004. Scot D. Anderson, Benjamin H. Becker, and Sarah G. Allen
- A change in waterfowl species composition in the Honey Lake Valley, California. Elliott L. Matchett and James S. Sedinger
- Comparison of two camera trap systems for detecion of American marten on a winter landscape. Howard O. Clark, Jr. and Mary C. Orland
2007These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 93(4). Fall 2007.
- A re-evaluation of age, growth, and batch fecundity in the California barracuda, Sphyraena argentea, from southern California based on specimens taken from 2000 to 2002. David J. Bottinelli and Larry G. Allen
- Cold temperature-induced osmoregulatory failure: the physiological basis for tilapia winter mortality in the Salton Sea? Brian A. Sardella and Colin J. Brauner
- Relation between mortality of prickly sculpin and diurnal extremes in water quality at Rodeo Lagoon, Marin County, California. Barbara A. Martin, Michael K. Saiki, and Darren Fong
- Inconsistencies in historical geographic range maps: the gray wolf as example. Stephanie L. Shelton and Floyd W. Weckerly
California Fish and Game 93(3). Summer 2007.
- Non-indigenous aquatic organisms in the coastal waters of California. Stephen F. Foss, Peter R. Ode, Michael Sowby, and Marian Ashe
- Historic accounts, recent abundance, and current distribution of threatened chinook salmon in the Russian River, California. Shawn D. Chase, David J. Manning, David G. Cook, and Sean K. White
- Abundance and impacts of fallow deer leks at Point Reyes National Seashore. Gary M. Fellers and Michael S. Osbourn
- Occurrence of a eulachon, Thaleichthys pacificus, in the lower Sacramento River, California. Robert F. Vincik and Robert G. Titus
California Fish and Game 93(2). Spring 2007.
- Proliferative kidney disease (Tetracapsuloides bryosalmonae) in Merced River Hatchery juvenile chinook salmon:mortality and performance impairment in 2005 smolts. Scott Foott, R. Stone, and K. Nichols
- Size differences in wild and farmed red abalone: developing enforcement tools to combat illegal commercialization. Laura Rogers-Bennett and Arthur S. Melvin
- Life history and ecological characteristics of the Santa Ana sucker, Catostomus santaanae. Michael K. Saiki, Barbara A. Martin, Glen W. Knowles, and Patrick W. Tennant
- Marking of novel objects by kit foxes. Howard O. Clark, Jr.
- First record of the occurrence of the California grunion, Leuresthes tenuis, in Tomales Bay, California:a northern extension of the species. Dale Roberts, Robert N. Lea, and Karen L. M. Martin
California Fish and Game 93(1). Winter 2007.
- Diets of age-0 striped bass in the San Francisco estuary, 1973-2002. Marade E. Bryant and Jane D. Arnold
- The ecology of over-water nesting ducks in northeastern California. Sabrina M. Wright-Myers and Raymond J. Bogiatto
- Feeding preferences and size-related dietary shifts of treefish (Scorpaenidae: Sebastes serriceps) off Southern California. Ellen T. Kosman, Madhavi A. Colton, and Ralph J. Larson
- Consideration of the common name for Gila (Siphateles) bicolor vaccaceps, a tui chub in the Cow Head Basin of northeastern California. Stewart B. Reid
- First record of the wolf-eel, Anarrhichthys ocellatus (Pisces: Anarhichadidae), from Baja California, Mexico. Richard F. Feeney, Robert N. Lea, Sean Dyer, and Scott Gietler
2006These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 92(4). Fall 2006.
- California recrational abalone fishery catch and effort estimates for 2002 from a combined report card and telephone survey. Peter E. Kalvass and John J. Geibel
- A survey of the fishes of the Cabrillo National Monument, San Diego, California. Matthew T. Craig and Daniel J. Pondella, II
- Estimating relative numbers of salt marsh harvest mice, Reithrodontomys raviventris, in tidal marshes by trapping the high marsh zone. Ronald R. Duke and Howard S. Shellhammer
- Potential prey resources for marbled murrelets in central California. Laird A. Henkel and James T. Harvey
California Fish and Game 92(3). Summer 2006.
- Observations on the behavior of white sharks scavenging from a whale carcass at Point Reyes, California. Tobey H. Curtis, John T. Kelly, Karl L. Menard, R. Karl Laroche, Robert E. Jones, and A.. Peter Klimley
- The use of eastern Sacramento Valley vernal pools by ducks. Raymond J. Bogiatto and John D. Karnegis
- Using flushing counts and plumage development to assess juvenile production in pheasants. Chester M. Hart, Edward S. Smith, and Chad A. Fien
- Light-trapping of larval and juvenile northern pike, Esox lucius, from Lake Davis, California, Spring 2003. Ryan M. Brown
California Fish and Game 92(2). Spring 2006.
- Demography of desert mule deer in southeastern California. Jason P. Marshal, Leon M. Lesicka, Vernon C. Bleich, Paul R. Krausman, Gerald P. Mulcahy, and Nancy G. Andrew
- Off-highway vehicle impact on the flat-tailed horned lizard, Phrynosoma mcallii, in the Colorado Desert of southern California. Michael C. McGrann, Gavin R. Wright, Roman J. Dial, and Amy M. McGrann
- Influence of surface-water withdrawal on juvenile steelhead and their habitat in a south-central California nursery stream. Anthony P. Spina, Matthew R. McGoogan, and Thomas S. Gaffney
- New records of the flag cabrilla, Epinephelus labriformis (Serranidae: Epinephelinae), from the Pacific Coast of Baja California, Mexico, and San Diego, California, USA, with notes on the distribution of other groupers in California. Matthew T. Craig, Daniel J. Pondella II, and Robert N. Lea
- Captive breeding of spotted sand bass, Paralabrax maculatofasciatus, in southern California. Eric F. Miller and Larry G. Allen
- Distribution of tui chub in the Cow Head Basin, Nevada and California. G. Gary Scoppettone and Peter H. Rissler
California Fish and Game 92(1). Winter 2006.
- Life History Traits of the Greenstriped Rockfish, Sebastes elongatus. Franklin R. Shaw and Donald R. Gunderson
- Variance in survival of young mule deer in the Sierra Nevada, California. Vernon C. Bleich, Becky M. Pierce, Jennifer L. Jones, and R. Terry Bowyer
- Restoration efforts augment range extension of a federally- threatened plant, Suaeda californica (S. Watson 1874). Michael Walgren
- A diet analysis of the barn owl, Tyto alba, in northeastern California with notes on comparative methodologies. Raymond J. Bogiatto, Eve A. Bruce, Umberto F. Salinas, Mellisa J. Silvestrini, and Brian A. Sardella
- Ectoparasites found on salt marsh harvest mice in the northern salt marshes of Grizzly Bay, California. Howard O. Clark, Jr., Howard S. Shellhammer, and Stephen D. Gaimari
2005These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 91(4). Fall 2005.
- Historical status of coho salmon in streams of the urbanized San Francisco estuary, California. Robert A. Leidy, Gordon Becker, and Brett N. Harvey
- Giant garter snake surveys at some areas of historic occupation in the Grassland Ecological Area, Merced Co., and Mendota Wildlife Area, Fresno Co., California. Catherine Dickert
- Pintail distribution and selection of marsh types at Mendota Wildlife Area during fall and winter. Joseph P. Fleskes, David S. Gilmer, and Robert L. Jarvis
- A simple one-way door design for passive relocation of western burrowing owls. Howard O. Clark, Jr. and David L. Plumpton
California Fish and Game 91(3). Summer 2005.
- Mountain sheep and mining: implications for conservation and management. Michael W. Oehler, Sr., Vernon C. Bleich, R. Terry Bowyer, and Matthew C. Nicholson
- Domoic acid in the Santa Cruz wharf fishery. Spencer E. Fire and Mary W. Silver
- Total mercury concentrations in fillets of bluegill, redear sunfish, largemouth bass, and other fishes from Lake Natoma, Sacramento County, California. Michael K. Saiki, Barbara A. Martin, Thomas W. May, and Charles N. Alpers
- Change in area of winter-flooded and dry rice in the northern Central Valley of California determined by satellite imagery. Joseph P. Fleskes, William M. Perry, Kevin L. Petrik, Ruth Spell, and Fritz Reid
- Correct nomenclature for Sierra Nevada bighorn sheep. John D. Wehausen, Vernon C. Bleich, and Rob R. Ramey II
California Fish and Game 91(2). Spring 2005.
- Off-highway vehicle impact on Astragalus magdalenae var. peirsonii, and other critical plant species of the Algodones Dunes, California. Amy M. McGrann, Michael C. McGrann, and Roman Dial
- Description and identification of larval and juvenile cyprinids (fathead minnow, tui chub, and blue chub) from Upper Klamath Lake, Oregon. Stacy Remple and Douglas F. Markle
- Territory occupancy, reproductive success, and nest site characteristics of goshawks on managed timberlands in central and northern California 1993-2000. David J. Richter
- Acute oral and dermal toxicity of aquatic herbicides and a surfactant to garter snakes. Robert C. Hosea, Kalen Z. Bjurstrom, and Edward E. Littrell
- Leopard shark mating observed off La Jolla, California. Susan E. Smith
- Population density and body weight influences on home range size of feral hogs. Shane J. Kiefer and Floyd W. Weckerly
- A protective housing for instream data temperature loggers. Anthony P. Spina
California Fish and Game 91(1). Winter 2005.
- Responses of forest squirrels to group-selection timber harvesting in the central Sierra Nevada. Barrett A. Garrison, Robin L. Wachs, and Matthew L. Triggs
- Fish by-catch in dungeness crab, Cancer magister, research trawls off northern California 1966-1969. Daniel W. Gotshall and John J. Geibel
- An assessment of the hazard of a mixture of the herbicide Rodeo® and the non-ionic surfactant R-11® to aquatic invertebrates and larval amphibians. Joel Trumbo
- The effect of dietary supplemented L-arginine on the growth of juvenile hatchery reared white seabass, Atractoscion nobilis. Eric F. Miller and Michael P. Franklin
- Modifications to an agricultural water diversion to permit fish entrainment sampling. Zoltan Matica and Matt Nobriga
- Records of chameleon goby, Tridentiger trigonocephalus, in San Diego Bay, California. Daniel J. Pondella II and Zachary K. J. Chinn
2004These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 90(4). Fall 2004.An annotated check list of the amphibians and reptiles of California and adjacent waters. Mark R. Jennings
California Fish and Game 90(3). Summer 2004.
- Conservation of Paiute cutthroat trout:the genetic legacy of population transplants in an endemic California salmonid. Jan F. Cordes, Joshua A. Israel, and Bernie May
- Origin and distribution of leopard frogs, Rana pipiens complex, in California. Mark R. Jennings and Michael M. Fuller
- Current satus of southern steelhead/rainbow trout in San Mateo Creek, California. Tim E. Hovey
- Record of nesting by fulvous whistling-ducks, southern San Joaquin Valley, California. Greg Gerstenberg and Carl D. Rey
- First record of the cape cigarfish, Cubiceps capensis (Family Nomeidae), from California waters. John E. McCosker, Shane Anderson, John Richards, and Milton Love
California Fish and Game 90(2). Spring 2004.
- Harbor seal, Phoca vitulina richardii, population trends in the San Francisco Bay estuary, 1970-2002. Emma K. Grigg, Sarah G. Allen, Deborah E. Green, and Hal Markowitz
- Effect of water temperature on non-specific immune function and ceratomyxosis in juvenile chinook salmon and steelhead from the Klamath River. J. Scott Foott, Rick Harmon, and Ronald Stone
- Persistence of identifiable remains of white sturgeon juveniles in digestive tracts of northern pikeminnow. Dena M. Gadomski and Conrad N. Frost
- Predation by a golden eagle, Aquila chrysaetos, on a juvenile mountain sheep, Ovis canadensis. Vernon C. Bleich, E. Frances Cassirer, Victor L. Coggins, Lloyd E. Oldenburg, and David E. Hunter
- The occurrence of the Japanese mitten crab, Eriocheir japonica (De Haan), on the west coast of North America. Gregory C. Jensen and David A. Armstrong
California Fish and Game 90(1). Winter 2004.
- Setting priorities for native fish conservation: an example from the south Yuba River watershed. Mark Gard and Paul Randall
- Habitat selection by female northern pintails wintering in the Grassland Ecological Area, California. Joseph P. Fleskes, David S. Gilmer, and Robert L. Jarvis
- Potential for restoration of a California stream native fish assemblage. Mark Gard
- Acanthocephala cystacanth infections in sand crabs from Bodega Bay, California. Laura Royal, Murray Dailey, Richard Demaree, and Judy Sakanari
- Sexual dimorphism in wing measurements of common snipe. F. B. Edelmann
- Unusual predatory behavior of a southern sea otter. Carol B. Maehr
2003These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 89(4). Fall 2003.
- Responses of land birds to group selection logging in the central Sierra Nevada. Barrett A. Garrison, Robin L. Wachs, and Matthew L. Triggs
- Environmental variables associated with a chinook salmon redd in Deer Creek, California. Mark D. Bowen and S. Mark Nelson
- The occurrence of the white shark, Carcharodon carcharias, at the Point Reyes headlands, California. John T. Kelly and A. Peter Klimley
- Records of the exotic freshwater amphipod, Crangonyx pseudogracilis, in San Luis Obispo County, California. Richard L. Bottorff, Braelin A. Hamill, and Whittaker I. Hamill
- First record of the Pacific dog snapper, Lutjanus novemfasciatus, in California. Marc T. Tognazzini
California Fish and Game 89(3). Summer 2003.
- Fecundity and recruitment potential of coastal cutthroat trout in Oregon and Washington. Richard S. Wydoski
- Mark loss rate in hatchery-reared striped bass, Morone saxatilis, in the Sacramento-San Joaquin estuary, California. Samandha H. Vu and David W. Kohlhorst
- Diets of bullfrogs in relation to predation on giant garter snakes at Colusa National Wildlfe Refuge. David Aurioles-Gamboa, Alejandro Marin, and Sergio Aguiniga
- Assimilation of pelagic red crabs, Pleuroncodes planipes, by western gulls, Larus occidentalis. David Aurioles-Gamboa, Alejandro Marin, and Sergio Aguiniga
- New host record of avian tuberculosis in an American white pelican, Pelecanus erythrorhynchos. Pauline Nol, Roger E. Brannian, Brenda M. Berlowski, Mark J. Wolcott, and Tonie E. Rocke
California Fish and Game 89(2). Spring 2003.
- Forty-one years of vegetation change on permanent transects in northeastern California: implications for wildlife. Robert J. Schaefer, Douglas J. Thayer, and Timothy S. Burton
- The bird community of an oak woodland stream. Gregory A. Giusti, Robert J. Keiffer, and Charles E. Vaughan
- Habitat associations of steelhead trout near the southern extent of their range. Anthony P. Spina
- A temporal, sex-specific occurrence pattern among white sharks at the South Farallon Islands, California. Scot D. Anderson and Peter Pyle
- Responses of San Joaquin kit foxes to an oil-gas well fire. Howard O. Clark, Jr.
California Fish and Game 89(1). Winter 2003.
- Historical analysis of Diazinon from the San Joaquin River watershed with implications for exceeding water quality targets. Lenwood W. Hall, Jr.
- The physiological performance of golden trout at water temperatures of 10-19° C. Christopher A. Myrick and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Spatial, seasonal, and size-dependent variation in the diet of Sacramento pikeminnow in the Ell River, northwestern California. Rodney J. Nakamoto and Brett C. Harvey
- Occurrence of Baylisascaris procyonis in Marin, Sonoma, and Alameda counties in northern California. Valkyrie P. Kimball, Danielle Young, Ron Keith, Kevin R. Kazacos, and Jody Sakanari
- First reported occurrence of Porocephalus crotali (Pentastomida: Porocephalidae) in the Santa Catalina Island rattleless rattlesnake. Stephen R. Goldberg, Charles R. Bursey, and Kent R. Beaman
2002These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 88(4). Fall 2002.
- Larval delta smelt diet composition and feeding incidence: environmental and ontogenetic influences. Matthew L. Nobriga
- Sampling methods and trapping success trends for the Mojave ground squirrel, Spermophilus mohavensis. Matthew L. Brooks and John R. Matchett
- First record of the armed grunt, Conodon serrifer (Haemulidae), in southern California. Robert H. Moore and Kevin T. Herbinson
- Newly discovered food and habitat use by California red tree voles. Theodore Wooster and Pamela Town
- Time allocation by Aleutian canada geese during the nonbreeding season in California. Henning C. Stabins, Christian E. Grue, David A. Manuwal, and Stuart L. Paulus
California Fish and Game 88(3). Summer 2002.
- Seasonal feeding habits, growth, and movement of steelhead trout in the lower Mokelumne River, California. Joseph E. Merz
- The spotted ratfish, Hydrolagus colliei: notes on its biology with a redescription of the species (Holocephali: Chimaeridae). Dominique A. Didier and Lisa J. Rosenberger
- Structure, sampling gear and environmental associations, and historical changes in the fish assemblage of the southern Sacramento-San Joaquin delta. Frederick Feyrer and Michael P. Healey
- The Pacific golden-eyed tilefish, Caulolatilus affinis Gill (Teleostei: Malacanthidae), first occurrence in California. H. J. Walker, Jr., Philip A. Hastings, and Robert H. Steele
- Economical tripod rifle mount. Jason A. Hubbart
- New records of the Aleutian skate, Bathyraja aleutica, from northern California. Gerald R. Hoff
California Fish and Game 88(2). Spring 2002.
- Adult recoveries of winter and summer steelhead by release location on the Lewis River, Washington. Jack M. Tipping and Todd. D. Hilson
- Incidence of white sturgeon deformities in two reaches of the Columbia River. Lisa C. Burner and Thomas A. Rien
- Records of the Shokihaze goby, Tridentiger barbatus (Gunther), newly introduced into the San Francisco Estuary. Thomas A. Greiner
- Distribution of female northern pintails in relation to hunting and location of hunted and non-hunted habitats in the Grassland Ecological Area, California. Joseph P. Fleskes, David S. Gilmer, and Robert L. Jarvis
California Fish and Game 88(1). Winter 2002.
- Trends in California black bass fishing tournaments, 1990-1994, and comparisons with 1985-1989 data. Ivan L. Paulsen, Walt Beer, and Dennis P. Lee
- Nocturnal and diurnal haul-out patterns of harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardsi) at Castro Rocks, San Francisco Bay, California. Emma K. Grigg, Deborah E. Green, Sarah G. Allen, and Hal Markowitz
- Seasonal diets of wild pigs in oak woodlands of the central coast region of California. Ron E. Loggins, Jeffery T. Wilcox, Dirk H. VanVuren, and Rick A. Sweitzer
- Growth of American River fall-run chinook salmon in California’s Central Valley: temperature and ration effects. Christopher A. Myrick and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Record of the shoulderspot grenadier, Caerlorinchus scaphopsis, from northern California, U.S.A. Gerald R. Hoff
2001These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 87(4). Fall 2001.
- Survey of fishes and environmental conditions in Abbotts Lagoon, Point Reyes National Seashore, California. Michael K. Saiki and Barbara A. Martin
- Analysis of maturity in lingcod, Ophiodon elongatus. Kelly R. Silberberg, Thomas E. Laidig, and Peter B. Adams
- Museum collection records of mountain lions in California. Eric S. Long and Richard Sweitzer
California Fish and Game 87(3). Summer 2001.
- Observations of cleaning behavior by gian kelpfish, Heterostichus rostratus, island kelpfish, Alloclinus holderi, bluebanded goby, Lythrypnus dalli, and kelp bass, Paralabrax clathratus, on giant sea bass, Stereolepis gigas. Kathy deWet-Oleson and Milton Love
- Differences in mourning dove productivity among three time perids at Gray Lodge Wildlife Area, California. Michael R. Miller, Casey L. Stemler, Julie L. Yee, and Daniel S. Blankenship
- Diet of juvenile fall-run chinook salmon in the lower Mokelumne River, California. Joseph E. Merz
- Use of a car alarm sequence in the northern mockingbird repertoire. Howard O. Clark, Jr.
- First eastern Pacific records of the longfin mako shark, Isurus paucus, Guitar-Manday, 1966. David A. Ebert
California Fish and Game 87(2). Spring 2001.
- Trace metal concentrations in San Joaquin kit foxes from the southern San Joaquin Valley of California. Kristin G. Charlton, David W. Hird, and Linda K. Spiegel
- Association of fall-run chinook salmon redds with woody debris in the lower Mokelumne River, California. Joseph E. Merz
- First observations of spawining behavior in the giant sea bass. Tim E. Hovey
- A self-contained mobile surgical table for fish. Tim E. Hovey
- An economical safe-house for small mammals in pitfall traps. Tim E. Hovey
- In memoriam – William A. Dill (1910-2000). William Ellis Ripley
California Fish and Game 87(1). Winter 2001.
- Invertebrate drift and feeding habits of juvenile chinook salmon in the upper Sacramento River, California. Pamela A. Petrusso and Daniel B. Hayes
- Condition of juvenile chinook salmon in the upper Sacramento River, California. Pamela A. Petrusso and Daniel B. Hayes
- Gut contents of juvenile chinook salmon from the upper Sacramento River, California, during Spring 1998. Barbara A. Martin and Michael K. Saiki
2000These articles are available in print only at State Depository Libraries.
California Fish and Game 86(4). Fall 2000.
- Water and nutrient content of forage in Sonoran pronghorn habitat, Arizona. Lisa M. Fox, Paul R. Krausman, Michael L. Morrison, and Robert M. Kattnig
- Prevalance of Mycobacterium in wild and captive delta smelt. Dolores B. Antonio, Christina Swanson, Joseph J. Cech, Jr., Randy C. Mager, Sergei Doroshov, and Ronald P. Hedrick
- A list of freshwater, anadromous, and euryhaline fishes of California. Peter B. Moyle and Liam H. Davis
- Discovery of Shasta salamanders in atypical habitat. Len Lindstrand III
California Fish and Game 86(3). Summer 2000.
- Mineral content of Sonoran pronghorn forage. Lisa M. Fox, Paul R. Krausman, Michael L. Morrison, and Ted H. Noon
- Description of laboratory-reared larvae of California grunion and comparisons with larvae of topsmelt and jacksmelt. Lourdes Vasquez-Yeomans, Martha Valdez-Moreno, and William J. Richards
- Annotated list of the birds of California. California Bird Records Committee
- Preliminary observations of the behavior of male, flat-tailed horned lizards before and after an off-highway vehicle race in California. Nancy C. Nicolai and Jeffrey E. Lovich
- Observation of the prickly shark, Echinorhinus cookei, from the oxygen minimum zone in Santa Barbara Basin, California. James P. Barry and Norman Maher
California Fish and Game 86(2). Spring 2000.
- DNA-based genetic markers in black-tailed and mule deer for forensic applications. Kenneth C. Jones, Kenneth F. Levine, and James D. Banks
- Survivorship and cause-specific mortality in sympatric populations of mountain sheep and mule deer. Robert J. Schaefer, Steven G. Torres, and Vernon C. Bleich
- Food habits of California corbina in southern California. John W. O’Brien and Charles F. Valle
- Age and growth of tui chub in Eagle Lake, California. Patrick K. Crain and Daniel M. Corcoran
- The first eastern Pacific report of the sharptail mola, Mola lanceolata (Tetraodontiformes: Molidae). Eduardo F. Balart, Jose Luis Castro-Aguirre, and Edgar Amador-Silva
California Fish and Game 86(1). Winter 2000.
- Symposium overview: damage to and recovery of aquatic and riparian ecosystems in the upper Sacramento River form the Cantara chemical spill. Barrett A. Garrison
- Esitmating the number of fish and crayfish killed and the proportions of wild and hatchery rainbow trout in the Cantara spill. David G. Hankin and Dana McCanne
- Molecular analysis of population genetic structure and recolonization of rainbow trout following the Cantara spill. Jennifer L. Nielsen, Erika L. Heine, Christina A. Gan, and Monique C. Fountain
- Possible effects of the Cantara spill on Amphibian populations of the upper Sacramento River. Claudia Luke and David Sterner
- Possible impacts of the Cantara spill on reptile populations along the upper Sacramento River. Claudia Luke and David Sterner
- Restoration planning for the Cantara Metam sodium spill: a group multiattribute decision analysis approach. Daniel J. Sheehy, Craig P. Martz, Marck C. Stopher, Stephen M. Turek, Jack W. Miller, and Joseph P. Milton
- Hindsight analysis for the Cantara spill natural resource damage assessment. Mark C. Stopher
- Bibliography of Cantara spill reports.
California Fish and Game 85(4). Fall 1999.
- Distribution and intensity of hunting and trapping activity in the East Mojave National Scenic Area, California. Vernon C. Bleich and Andrew M. Pauli
- Juvenile delta smelt use of shallow-water and channel habitats in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. Geir A. Aasen
- Diver disturbance in kelp forests. Tim N. Schaeffer, Michael S. Foster, Maria E. Landreau, and Ronald K. Walder
- Reproduction in the red diamond rattlesnake in California. Stephen R. Goldberg
- First reported occurrence of Phidascaris labiatopapillosa (Nematoda: Ascarididae) in the red diamond rattlesnake. Stephen R. Goldberg and Charles R. Bursey
- In Memoriam: Irene Timossi (1951-1998). Christopher Timossi, Barrett A. Garrison, and Reginald H. Barrett
California Fish and Game 85(3). Summer 1999.
- California Wildlife Habitats Relationships System: effects of county attributes on prediction accuracy for bird species. Barrett A. Garrison, Richard A. Erickson, Michael A. Patten, and Irene C. Timossi
- Thermal preference of female threespine sticklebacks under fed and food-deprived conditions. Christopher A. Myrick and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Range extensions of 3 species of macrourids from the west coast of North America. Gerald R. Hoff
- First eastern Pacific record of the goblin shark, Mitsukurina owstoni (Lamniformes: Mitsukurinidae). John K. Ugoretz and Jeffrey A. Seigel
- Northernmost occurrence of the slender tuna, Allothunnus fallai, in the Pacific Ocean. Kurt M. Schaefer and John Childers
- Predation by juvenile hatchery salmonids on wild fall Chinook salmon fry in the Lewis River, Washington. Shane W. Hawkins and Jack M. Tipping
- First record of deepwater bass, Serranus aequidens (Serranidae), from California. Daniel J. Pondella, II
- Northern range extension of the white grunt, Haemulopsis leuciscus. Jorge A. Rasales-Casian and Gorgonio Ruiz-Campos.
- An animal track casting method using dolomite, sand, and spray adhesive. Howard O. Clark, Jr.
- Use of buried and non-buried traps to sample desert rodents. Christopher S. Fitzgerald, Paul R. Krausman, and Michael L. Morrison
- Avian conservation, research and management (Book Review). Liam H. Davis
California Fish and Game 85(2). Spring 1999.
- Errata: Van Vuren, D., T. G. Moore, and C. A. Ingels. 1998. Prey selection by barn owls using artificial nest boxes. California Fish and Game 84:127-132.
- Movement of California halibut along the coast of California. Mason Posner and Robert J. Lavenberg
- Expandable and economical long-term collars for juvenile mule deer. Vernon C. Bleich and Becky M. Pierce
- Movement patterns and survivorship of black-tailed deer migrating across Trinity Reservoir. Brian B. Boroski and Reginald H. Barrett
- Stranding records of the oarfish in and around Bahia de la Paz, Mexico. Fernando Salazar-Hermoso, Edgardo Ochoa-Lopez, and Carlos Villavicencio-Garayzar
- Evidence for freshwater spawning by striped mullet and return of the Pacific tenpounder in the lower Colorado River. Robert H. Bettaso and Jeffrey N. Young
- A first Mexican record of the Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. Jose De La Cruz-Aguero
- First records of morphological abnormalities in leatherjack. Adrian F. Gonzalez-Acosta, Gustavo De La Cruz-Aguero, Ruben Rodriguez-Sanchez, Jose De La Cruz-Aguero, and Jose Luis Castro-Aguirre
- An observation of blue shark parturition in the Southern California Bight. Leeanne Laughlin and John Ugoretz
- A blood fluke from a northern pintail in California. Andrew G. Gordus
California Fish and Game 85(1). Winter 1999.
- Biological characteristics of mule deer in California’s San Jacinto Mountains. Robert J. Schaefer
- Effects of stocking density on growth, gross composition, and plasma and hepatic metabolite levels in palmetto bass, Morone saxatalis × M. chrysops. Fu-Guang Liu, Shenn-Der Yang and Hon-Cheng Chen
- Status of the delta smelt in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. Dale A. Sweetnam
- Status of splittail in California. Randall D. Baxter
- Status of striped bass in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. David W. Kohlhorst
- Status of white sturgeon in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. Raymond G. Schaffter and David W. Kohlhorst
- The Marine County breeding bird atlas and Atlas of the breeding birds of Monterey County, California (Book Reviews). Philip Unitt
California Fish and Game 84(4). Fall 1998.
- A new tool for kelp restoration. Julio A. Vasquez and Ronald H. McPeak
- Deer gender determination by polymerase chain reaction: validation study and application to tissues, bloodstains, and hair forensic samples in California. Arlette Gilson, Michael Syvanen, Kenneth Levine, and James Banks
- First observations of vermillion rockfish courtship are from a harvest refuge. Marty L. Gingras, David A. VenTresca, Michal D. Donnellan, and Jennifer L. Fisher
- Homing behavior of a sevengill shark released from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Gilbert Van Dykhuizen, Henry F. Mollet, and Juan Manuel Ezcurra
- A range extension for the volcano barnacle, Tetraclita rubescens. Sean R. Connolly and Joan Roughgarden
- In Memoriam: Elden H. Vestal. Robert E. Vestal
California Fish and Game 84(3). Summer 1998.
- Physical condition, morphometrics, and growth characteristics of mountain lions. Kristin G. Charlton, David W. Hird, and E. Lee Fitzhugh
- Limitations of nuclear magnetic resonance analysis of fecal bile for taxonomic identification of contemporary and extinct mammals. Jeffrey S. deRopp, Jerold H. Theis, Jim I. Mead, and Vernon C. Bleich
- Splittail fecundity and egg size. Frederick Feyrer and Randall Baxter
- Prey selection by barn owls using artificial nest boxes. Dirk Van Vuren, Thomas G. Moore, and Chuck A. Ingels
- Adult and juvenile anadromous salmonid migration timing in California streams. Linda Fukushima and E. W. Lesh
- Occurrence of the red pike-conger, Cynoponticus coniceps (Jordan and Gilbert, 1881) (Pisces:Muraenesocidae), in the Gulf of California. Gorgonio Ruiz-Campos, Salvador Contreras-Balderas, and Maria De Lourdes Lozano-Vilano
California Fish and Game 84(2). Spring 1998.
- Nesting ecology of ducks at Eagle Lake, California. Raymond J. Bogiatto
- California Wildlife Habitat Relationships System: a test in coastal scrub and annual grassland habitats. Judd A. Howell and Reginald H. Barrett
- Experimental analysis of 3 internal marking methods for red sea urchins. Peter E. Kalvass, Jon M. Hendrix, and Phillip M. Law
- Occurrence of xanthic grass rockfish, Sebastes rastrelliger. David Cripe
- In Memoriam: Richard S. Croker. Wm. Ellis Ripley
California Fish and Game 84(1). Winter 1998.
- Extension of 2 nonindigenous fishes, Acanthogobius flavimanus and Poecilia latipinna into San Diego Bay marsh habitats. Gregory D. Williams, Julie S. Desmond, and Joy B. Zedler
- Nondestructive diet analysis of the leopard shark from 2 sites in Tomales Bay, California. Jason D. Webber and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Population size of the peninsular pronghorn in Baja California Sur, Mexico. Jorge Cancino, Alfredo Ortega-Rubio, and Ricardo Rodriguez-Estrella
- Establishment of the wakasagi, Hypomesus nipponensis, in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. Geir A. Aasen, Dale A. Sweetnam, and Lisa M. Lynch
- In-situ videography calibrated with 2 parallel lasers for calculation of fish length. Marty L. Gingras, David A. VenTresca, and Richard H. McGonigal
- An economical, portable apparatus for conducting static thermal and chemical toxicity tests on amphibian eggs and larvae. Mark R. Jennings
- Use of military helicopters to survey an elk population in north coastal California. Floyd W. Weckerly and Karen E. Kovacs
- Consumption of juvenile salmonids by adult steelhead in the Cowlitz River, Washington. Geraldine E. Vander Haegen, Jack M. Tipping, and Stan A. Hammer
California Fish and Game 83(4). Fall 1997.
- Variation in use of the Klamath River Estuary by juvenile chinook salmon. Michael Wallace and Barry W. Collins
- Utility of 10-day censuses to estimate population size of blunt-nosed leopard lizards. David J. Germano, Daniel F. Williams, and Larry J. Saslaw
- Survey of small fishes and environmental conditions in Mugu Lagoon, California, and tidally influenced reaches of its tributaries. Michael K. Saiki
- New equipment for performing measured-distance diving surveys. John Ugoretz, David A. VenTresca, Christine A. Pattison, Seven E. Blair, Robert S. Hornady, Joshua N. Plant, and Andrew A. Voss
California Fish and Game 83(3). Summer 1997.
- Water chemistry and community structure of saline and hypersaline salt evaporation ponds in San Francisco Bay, California. David G. Lonzarich and Jerry J. Smith
- Prevalence, relative abundance, and mean intensity of plerocercoids of Proteocephalus sp. in young striped bass in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. Jane D. Arnold and Holly S. Yue
- Bacterial shell diseases in crangonid shrimp. Jane D. Arnold and Gary L. Hendrickson
- Conversions between total, fork, and standard lengths for lingcod, Ophiodon elongatus. Thomas E. Laidig, Peter B. Adams, Kelly R. Silberberg, and Heidi E. Fish
- Monitoring bird populations by point counts (Book Review). Gerald T. Braden
California Fish and Game 83(2). Spring 1997.
- Mortality rates of white catfish in California’s Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Raymond G. Schaffter and David W. Kohlhorst
- Growth of white catfish in California’s Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Raymond G. Schaffter
- Demography of mountain sheep in the East Chocolate Mountains, California. Nancy G. Andrew, Vernon C. Bleich, Peter V. August, and Steven G. Torres
- Range extension of the quillback rockfish, Sebastes malinger, to the Southern California Bight. Milton S. Love and Robert N. Lea
- The first occurrence of the panamic sergeant major, Abudefduf troschelii (Pomacentridae), in California. Daniel J. Pondella, II
- A manual of California vegetation (Book Review). Mark W. Schwartz
California Fish and Game 83(1). Winter 1997.
- Comparative feeding habits of juvenile chinook salmon, steelhead, and Sacramento squawfish in the lower American River, California. Joseph E. Merz and C. David Vanicek
- Effects of aquaculture on habitat use by wintering shorebirds in Tomales Bay, California. John P. Kelly, Jules G. Evens, Richard W. Stallcup, and David Wimpfheimer
- Roosevelt elk along the Prairie Creek drainage: an evaluation of estimating abundance and herd composition. Floyd W. Weckerly
- Photographic evidence of white shark movements in California waters. Scot D. Anderson and Kenneth J. Goldman
- Preliminary estimate of rice present in strip-harvested fields in the Sacramento Valley, California. Michael R. Miller and Glenn D. Wylie
- A Pacific fat sleeper, Dormitator latifrons (Perciformes: Eleotrididae), from Lake Merritt, San Francisco Bay, California. Douglas J. Long
- The ragged-tooth shark, Odontaspis ferox (Risso 1810), in the Gulf of California. Carlos J. Villavicencio-Garayzar
- Brushfires in California: ecology and resource management (Book Review). Kevin Shaffer and James C. Dice
- White sturgeon spawning migrations and location of spawning habitat in the Sacramento River, California. Raymond G. Schaffter
- Relative importance of prey items to California halibut. Stephen P. Wertz and Michael L. Domeier
- Prevalance of antibodies against selected diseases in San Joaquin kit foxes at Camp Roberts, California. William G. Standley and Patrick M. McCue
- The occurrence of hydrogen sulfide gas in San Joaquin kit fox dens and rodent burrows in an oil field in California. Linda K. Spiegel and Tony C. Dao
- Introduction of the ridgetail prawn, Exopalaemon carinicauda, into San Francisco Bay, California. Mary K. Wicksten
California Fish and Game 82(4). Fall 1996.
- Comparative feeding habits of juvenile chinook salmon, steelhead, and Sacramento squawfish in the lower American River, California. Joseph E. Merz and C. David Vanicek
- Effects of aquaculture on habitat use by wintering shorebirds in Tomales Bay, California. John P. Kelly, Jules G. Evens, Richard W. Stallcup, and David Wimpfheimer
- Roosevelt elk along the Prairie Creek drainage: an evaluation of estimating abundance and herd composition. Floyd W. Weckerly
- Photographic evidence of white shark movements in California waters. Scot D. Anderson and Kenneth J. Goldman
- Preliminary estimate of rice present in strip-harvested fields in the Sacramento Valley, California. Michael R. Miller and Glenn D. Wylie
- A Pacific fat sleeper, Dormitator latifrons (Perciformes: Eleotrididae), from Lake Merritt, San Francisco Bay, California. Douglas J. Long
- The ragged-tooth shark, Odontaspis ferox (Risso 1810), in the Gulf of California. Carlos J. Villavicencio-Garayzar
- Brushfires in California: ecology and resource management (Book Review). Kevin Shaffer and James C. Dice
California Fish and Game 82(3). Summer 1996.
- An analysis of commercial passenger fishing vessel fisheries for kelp bass and barred sand bass in the Southern California Bight. Milton S. Love, Andrew Brooks, and J. R. Raymond Ally
- Conditoin and reproductive performance of female mule deer in the central Sierra Nevada. T. J. Taylor
- Southern range extension of the harlequin rockfish, Sebastes variegatus (Scorpaenidae). James Wilder Orr and David C. Baker
- Distribution of nesting greater sandhill cranes in the South Fork Pit River Valley, Modoc County, California. Thomas A. Roberts, Rebecca Cull, and Anne Flannery
- A red abalone tag return after 16 years at liberty. Ian K. Taniguchi and Peter L. Haaker
- First freshwater record of Pacific lamprey, Lamptera tridentata, from Baja California, Mexico. Gorgonio Ruiz-Campos and Salvador Gonzalez-Guzman
- Past occurrence of eulachon, Thaleichthys pacificus, in streams tributary to Humboldt Bay, California. Mark R. Jennings
California Fish and Game 82(2). Spring 1996.
- Revised measurements for classification of age of sage grouse from wings. Alyssa A. Ottomeier and John A. Crawford
- Recent collections of exotic aquarium fishes in the freshwaters of Oregon and thermal tolerance of oriental weatherfish and pirapatinga. Daniel J. Logan, Erin L. Bibles, and Douglas F. Markle
- Age and pathological findings for two female stellar sea lions stranded on the northern California coast. Lance Morgan, Krista Hanni, and Linda Lowenstine
- Zooplankters consumed by blue rockfish during brief access to a current off California’s Sonoma coast. Edmund S. Hobson, James R. Chess, and Daniel F. Howard
- First record of the green crab, Carcinus maenas, in Humboldt Bay, California. Todd W. Miller
- A boat-mounted system to synoptically record vessel position and sea-surface temperature. Marty L. Gingras, David A. VenTresca, and Duncan S. Short
- Occurrence of porcupines along the San Joaquin River, Fresno and Madera counties, California. Waring E. Laurendine, Marshall L. Morton, and David L. Chesemore
- First confirmed record of teleost predation on a shark egg case. Douglas J. Long
California Fish and Game 82(1). Winter 1996.
- Observations on the macrobenthos of Lake Tahoe, California-Nevada. Ted C. Frantz and Almo J. Cordone
- Use of food items by sex and age classes of coyotes. Brian L. Cypher, Kenneth A. Spencer, and Jerry H. Scrivner
- Notes on the occurrence and depth distribution of the bat ray in the Southern California Bight, with comments on the effect of trawl size on estimates of abundance. Pamela A. Morris, Michael Domeier, and John Stephens, Jr.
- Comparison of juvenile chinook salmon catches in a pushnet and midwater trawl. Paul F. Raquel
- Observations on the use of two non-native plants by the Point Arena mountain beaver. Kimberley M. Fitts
California Fish and Game 81(4). Fall 1995.
- Potential food sources and feeding ecology of juvenile fall chinook salmon in California’s Mattole River Lagoon. Morgan S. Busby, and Roger A. Barnhart
- Electrophoretic evidence for multiple mating in tule perch. Anne Phelps, Devin Bartley, and Dennis Hedgecock
- Effects of winter floods on threespine sticklebacks in a restored urban creek. James F. Gillooly and George W. Barlow
- The tiger shark, Galeocerdo cuvier, in coastal southern California waters. Jeffrey A. Seigel, Douglas J. Long, James M. Rounds, and Juan Hernandez
- Use of wood duck nest boxes by swarming honey bees in California’s Central Valley. Terri Jensen, Debbie Petersen, Michael D. Hubbartt, and J. Brian Davis
- Errata: Cronin, M.A., and V. C. Bleich. 1995. Mitochondrial DNA variation among populations and subspecies of mule deer in California. California Fish and Game 81:45-54
California Fish and Game 81(3). Summer 1995.
- Record of the bigeye trevally, Caranx sexfasciatus, and Mexican lookdown, Selene brevoorti, with notes on other carangids from California. Robert N. Lea and H. J. Walker, Jr.
- Current distribution of the American marten, Martes americana, in California. Thomas E. Kucera, William J. Zielinski, and Reginald H. Barrett
- Accuracy of cementum age assignments for black bears. Jeffrey A. Keay
- Black bear reproductive rates in Yosemite National Park. Jeffrey A. Keay
- In Memoriam: David C. Zeiner. Barrett A. Garrison
California Fish and Game 81(2). Spring 1995.
- Mitochondrial DNA variation among populations and subspecies of mule deer in California. Matthew A. Cronin and Vernon C. Bleich
- Using spotlight counts to estimate mule deer population size and trends. John G. Kie and Brian B. Boroski
- Invasion of a third Asian goby, Tridentiger bifasciatus, into California. Scott A. Matern and Kevin J. Fleming
- Feeding on euphausiids by Octopus rubescens. Thomas E. Laidig, Peter B. Adams, Charles H. Baxter, and John L. Butler
- First occurrence of the yellow bullhead, Ameiurus natalis, in the lower Colorado River, Baja California, Mexico. Gorgonio Ruiz-Campos
- Prehistoric fish remains, including thicktail chub, from the Pajaro River system. Peter K. Schulz
- Observations on recruitment in curl-leaf mountain mahogany as a result of selective pruning. Brian D. Barton
- Webs and scales, physical and ecological processes in marine fish recruitment (Book Review). Doyle A. Hanan
California Fish and Game 81(1). Winter 1995.
- Food habits of harbor seals inhabiting Elkhorn Slough, California. James T. Harvey, Roger C. Helm, and G. Victor Morejohn
- Embryonic development, larval culture, and settling of American pearl-oyster (Pteria sterna, Gould) spat. Orfelina Araya-Nunez, Bjorn Ganning, and Fernando Buckle-Ramirez
- Coyote activity levels in relation to presence of California gulls at Mono Lake, California. John A. Shivik and Robert L. Crabtree
- The use of Telazol for Chemical restraint of black bears (Ursus americanus) in northern California. Steven F. Burton and Fred Schmalenberger
- Status of the muskrat in the Valle de Mexicali and Delta Del Rio Colorado, Mexico. Eric Mellink
- Female reproductive potential and winter growth of African clawed frogs (Pipidae: Xenopus laevis) in California. Michael J. McCoid and Thomas H. Fritts
- Recent photograph of a Sierra Nevada red fox. Thomas E. Kucera
California Fish and Game 80(4). Fall 1994.
- Changing patterns of goose harvest on California public hunting areas. Joseph P. Fleskes, Jane M. Hicks, David S. Gilmer, and Daniel Yparraguirre
- Determining the biological significance of changes in predicted habitat values from the California Wildlife Habitat Relationships System. Barrett A. Garrison
- Retention, recognition, and effects on survival of several tags and marks for white sturgeon. Raymond C. P. Beamesderfer and Craig A. Foster
- An observation of high fecundity of spotted owls in California. Theodore Wooster
California Fish and Game 80(3). Summer 1994.
- Blood and muscle characteristics of leopard shark (Triakis semifasciata) and brown smoothhound (Mustelus henlei). Jose D. Setka and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Bioregions: an ecological and evolutionary perspective and a proposal for California. Hartwell H. Welsh, Jr.
- A prehistoric sturgeon fishery in San Pablo, Contra Costa County, California: an addendum. Kenneth W. Gobalet
- California forests and woodlands: a natural history (Book Review). Barrett A. Garrison
- Wild pigs of the United States and their history, morphology, and current status (Book Review). Liam H. Davis
- In Memoriam: Leo Shapovalov 1908-1994. Almo J. Cordone
California Fish and Game 80(2). Spring 1994.
- Relationship between sea otter range expansion and red abalone abundance and size distribution in central California. Fred Wendell
- The effect of different harvest methods on sea palm (Popstelsia palmaeformis) sporophyll growth. Peter E. Kalvass
- Duck and shorebird reproduction in the grasslands of central Califoria. Roger L. Hothem and Daniel Welsh
- Roosevelt elk dietary quality in northern coastal California. Peter J. Gogan and Reginald H. Barrett
- A portable field sampling table for dock-side sampling of fish. Robert R. Leos
California Fish and Game 80(1). Winter 1994.
- Analysis of two mark-recapture methods to estimate the fall chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) spawning run in Bogus Creek, California. LB Boydston
- Simulation study of salmon carcass survey by capture-recapture. Philip M. W. Law
- Recent evidence for the formation of annual growth increments in the otoliths of young pacific sardines (Sardinops sagax). J. Thomas Barnes and Terry J. Foreman
- An efficient technique for capturing swimming deer. Brian B. Boroski and Patrick L. McGlaughlin
- Waterfowl killed by lightning. Dale Whitmore
California Fish and Game 79(4). Fall 1993.
- Spawning season and microhabitat use by California golden trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita) in the southern Sierra Nevada. Jerome A. Stefferud
- Grazing in the Sierra Nevada: home range and space use patterns of mule deer as influenced by cattle. Eric R. Loft, John G. Kie, and John W. Menke
- First record of the tripletail (Lobotes surinamensis, Family Lobotidae) in California waters. James M. Rounds and Richard F. Feeney
- Western gray squirrels in Baja California. Eric Mellink and Joaquin Contreras
- Geographical and size records of the electric stargazer (Astroscopus zephyreus) Gilbert and Starks, 1896 (Pisces: Uranoscopidae). Marcos De Jesus-Roldan, Lloyd Ellis, and Felipe Galvan Magana
California Fish and Game 79(3). Summer 1993.
- Food habits of the brown smoothhound shark (Mustelus henlei) from two sites in Tomales Bay. Steven L. Haeseker and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Distribution, ecology, and status of the fishes of the San Joaquin River drainage, California. Larry R. Brown and Peter B. Moyle
- Fire effects on a montane Sierra Nevada meadow. Robert S. Boyd, Roy A. Woodward, and Gary Walter
- A sampler for quantifying the vertical distribution of macroinvertebrates in shallow wetlands. Jeffrey Mackay and Ned H. Euliss, Jr.
- Tule elk relocated to Brushy Mountain, Mendocino County, California. Kent B. Livezey
California Fish and Game 79(2). Spring 1993.
- Identification of San Joaquin kit fox (Vulpes macrotis mutica) tracks on aluminum tracking plates. Susan G. Orloff, Anne W. Flannery, and Katy C. Belt
- Seasonal occurrence of leatherback sea turtles (Dermochelys coriacea) in the Monterey Bay region, with notes on other sea turtles, 1986-1991. Christopher H. Starbird, Alan Baldridge, and James T. Harvey
- A standard weight (Ws) equation for white sturgeon. Raymond C. Beamesderfer
- A comparison of mule deer survey techniques in the Sonoran Desert of California. J. Rock Thompson and Vernon C. Bleich
- Harvest slot limit rationale for Lahontan cutthroat trout at Pyramid Lake, Nevada. M. K. Alam, P. L. Wagner, D. F. Mosley, and N. L. Vucinich
- Predation on small northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax) by large sliverides (Atherinidae). James A Coyer and Sharon J. Hall
- Ground squirrels feeding on eelgrass. Aryan I. Roest
- Guide to northeast Pacific rockfishes genera Sebastes and Sebastolobus (Book Review). Robert N. Lea
California Fish and Game 79(1). Winter 1993.
- Trends in black bass fishing tournaments in California, 1985-1989. Dennis P. Lee, Ivan Paulsen, and Walt Beer
- Distribution of rainbow trout, largemouth bass, and threadfin shad in Lake Casitas, California. Arlo W. Fast
- Environmental contaminants in canvasbacks wintering on San Francisco Bay, California. J. Eric Logan, Kathy L. Day, Mark Marks, and Olga Assemien
- Comments on research, publications, and California’s longest continuously published journal. Vernon C. Bleich
California Fish and Game 78(4). Winter 1992.
- Molt frequency and size-class distribution in the California spiny lobster (Panulirus interruptus) as indicated by beach-cast carapaces at San Nicolas Island, California. James L. Bodkin and Linda Browne
- Critical thermal maxima and oxygen minima of five fishes from the upper Klamath Basin. Daniel T. Castleberry and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Illegal harvest of spike bucks during a regulated mule deer hunt. Clark S. Winchell and Slader G. Buck
- Confirmation of the northern range of the snubnose sculpin (Orthonopias triacis). Douglas J. Long
- The Cortez grunt (Haemulon flaviguttatum) recorded from two embayments in southern California. Robert N. Lea and Richard H. Rosenblatt
- Observations of the prickly shark (Echinorhinus cookei) in Monterey Bay, California. Nicole L. Crane and John N. Heine
- Record of the alligator gar (Lepisosteus spatula) from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Paul F. Raquel
- Prey storing behavior in the panimic green moray eel (Gymnothorax castaneus) Gustavo D. Danemann
- Northern range extension of the vermillion rockfish (Sebastes miniatus). Victoria M. O’Connell, David A. Gordon, Andrew Hoffmann, and Kelly Hepler
- California Fish and Game, California’s longest continuously published journal. Eric R. Loft
California Fish and Game 78(3). Summer 1992.
- Population genetic structure of Coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) in California. Devin M. Bartley, Boyd Bentley, Paul G. Olin, and Graham A. E. Gall
- Culture of spotted seatrout, orangemouth corvina, and their hybrids. Britt W. Bumguardner, Robert L. Colura, Anne Henderson-Arzapalo, and Anthony F. Maciorowski
- Notes on a mass stranding of Baird’s beaked whales in the Gulf of California, Mexico. David Aurioles-Gamboa
- A comparison of rumen ciliates in black-tailed deer from California and Hawaii. Wouter Van Hoven, Frances M. C. Gilchrist, and Thomas C. Telfer
- Swallow mortality during the “March miracle” in California. E. E. Littrell
- Observation of black bear (Ursus americanus) predation on Columbian black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus). Stephen L. Conger and Gregory A. Giusti
California Fish and Game 78(2). Spring 1992.
- A review of the California caddisflies (Trichoptera) listed as candidate species on the 1989 federal “Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; animal notice and review. Nancy A. Erman and Christopher D. Nagano
- Age, length, weight, reproductive cycle and fecundidty of the monkeyface prickleback (Cebidichthys violaceus). William H. Marshall and Tina Wyllie Echeverria
- Changes in distribution of cackling Canada geese in autumn. Dennis G. Raveling and David S. Zezulak
- The use of high-cut stumps by birds. Michael L. Morrison
- Natural history of the White-Inyo Range, eastern California (Book Review). Vernon C. Bleich
- Midnight wilderness: journeys in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (Book Review). Vernon C. Bleich
- In Memoriam: Greg Cook, Sonia Hamilton, Carl S. Johnson, Robert Jean, and Charles P. Walters. Eric R. Loft
California Fish and Game 78(1). Winter 1992.
- Revisiting overpopulated deer ranges in the United States. Paul R. Krausman, Lyle K. Sowls, and Bruce D. Leopold
- The pH and acid neutralizing capacity of ponds containing Pseudacris regilla larvae in an alpine basin of the Sierra Nevada. Chad R. Soiseth
- The evolution of California’s herring roe fishery: catch allocation, limited entry, and conflict resolution. Jerome D. Spratt
- Erratum: Bleich, V. C., and D. Racine. 1991. Mountain beaver (Aplodontia rufa) from Inyo County, California. California Fish and Game 77(3):153-155.
California Fish and Game 77(4). Fall 1991.
- A conservation-oriented classification system for the inland waters of California. Peter B. Moyle and John P. Ellison
- Gonad maturity, induction of spawning, larval breeding, and growth in the American pearl-oyster (Pteria sterna, Gould). Orfelina Araya-Nunes, Bjorn Ganning, and Fernando Buckle-Ramirez
- Helicopter drive-netting techniques for mule deer capture on Great Basin ranges. Ron Thomas and Brian Novak
- Home range, habitat use, disturbance, and mortality of Columbian black-tailed deer in Mendocino National Forest. Kent B. Livezey
- Harbor seal predation on a wolf-eel. Alan Baldridge and Lynn L. Rogers
- First record of partial ambicoloration in spotted turbot (Pleuronichthys ritteri). Jesus Rodriguez Romeo, L. Andres Abitia Cardenas, and Felipe Galvan Magana
California Fish and Game 77(3). Summer 1991.
- A checklistof the amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals of California. William F. Laudenslayer, Jr., William E. Grenfell, Jr., and David C. Zeiner
- Mercury in western grebes at Lake Berryessa and Clear Lake, California. E. E. Littrell
- First record of the leather bass (Epinephelus dermatolepis, Boulenger) in southern California. Robert H. Moore
- Note on the occurrence and range extension of the sailfish (Istiophorus platypterus) off Dana Point, California. Malcolm S. Oliphant
- Notes on the distribution and morphology of the rubynose grotula (Cataetyx rubrirostris) off central California. M. A. Gibbs
- Mountain beaver (Aplodontia rufa) from Inyo County, California. Vernon C. Bleich and Denyse Racine
- Upper Sacramento River toxic spill. Eric R. Loft
- Memorial for Dennis G. Raveling. Anonymous.
- Memorial for Donald S. Pine. Donald Koch.
California Fish and Game 77(2). Spring 1991.
- Mammal mortality at Arizona, California, and Nevada gold mines using cyanide extraction. Donald R. Clark, Jr. and Roger L. Hothem.
- Genetic variability in tule elk. Thomas E. Kucera
- Gray wolves in California: their presence and absence. Robert H. Schmidt
- Computerized data base for exotic fishes: the western United States. James D. Williams and Dawn P. Jennings
- Macroinvertebrate colonization of Hester-Dendy samplers in different orientations to water flow. Jeffrey P. Hill and William J. Matter
- Hermaphroditism in the rock scallop, Crassadoma (Hinnites) giganteus, in Humboldt Bay, California. Mark Malachowski
- Fall migration patterns of common snipe. Frank Edelmann
- A new tool for safely killing venomous snakes in the field. Mark R. Jennings and Jens V. Vindum
- Northern range extension for the zebraperch (Hermosilla azurea, Jenkins and Evermann). Ron Fritzsche, Geir Aasen, Loren Everest, Paul Petros, and Steve Shimek
- Miscellanea. Eric R. Loft
California Fish and Game 77(1). Winter 1991.
- Autumn diet of cackling Canada geese in relation to age and nutrient demand. Dennis G. Raveling and David S. Zezulak
- Impacts of changing irrigation practices on waterfowl habitat use in the southern San Joaquin Valley, California. Douglas A. Barnum and Ned H. Euliss, Jr.
- Attachment methods for radio transmitters on mallard ducklings. Dennis L. Orthmeyer
- Effect of triploid grass carp on submersed aquatic plants in northern California ponds. Robert T. Pine and Lars W. J. Anderson
- Food consumption rate of juvenile dwarf surfperch, Micrometrus minimus: temperature and temporal effects. Garwin M. Yip and Joseph J. Cech, Jr.
- Gas supersaturation in the American River. John E. Colt, Kris Orwicz, and Dale Brooks
- Northern range extension for the squarespot rockfish, Sebastes hopkinsi. Danile L. Erickson, Ellen K. Pikitch, and James Wilder Orr
- First record of Mozambique tilapia in the San Joaquin Valley, California. Tim Heyne, Bert Tribbey, Matt Brooks, and Jennie Smith
- Partial xanthism in an adult chum salmon, Oncorhynchus keta, near chignik, Alaska. Gregory T. Ruggerone
- Editorial note. Eric R. Loft
- Bird life as a community asset. Joseph Grinnell
California Fish and Game 76(4). Fall 1990.
- Responses of mountain sheep to aerial sampling using helicopters. Vernon C. Bleich, R. Terry Bowyer, Andrew M. Pauli, Robert L. Vernoy, and Richard L. Anthes
- Accuracy in recording neck-band codes of cackling Canada geese. Dennis G. Raveling, David S. Zezulak, and Joseph G. Silveira
- Fall and winter feeding habits of the American coot in northern California. Raymond J. Bogiatto II
- Rainbow trout of Kaiser and Redwood creeks, Contra Costa County, California. Graham A. E. Gall, Boyd Bentley, and R. C. Nuzum
- Comparative age and growth of flathead catfish in four southwestern streams. Kirk L. Young and Paul C. Marsh
- Fish remains from nine archaeological sites in Richmond and San Pablo, Contra Costa County, California. Kenneth W. Gobalet
- Native status of Sacramento perch (Archoplites interruptus) in Alameda Creek, Alameda County, California: evidence from archaeological site CA-ALA-483. Kenneth W. Gobalet
- Use of an artificial substrate to collect white sturgeon eggs. George T. McCabe and Lance G. Beckman
California Fish and Game 76(3). Summer 1990.
- Blood lead concentrations in mallards from Delvan and Colusa national wildlife refuges. David M. Mauser, Tonie E. Rocke, John G. Mensik, and Christopher J. Brand
- Virulence of four isolates of infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus in salmonid fishes and comparative replication in salmonid fish cell lines. Martin F. Chen, Candace M. Aikins, J. L. Fryer, and J. S. Rohovec
- The effects of different otolith ageing techniques on estimates of growth and mortality for the splitnose rockfish, Sebastes diploproa, and canary rockfish, S. pinniger. Christopher D. Wildon and George W. Boehlert
- Growth and longevity of golden trout, Oncorhynchus aguabonita, in their native streams. Roland A. Knapp and Tom L. Dudley
- Comparison of efficiency and selectivity of three gears used to sample white sturgeon in a Columbia River reservoir. John C. Elliott and Raymond C. Beamesderfer
- Giant bluefin tuna off southern California, with a new California size record. Terry J. Foreman and Yoshio Ishizuka
- Bobcat electrocutions on powerlines. Richard D. Williams
- Marine populations: an essay on population regulation and speciation (Book Review). John J. Geibel
- Battling the inland sea: American culture, public policy, and the Sacramento Valley, 1850-1986 (Book Review). Harold K. Chadwick
- Arizona game birds (Book Review). Sonke Mastrup
- Miscellanea. Compiled by Robert N. Lea
California Fish and Game 76(2). Spring 1990.
- Population characteristics of wild pigs, Sus scrofa, in eastern Santa Clara County, California. Martha E. Schauss, Henry J. Coletto, and Michael J. Kutilek
- Coyote diets associated with seasonal mule deer activities in California. James R. Smith
- An outbreak of bluetongue in captive deer and adjacent livestock in Kern County, California. D. A. Jessup, T. M. Work, R. Bushnell, M. Sawyer, and B. I. Osburn
- Rainbow trout strains in California state hatcheries. Bruce G. Barngrover
- Evaluation of a wildlife-habitat relationships data base for predicting bird community composition in central California chaparral and blue oak woodlands. Michael L. Avery and Charles van Riper III
- Organochlorines, mercury, and selenium in wintering shorebirds from Washington and California. Thomas W. Custer and J. P. Myers
- An albino bat ray, Myliobatis californica, from the Pacific coast of Baja California Sur, Mexico. Marcos de Jesus-Roldan
- Observation of black bear, Ursus americanus, feeding damage to Port Orford cedar, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, in Del Norte County, California. Gregory A. Giusti
California Fish and Game 76(1). Winter 1990.
- Laboratory culture of jacksmelt, Atherinopsis californiensis, and topsmelt, Atherinops affinis (Pisces: Atherinidae), with a description of larvae. Douglas P. Middaugh, Michael J. Hemmer, Jonathan M. Shenker, and Toru Takita
- Harvest distribution and survival of mallards banded in California, 1948-82. Warren C. Rienecker
- Homing by chinook salmon exposed to morpholine. Thomas J. Hassler and Keith Kutchins
- Movement and survival of tournament-caught black bass at Shasta Lake. Terrance P. Healey
- Comparison of steelhead caught and lost by anglers using flies with barbed or barbless hooks in the Klamath River, California. Roger A. Barnhart
- Establishment of red shiner, Notropis lutrensis, in the San Joaquin Valley, California. Mark R. Jennings and Michael K. Saiki
- Preliminary examination of low salinity tolerance of sperm, fertilized eggs, and larvae of orangemouth corvina, Cynoscion zanthulus. Robert G. Howells
- The starry room: naked eye astronomy in the intimate universe (Book Review). Jack Ames
- Battling the inland sea: American culture, public policy, and the Sacramento Valley, 1850-1986. Harold K. Chadwick
California Fish and Game 75(4). Fall 1989.
- Life history of anadromous coastal cutthroat trout in Snow and Salmon creeks, Jefferson County, Washington, with implications for management. John H. Michael, Jr.
- The distribution and density of eel grass, Zostera marina, in Tomales Bay, California. Jerome D. Spratt
- Oxygen and temperature relationships in nine artificially aerated California reservoirs. Arlo D. Fast and Robert G. Hulquist
- Temporal and spatial variation in pelagic fish abundance in Lake Mead determined from echograms. Gene R. Wilde and Larry J. Paulson
- Population dynamics of harbor seals in the Gulf of the Farallones, California. Sarah G. Allen, Harriet R. Huber, Christine A. Ribic, and David G. Ainley
- Beaver distribution in the Truckee River Basin, California. Paul Beier and Reginald H. Barrett
- Record of the roughscale sole, Clidoderma asperrimum, from northern California with a note on the Pacific lined sole, Archirus mazatlanus. Robert N. Lea, Konstantin A. Karpov, and Lawrence F. Quirollo
- Strandings of the Pacific giant squid, Moroteuthis robusta (Verrill, 18767) (Decapoda, Cephalopoda) in British Columbia. Gordon Green
- New mainland haul-out site for the northern elephant seal, Mirounga angustirostris, in central California. Jeanne E. King, Alan K. Fukuyama, Sally J. Krenn, and Aaron C. Setran
California Fish and Game 75(3). Summer 1989.
- Waterfowl production on artificial islands in Mountain Meadows Reservoir, California. Virgina K. Getz and James R. Smith
- Enteric septicemia of channel catfish in California. Martin F. Chen and Marsha E. Kumlin
- Records of rare eelpouts of the genus Lycodapus Gilbert in the north and southeastern Pacific Ocean, with an addition to the California marine fish fauna. M. Eric Anderson
- Duck harvest on public hunting areas in California. David S. Gilmer, Jane M. Hicks, Joseph P. Fleskes, and Daniel P. Connelly
- Mass strandings of juvenile shortbelly rockfish and Pacific hake along the coast of northern California. Edmund S. Hobson and Daniel F. Howard
- Northern range extension of the speckled rockfish, Sebastes ovalis. Daniel G. Nichol, Neil T. Richmond, and Ellen K. Pikitch
- Range extensions of decapod crustaceans from Bahia Tortugas and vicinity, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ernesto Campos and Alma Rosa de Campos
- Growth of hatchery-reared red abalone at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve: one year post-release. Thomas B. Ebert
- Notes on the first record of the orangethroat pikeblenny, Chaenopsis alepidota (Gilbert), in mainland California. John S. Stephens, Jr., Michael Singer, and Laura Targgart
California Fish and Game 75(2). Spring 1989.
- Ichthyoplankton of Lake Havasu, a Colorado River impoundment, Arizona-California. Paul C. Marsh and Diana Papoulias
- Seasonal abundance and feeding habits of sharks of the lower Gulf of California, Mexico. Felipe Galvan-Magana, Henk J. Nienhuis, and A. Peter Klimley
- Wetland bird seasonal abundance and habitat use at Lake Earl and Lake Talawa, California. Steven L. Funderburk and Paul F. Springer
- Life history of the sevengill shark, Notorynchus cepedianus Peron, in two northern California bays. David A. Ebert
- Rice available to waterfowl in harvested fields in the Sacramento Valley, California. David E. Sharp, David S. Gilmer, and William R. Mulvaney
- Pacificogramma stepanenkoi Kharin, 1983 (Family Grammatidae), a junior synonym of Pronotogrammus multifasciatus Gill, 1863 (Family Serranidae). M. Eric Anderson and Richard H. Rosenblatt
- Imporoved self-cleaning screen for processing benthic samples. Ned H. Euliss, Jr. and George A. Swanson
California Fish and Game 75(1). Winter 1989.
- Freshwater eels (Family Anguillidae) in California: current conditions and future scenarios. John E. McCosker
- Migration patterns of mule deer in the central Sierra Nevada. Eric R. Loft, Ronald C. Bertram, and Douglas L. Bowman
- Mortality of tournament-caught largemouth and smallmouth bass in Idaho lakes and reservoirs. David H. Bennett, Larry K. Dunsmoor, Robert L. Rohrer, and Bruce E. Rieman
- Observations on induced maturation and spawning of orangemouth corvina. J. A. Prentice, R. L. Colura, and B. W. Bumguardner
- Food habits, seasonal abundance, size, and sex of the blue shark, Prionace glauca, in Monterey Bay, California. James T. Harvey
- The Cortez angelfish, Pomacanthus zonipectus, recorded from southern California. Robert N. Lea, John M. Duffy, and Kenneth C. Wilson
- Zanthic, gigantic, China rockfish. Edward Ueber
- Range extension and commercial capture of the northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax Girard, in the Gulf of California, Mexico. M. Gregory Hammann and Miguel Angel Cisneros-Mata
- A northern range extension for the thornback, Platyrhinoidis triseriata. Richard Plant
- Northern occurrence of two estuarine crabs: the fiddler crab, Uca crenulata, and the burrowing crab, Malacoplax californiensis. David M. Hubbard and Jenifer E. Dugan
- Observations on mortality of Salt Creek pupfish during a flash flood. Jack E. Williams and Betsy C. Bolster
California Fish and Game 74(4). Fall 1988.
- Present distribution of ringtails in California. Susan Orloff
- Influence of maturity on straying rates of summer steelhead into the Rogue River, Oregon. Thomas D. Satterthwaite
- Shark aggression against man: beginnings of an understanding. H. David Baldridge
- Comparative hooking mortality of lure-caught Lahontan cutthroat trout at Heenan Lake, California. Robert G. Titus and C. David Vanicek
- Waterfowl mortality in rice fields treated with the carbamate, Carbofuran. E. E. Littrell
- Salinity tolerance of young topsmelt, Atherinops affinis, cultured in the laboratory. Doublas P. Middaugh and Jonathan M. Shenker
- Reoccurrence of the Pacific seahorse, Hippocampus ingens, in San Diego Pay. Anthony T. Jones, Peter Dutton, and Robert E. Snodgrass
- Prevalence of Trichomonas gallinae in central California mourning doves. David J. Rupiper and Wallace M. Harmon
- New records and range extensions of shrimps and crabs from California, U.S.A. and Baja California, Mexico. Mary K. Wicksten
- Distribution and abundance of young-of-the-year white seabass, Atractoscion nobilis, in the vicinity of Long Beach Harbor, California in 1984–1987. Larry G. Allen and Michael P. Franklin
California Fish and Game 74(3). Summer 1988.
- Ecological studies of sablefish in Monterey Bay. Gregor M. Cailliet, Edwin K. Osada, and Michael Moser
- Characterization of black-tailed deer habitats in a northern California oak-confer zone. Eric R. Loft, Timothy S. Burton, John W. Menke, and Gary E. Peterson
- On some abnormalities in the chelae of commercial crabs (Genus Cancer) from Baja California, Mexico. Alberto Carvacho
- Second record of Cubiceps paradoxus and Antennarius avalonis from California. Lloyd B. Ellis, Jeffrey G. Landesman, Stanford L. Asato, and Daniel R. Zambrano
- Recent records of the Santa Cruz kangaroo rat, Dipodomys venustus venustus, in Santa Cruz County. Michele L. Roest
- Family Himantolophidae added to the ichthyofauna of the temperate eastern north Pacific. Robert N. Lea
- Wild carnivore deaths due to anticoagulant intoxication. E. E. Littrell and D. Hunter
- Bill deformity in a Brandt's cormorant chick. Keith A. Hobson and Harry R. Carter
California Fish and Game 74(2). Spring 1988.
- An innovative technique for seeding abalone and preliminary results of laboratory and field trials. Thomas B. Ebert and Earl E. Ebert
- The survival and growth of transplanted adult pink abalone, Haliotis corrugata, at Santa Catalina Island. Kristine C. Henderson, David O. Parker, and Peter L. Haaker
- Records of the deep-sea skates, Raja (Amblyraja) badia Garman, 1899 and Bathyraja abyssicola (Gilbert, 1896) in the eastern north Pacific, with a new key to California skates. George D. Zorzi and M. Eric Anderson
- Differences in yield, emigration-timing, size, and age structure of juvenile steelhead from two small western Washington streams. John J. Loch, Steven A. Leider, Mark W. Chilcote, Randy Cooper, and Thom H. Johnson
- Allozyme variation in the California halibut, Paralichthys californicus. Dennis Hedgecock and Devin M. Bartley
California Fish and Game 74(1). Winter 1988.
- Identification of mammal tracks from sooted track stations in the Pacific northwest. Cathy A. Taylor and Martin G. Raphael
- Feeding ecology of ten species of rockfishes (Scorpaenidae) from the Gulf of Alaska. Richard J. Rosenthal, Victoria Moran-O'Connell, and Margaret C. Murphy
- Growth of young-of-the-year white sturgeon in the lower Columbia River and its estuary. William D. Muir, Robert L. Emmett, and Robert J. McConnell
- Herd segregation in harbor seals at Point Reyes, California. Sarah G. Allen, Christine A. Ribic, and Janet E. Kjelmyr
- Record of the chameleon goby, Tridentiger trigonocephlus, from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Paul F. Raquel
- Additional notes on migrational distribution of northern pintail banded in California. Warren C. Rienecker
California Fish and Game 73(4). Fall 1987.
- Movement and dispersion of red abalone, Haliotis rufescens, in northern California. Jerald S. Ault and John D. DeMartini
- The use of baited stations by divers to obtain fish relative abundance data. Daniel W. Gotshall
- Survival and recovery rate estimates of northern pintail banded in California, 1948–79. Warren C. Rienecker
- Management of midges and other invertebrates for waterfowl wintering in California. Ned H. Euliss, Jr. and Gail Grodhaus
- Yellowtail chafing on a shark: parasite removal? Bruce E. Coblentz
- Atypical plumage of a female California quail. J. A. Crawford, P. J. Cole, K. M. Kilbride, and A. Fairbrother
California Fish and Game 73(3). Summer 1987.
- Variation in the growth rate of Pacific herring from San Francisco Bay, California. Jerome D. Spratt
- Migration and distribution of northern pintails banded in California. Warren C. Rienecker
- Analysis of the diets of mountain sheep from the San Gabriel Mountains, California. William M. Perry, Jim W. Dole, and Stephen A. Holl
- Refutation of lengths of 11.3, 9.0, and 6.4 m attributed to the white shark, Carcharodon carcharias. John E. Randall
- Reproductive rhythmicity of the atherinid fish, Colpichthys regis, from Estero del Soldado, Sonora, Mexico. G. A. Russell, D. P. Middaugh, and M. J. Hemmer
- Comparison of meristic and morphometric characters among and within subspecies of the Sacramento sucker (Catostomus occidentalis Ayres). David L. Ward and Ronald A. Fritzsche
- Extent of human-bear interactions in the backcountry of Yosemite National Park. Bruce C. Hastings and Barrie K. Gilbert
- First Oregon record for the cowcod, Sebastes levis. Daniel L. Erickson and Ellen K. Pikitch
California Fish and Game 73(2). Spring 1987.
- Movement of scorpionfishes (Scorpaenidae: Sebastes and Scorpaena) in the southern California Bight. A Rucker Hartmann
- Habitat and productivity of Cooper's hawks nesting in California. Christopher E. Asay
- Population studies of rock crabs, Cancer antennarius, yellow crabs, C. anthonyi, and Kellet's whelks, Kelletia kelletii, in the vicinity of a proposed liquefied natural gas terminal at Little Cojo Bay, San Barbara County, California. Paul N. Reilly
- Chronic bronchitis (hamburger gill disease) of channel catfish in California and its possible mysosporean etiology. M. L. Kent, G. E. Duhamel, J. S. Foott, and R. P. Hedrick
- Comparative catches of ocean sport-caught salmon using barbed and barbless hooks and estimated 1984 San Francisco Bay area charterboat shaker catch. Arthur C. Knutson, Jr.
- Biological notes on the pacific sleeper shark, Somniosus pacificus (Chondricthys: Squalidae). Leonard J. V. Compagno and Lisa J. Nananson
- On the second record of Barbourisia rufa, the velvet whalefish, from California. Robert N. Lea
California Fish and Game 73(1). Winter 1987.
- Age and growth of male Dungeness crabs, Cancer magister, in northern California. Ronald W. Warner
- Population trends, distribution, and survival of Canada geese in California and western Nevada, 1949–79. Warren C. Rienecker
- Food habits of large monkeyface prickleback, Cebidichthys violaceus. Kathy Ann Miller and William H. Marshall
- Winter foods of American coots in the northern San Joaquin Valley, California. Gary L. Ivey
- Two species of Kyphosidae seen in King Harbor, Redondo Beach, California. Andrew J. Brooks
- Occurrence of the family Notacanthidae (Pisces) from marine waters of California. Robert N. Lea and Richard H. Rosenblatt
- Range extensions of offshore decapod crustaceans from California and western Mexico. Mary K. Wicksten
- Record of the twinpored eel, Xenomystax atrarius (Anguilliformes: Congridae) from California waters. Jeffrey A. Siegel
- Resightings of two rehabilitated and released harbor seals in California. Marc A. Webber and Sarah G. Allen
California Fish and Game 72(4). Fall 1986.
- Temporal and spatial patters in sea otter, Enhydra lutris, range expansion and the loss of Pismo clam fisheries. Frederick E. Wendell, Robert A. Hardy, Jack A. Ames, and Richard T. Burge
- Aspects of ecology and life history of the woolly sculpin, Clinocottus analis, from southern California. Alan W. Wells
- Icthyofaunal composition and recolonization in a central California tidepool. Ronald H. Matson, C. Ben Crabtree, and Thomas R. Haglund
- Distribution of major marine macrophytes, seasonal estimates of Gracilaria standing crop, and spawning activities of the Pacific herring, Clupea harengus pallasii, in Elkhorn Slough, California: 1979–1982. R. E. Phillips, D. I. Gutoff, J. E. Hansen, and J. E. Hardwick
- Observations on the elasmobranch assemblage of San Francisco Bay. David A. Ebert
California Fish and Game 72(3). Summer 1986.
- Waterfowl harvest at Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuge, 1936–1941. David S. Gilmer, Jane M. Hicks, James C. Bartonek, and Earl H. McCollum
- The feeding behavior of the juvenile dungeness crab, Cancer magister Dana, on the bivalve, Transennella tantilla (Gould), and a determination of its daily consumption rate. Mary Ann Asson-Batres
- Habitat selection by southern mule deer. R. Terry Bowyer
- Intraspecific cleaning by juvenile salema, Xenestius californiensis (Pisces: Haemulidae). Paul C. Sikkel
- New records of the ragged-tooth shark, Odontaspis ferox, from California waters. Jeffrey A. Seigel and Leonard J. V. Compagno
- First record of the spotted scorpionfish, Scorpaena plumieri, from California: the curtain falls on a "comedy of errors." Camm C. Swift
- Birth of a northern fur seal on the mainland California coast. Janet L. Stein and Kathy Miller
- Shell thickness and organochlorine pesticides in osprey eggs from Eagle Lake, California. E. E. Littrell
- Juvenile blue catfish in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta of California. Paul F. Raquel
- An addition to the known range of Stephens' kangaroo rat, Dipodomys stephensi, in San Diego County, California. Michael J. O'Farrell, Stephen M. Juarez, and Curt E. Uptain
California Fish and Game 72(2). Spring 1986.
- Epidermal tumors in Microstomus pacificus (Pleuronectidae) collected near a municipal wastewater outfall in the coastal waters off Los Angeles (1971–1983). Jeffrey N. Cross
- The occurrence of two nematodes, Spirocerca lupi and Dirofilaria immitis, in wild canids of the Lake Berryessa area, northern California. M. M. J. Lavoipierre, T. W. Graham, L. L. Walters, and J. A. Howarth
- Growth and reproduction of spot prawns in the Santa Barbara Channel. John S. Sunada
- Fawn rearing habitat of the Lake Hollow Deer Herd, Tehama County, California. Heather J. Welker
- Fawn mortality in the Lake Hollow Deer Herd, Tehama County, California. Heather J. Welker
- Movement by two nearshore, territorial rockfishes previously reported as non-movers and implications to management. Kathleen R. Matthews
- Relating marten scat contents to prey consumed. William J. Zielinski
- First record of Hemitripterus bolini, the bigmouth sculpin, from California waters. Robert N. Lea and Lawrence F. Quirollo
- Northern range extension for California tonguefish, Symphurus atricauda to Washington state. Paul A. Dinnel and Christopher W. Rogers
- Indigenous muskrats, Ondatra zibethicus, in coastal southern California. Paul E. Langenwalter II
- Mortality of American wigeon on a golf course treated with the organophosphate, Diazinon. E. E. Littrell
- The occurrence of Lepas anatifera on Zolophus californianus and Mirounga angustirostris. Jan Roletto and Robert Van Syoc
California Fish and Game 72(1). Winter 1986.
- Population characteristics of Pacific herring, Clupea harengus pallasi, in Humboldt Bay, California. Douglas J. Rabin and Roger A. Barnhart
- The striped bass sport fishery in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary, 1969–1979. James R. White
- Food of juvenile Chinook, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, and coho, O. kisutch, salmon off the northern Oregon and southern Washington coasts, May–September 1980. Robert L. Emmett, David R. Miller, and Theodore H. Blahn
- Line-transect censuses of fallow and black-tailed deer on the Point Reyes Peninsula. Peter J. P. Gogan, Steven C. Thompson, and Reginald H. Barrett
- Utilization by salt marsh harvest mice, Reithrodontomys raviventris halicoetes, of a non-pickleweed marsh. Fred Botti, Dee Warencyia, and Dennis Becker
- A method for the efficient removal of juvenile salmonid otoliths. Brian D. Winter
California Fish and Game 71(4). Fall 1985.
- Temporal distribution of breeding and non-breeding Canada geese from northeastern California. Warren C. Rienecker
- The occurrence, seasonal distribution, and reproductive condition of elasmobranch fishes of Elkhorn Slough, California. Larry G. Talent
- Effects on wildlife of ethyl and methyl parathion applied to California rice fields. Thomas W. Custer, Elwood F. Hill, and Harry M. Ohlendorf
- Population biology of bluegills, Lepomis macrochirus, in lotic habitats on the irrigated San Joaquin Valley floor. Michael K. Saiki and Christopher J. Schmitt
- An observation of reproductive behavior in a wild population of African clawed frogs, Xenopus laevis, in California. Michael J. McCoid
- Parasites of the Sacramento perch, Archoplites interruptus. Cay C. Goude and C. David Vanicek
California Fish and Game 71(3). Summer 1985.
- Acute toxicity of seven alicyclic hexanes to striped bass, Morone saxatilis, and bay shrimp, Crangon franciscorum, in seawater. Pete E. Benville, Jr., Jeanetter A. Whipple, and Maxwell B. Eldridge
- An analysis of canvasbacks banded in California. Warren C. Rienecker
- The survival and mortality of seeded and native red abalones, Haliotis rufescens, on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Mia J. Tegner and Robert A. Butler
- Intermarsh movements by light-footed clapper rails indicated in part through regular censusing. Richard Zembal, Jack M. Fancher, and Christopher S. Nordby Bird diets and prey availability in the western Sierra Nevada, California. Donald L. Dahlsten, Michael L. Morrison, David L. Rowney, Marilyn Wilson, and Josef Cohen
- Determining the sex of sea otters from skulls. Aryan I. Roest
- A technique to secure small mammal livetraps against disturbance. Donald R. Warner and David L. Chesemore
- Northward range extension for the striped marlin. Kevin Hill and David R. Haight
- Occurrence of a juvenile California lizardfish, Synodus lucioceps, in Washington waters. Gary P. Gonyea and Steve F. Burton
- The scalloped hammerhead, Sphyrna lewini, in coastal southern California waters: three records including the first reported juvenile. Jeffrey A. Seigel
California Fish and Game 71(2). Spring 1985.
- Breeding range and population studies of common snipe in California. Laurence A. McKibben and Paul Hofmann
- Growth, food and habitat of age 0 smallmouth bass in Clair Engle Reservoir, California. Daniel Okoth Okeyo and Thomas J. Hassler
- Life history of the Sacramento sucker, Catostomus occidentalis, in Thomes Creek, Tehama County, California. Nick A. Villa
- Growth of grass carp, Ctenopharyngodon idella, in artificial central Arizona ponds. Paul C. Marsh and Mark A. Dhaenens
- Orientation of juvenile Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, and bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus, to low water velocities under high and low light levels. Charles H. Hanson and Erik Jacobson
- Radio-tagged harbor seal, Phoca vitulina richardsi, eaten by white shark, Carcharodon carcharias, in the Southern California Bight. Brent S. Stewart and Pamela K. Yochem
- Additional records of Pronotogrammus multifasciatus and Gempylus serpens from California. Lawrence L. C. Jones, Robert R. Johnson, and Judith Hopkins
- Pugheadedness in the California roach, Hesperoleucus symmetricus (Baird and Girard). Robert A. Leidy
- Milkfish, Chanos chanos (Forsskal, 1775), taken in southern California adds new family (Chanidae) to the California marine fauna. John M. Duffy and Hannah J. Bernard
- Experimental lead dosing of northern pintails in California. Bruce Deuel
California Fish and Game 71(1). Winter 1985.
- Experimental studies on the effects of commercial kelp harvesting in central and southern California Macrocystis pyrifera kelp beds. D. Craig Barilotti, Ronald H. McPeak, and Paul K. Dayton.
- The effects of canopy removal on holdfast growth in Macrocystis pyrifera (Phaeophyta; Laminariales). Kim McCleneghan and James L. Houk
- Fish food habits along a pollution gradient. Jeffrey N. Cross, James Roney, and Gary S. Kleppel
- Utilization of natural and man-made habitats by the salt marsh song sparrow, Melospiza melodia samuelis (Baird). Joshua N. Collins and Vincent H. Resh
- Pup production, abundance, and breeding distribution of northern elephant seals on San Nicolas Island, winter 1981. James L. Bodkin, Ronald J. Jameson, and Glenn R. Van Blaricom
- Northward occurrence of the opaleye, Girella nigricans, and the sharpnose seaperch, Phanerodon atripes. Carl E. Bond and Robert E. Olson
- The oxeye oreo, Allocyttus folletti Myers, from the Bering Sea. Sid F. Cook and James Long
- Color variation in the sevengill shark, Notorhynchus maculatus Ayres, along the California coast. David A. Ebert
California Fish and Game 70(4). Fall 1984.
- Characteristics and attitudes of some Klamath River anglers. Jeffrey L. Kershner and Robert R. Van Kirk
- Variability in age estimates in Sebastes as a function of methodology, different readers, and different laboratories. George W. Boehlert and Mary M. Yoklavich
- Estimation of sea otter, Enhydra lutris, population, with confidence bounds, from air and ground counts. J. J. Geibel and D. J. Miller
- Cleaning behavior of the juvenile panamic sergeant major, Abudefduf troschelii (Gill), with a resume of cleaning associations in the Gulf of California and adjacent waters. Richard M. McCourt and Donald A. Thomson
- Effects of cattle grazing on selected habitats of southern mule deer. R. Terry Bowyer and Vernon C. Bleich
- Mortality in California mule deer at a drying reservoir: the problem of siltation at water catchments. Daniel W. Baber
- Records of goosefishes (Family: Lophiidae, Genus Lophiodes) from Californian waters. Robert N. Lea, Thomas Keating, Gilbert Van Dykhuizen, and Phillip B. Lehtonen
California Fish and Game 70(3). Summer 1984.
- Distribution of some common decapod crustaceans and a pycnogonid from the continental shelf of northern California. Mary K. Wicksten
- Diurnal activity and habitat use by feral pigs on Santa Cruz Island, California. Dirk Van Vuren
- Environmental conditions and fish faunas in low elevation rivers on the irrigated San Joaquin Valley floor, California. Michael K. Saiki
- Relocation of original territories by displaced black-and-yellow rockfish, Sebastes chrysomelas, from Carmel Bay, California. Leon E. Hallacher
- Surgical implantation of a radiotelemetry device in wild black bears, Ursus americanus. David A. Jessup and Donald B. Koch
- Seasonal variation in the diet of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, in Contra Costa County, California. Randal J. Snyder
- Attacks on divers by white sharks in Chile. Alfredo Cea Egana and John E. McCosker
- Ecological status of striped bass, Morone saxatilis, in Upper Newport Bay, California. Michael H. Horn, Larry G. Allen, and F. Dennis Hagner
- Food habits of black-tailed deer, Odocoileus hemionus columbianus, in Trinity County, California. John G. Kie, Timothy S. Burton, John W. Menke, and William E. Grenfell, Jr.
- Additional notes on the repeat spawning by Pacific lamprey. John H. Michael, Jr.
- A northern fur seal, Callorhinus ursinus, found in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. L. A. Dierauf
- Extreme mercury concentrations of a striped bass, Morone saxatilis, with a known residence time in Lahontan Reservoir, Nevada. James J. Cooper and Steven Vigg
- Erratum. Bruce Vondracek, Larry R. Brown, and Joseph J. Cech.
California Fish and Game 70(2). Spring 1984.
- Variation in trophic state indicators in two northern California reservoirs. K. R. Gina Rothe
- Comparative condition of black-tailed deer, Odocoileus hemionus columbianus, in two herds in Trinity County, California. John G. Kie, Timothy S. Burton, and John W. Menke
- Pup dependency period and length of reproductive cycle: estimates from observations of tagged sea otters, Enhydra lutris, in California. Frederich E. Wendell, Jack A. Ames, and Robert A. Hardy
- A review of selected remote sensing and computer technologies applied to wildlife habitat inventories. Kenneth E. Mayer
- Identification of salt marsh harvest mice, Reithrodontomys raviventris, in the field and with cranial characteristics. Howard S. Shellhammer
- A second record for California and additional morphological information on Entosphenus hubbsi Vladykov and Kott 1976 (Petromyzontidae). Vadim D. Vladykov and Edward Kott
- Erratum. Darlene McGriff and John Modin
California Fish and Game 70(1). Winter 1984.
- Food availability, food habits and growth of Tahoe sucker, Catostomus tahoensis, from a reservoir and a natural lake. Donn L. Marrin, Don C. Erman, and Bruce Vondracek
- New host records of ticks (Acari: Argasidae and Ixodidae) parasitizing wildlife in California and a case of tick paralysis in a deer. Robert S. Lane
- Zooplankton dynamics in a high mountain reservoir of southern California. Clifford A Siegfried and Mark E. Kopache
- The benthos of a eutrophic mountain reservoir: influence of reservoir level on community composition, abundance, and production. Clifford A. Siegfried
- Distribution and taxonomic affinities of mule deer, Odocoileus hemionus, from Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, California. R. Terry Bowyer and Vernon C. Bleich
- Dipodomys californicus in Sierra Valley, Plumas County, California. Anthony H. James, James P. O'Brien, and David K. James
- Age and growth of Florida largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides floridanus, in Hidden Valley Reservoir, Lake County, California. Larry E. Week
- Three species of sea turtles collected from northern California. Steven A. Smith and Warren J. Houck
- Biochemical identification of a bluefin tuna establishes a new California size record. Ronald C. Dotson and John E. Graves
California Fish and Game 69(4). Fall 1983.
- Sex, age, and species differences in disease mortality of Ross' and lesser snow geese in California: implications for avian cholera research. M. Robert McLandress
- The movement and homing of smallmouth bass, Micropterus dolomieui, in Lake Sammamish, Washington. David E. Pflug and Gilbert B. Pauley
- Spring population trends in Phoca vitulina richardi in two central California coastal areas. Lucinda M. Slater and Hal Markowitz
- Growth, maturity, and fecundity of the crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus, from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Darlene McGriff
- Tagging materials and methods for sea otters, Enhydra lutris. Jack A. Ames, Robert A. Hardy, and Fredrich E. Wendell
California Fish and Game 69(3). Summer 1983.
- Seasonal foods of black bears in Tahoe National Forest, California. William E. Grenfell, Jr. and Allan J. Brody
- An annotated check list of the amphibians and reptiles of California. Mark R. Jennings
- Northern occurrences of the sea snake, Pelamis platurus in the eastern Pacific, with a record of predation on the species. George V. Pickwell, Robert L. Bezy, and John E. Fitch
- Thelophania contejeani parasitism of the crayfish, Pacifastacus leniusculus, in California. Darlene McGriff and John Modin
- Food habits of coyotes, Canis latrans, in eastern Tehama County, California. Reginald H. Barrett
- A study of the effects of Bolero 10G® on the mountain garter snake, Thamnophis elegans elegans. E. E. Littrell
- Smoked aluminum track plots for determining furbearer distribution and relative abundance. Reginald H. Barrett
- Avian cholera in an American Flamingo, Phoenicopterus ruber: a new host record. Christopher J. Brand and Rugh M. Duncan
- Reproduction of Arctic grayling, Thymallus arcticus, in the Lobdell Lake system, California. Richard W. Rieber
- Erratum. D. W. Gotshall, G. H. Allen, and R. A. Barnhart
California Fish and Game 69(2). Spring 1983.
- Contribution of cutthroat trout in headwater streams to the sea-run population. John H. Michael, Jr.
- Benthic invertebrates of the earthen Coachella Canal, California. Paul C. Marsh and Carolyn R. Stinemetz
- Osteophagia and antler breakage among Roosevelt elk. R. Terry Bowyer
- Concurrent measurement of intertidal environmental variables and embryo survival for the California grunion, Leuresthes tenius, and Atlantic silverside, Menidia menidia (Pisces: Atherinidae. D. P. Middaugh, H. W. Kohl, and L. E. Burnett
- Age, growth, reproductive characteristics, and seasonal depth distribution of the spotfin surfperch, Hyperprosopon anale. Donald M. Baltz and Elaine E. Knight
- Hazards to geese from exposure to zinc phosphide rodenticide baits. James F. Glahn and Larry D. Lamper
- Ova fertility relative to temperature and to the time of gamete mixing in the red abalone, Haliotus rufescens. Earl E. Ebert and Randall M. Hamilton
- First Californian record of the amarillo snapper, Lutjanus argentiventris. James E. Phelan
- Evidence of birth of a sea otter on land in central California. Ronald J. Jameson
- Age and growth and length-weight relationship for flathead catfish, Pylodictis olivaris, from Coachella Canal, southeastern California. Mark S. Pisano, Mary J. Inansci, and W. L. Minckley
California Fish and Game 69(1). Winter 1983.
- In memoriam: John E. Fitch. John L. Baxter
- Soft bottom infaunal communities in Mission Bay. Deborah M. Dexter
- Behavioral response of juvenile Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, to trash rack bar spacing. Charles H. Hanson and Hiram W. Li
- Distribution of fishes in streams of the Walnut Creek basin, California. Robert A. Leidy
- Notes on the feeding habits of the yellowtail rockfish, Sebastes flavidus, off Washington and in Queen Charlotte Sound. Harriet V. Lorz, William G. Pearcy, and Michael Fraidenburg
- Distributional ecology of native and introduced fishes in the Pit River system, northeastern California, with notes on the Modoc sucker. James J. Cooper
- Results of Mohave chub, Gila bicolor mohavensis, relocations in California and Nevada. Frank Hoover and James A. St. Amant
- Common dolphins, Delphinus delphis, in Monterey Bay. James Christmann
- Spirontocaris lamellicornis (Dana, 1852), new to the fauna of southern California. (Decapoda: Hippolytidae). Jack Q. Word
- Erratum. T. A. Hanley and J. L. Page.
California Fish and Game 68(4). Fall 1982.
- Life history, distribution, and status of Pacifastacus fortis (Decapoda: Astacidae). Larry L. Eng and Robert A Daniels
- Marine mammals in Monterey Bay, California, during the years 1950–1955. Eric G. Barham
- Food habits of the gray smoothhound, Mustelus californicus, the brown smoothhound, Mustelus henleei, the shovelnose guitarfish, Rhinobatos productus, and the bat ray, Myliobatis californica, in Elkhorn Slough, California. Larry G. Talent
- The occurrence of selected infectious diseases in the desert bighorn sheep, Ovis canadensis cremnobates, herds of the Santa Rosa Mountains, California. J. C. Turner and J. B. Payson
- Crustaceans from baited traps and gill nets off southern California. Mary K. Wicksten
- Status and nomenclatural history of Agonus vulsus Jordan and Gilbert, 1880 (Pisces-Family Agonidae). Robert N. Lea and Lillian J. Dempster
California Fish and Game 68(3). Summer 1982.
- Range relationships and demography of fallow and axis deer on Point Reyes National Seashore. John D. Wehausen and Henry W. Elliott III
- Growth of adult striped bass in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. Barry W. Collins
- Differential effects of livestock use on habitat structure and rodent populations in Great Basin communities. Thomas A. Hanley and Jerry L. Page
- Intertidal vertical distribution and diets of five species of central California stichaeoid fishes. Michael G. Barton
- Sightings of cetaceans in the Gulf of Farallones, California, 1971–1979. Harriet R. Huber, David G. Ainley, and Stephen H. Morrell
- Record of the striped mullet, Mugil cephalus, in San Francisco Bay, California. Carol A. Reilly and Judy Sakanori
California Fish and Game 68(2). Spring 1982.
- Effects of water level fluctuation on reproduction of largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides, at Millerton Lake, California, in 1973. Dale F. Mitchell
- Trophic interrelations among introduced fishes in the lower Colorado River, southwestern United States. W. L. Minckley
- Limnology of a eutrophic reservoir: Big Bear Lake, California. Clifford A. Siegfried, Perry L. Herrgesell, and Mark E. Kopache
- Deer populations and reservoir construction in Trinity County, California. John Kie, Timothy S. Burton, and John W. Menke
- Harbor seal census in south San Francisco Bay, 1972–1977. Lyman E. Fancher and Doris J. Alcorn
- Occurrence of a Pacific loggerhead turtle, Caretta caretta gigas Deraniyagala, in the waters off Santa Cruz Island, California. Robert C. Guess
- A harbor seal, Phoca vitulina richardi, taken from sablefish trap. Patricia M. Kolb and Kenneth S. Norris
California Fish and Game 68(1). Winter 1982.
- Largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides, and bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus, growth rates associated with artificial destratification and threadfin shad, Dorosoma petenense, introductions at El Capitan Reservoir, California. Arlo W. Fast, Lawrence H. Bottroff, and Richard L. Miller
- Home range and habitat preferences of black bears in the San Bernardino Mountains of southern California. Harold J. Novick and Glenn R. Stewart
- Comparison of age, growth, and feeding of the Tahoe sucker from Sierra Nevada streams and a reservoir. Bruce Vondracek, Larry R. Brown, and Joseph J. Cech
- An underwater fish tagging method. T. C. Wilson
- Concurrent sexual behavior in three groups of gray whales, Eschrictius robustus, during the northern migration off the central California coast. T. C. Wilson and David W. Behrens
- Morphology and growth of a pugheaded brown rockfish, Sebastes auriculatus. Peter B. Adams and Constance J. Ryan
- Relations between size of Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, released at hatcheries and returns to hatcheries and ocean fisheries. R. R. Reisenbichler, J. D. McIntyre, and R. J. Hallock
- A microsporidian infection in mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis, from Orange County, California. T. A. Crandall and P. R. Bowser
- Response of the Mohave chub, Gila bicolor mohavensis, to the dewatering of an artificial impoundment. Louis A. Courtois
California Fish and Game 67(4). Fall 1981.
- Systematics of golden trout, Salmo aguabonita, from the Sierra Nevada. J. R. Gold and G. A. E. Gall
- Lingcod, Ophiodon elongatus, spawning and nesting in San Juan Channel, Washington. Mark G. LaRiviere, David D. Jessup, and Stephen B. Mathews
- Larval anisakine roundworms of marine fishes from southern and central California, with comments on public health significance. Murray D. Dailey, Lauritz A. Jensen, and Barbara Westerhof Hill
- Evidence of movements of some deepwater rockfishes (Scorpaenidae: genus Sebastes) off southern California. Milton S. Love
- Seasonal changes in a population of the fluffy sculpin, Oligocottus snyderi, from Trinidad Bay, California. John R. Moring
- Conservation of vernal pool plants in California: I. A report on Pixley Reserve. R. F. Holland and S. K. Jain
- Deer use under black oaks with and without mistletoe. Gordon C. Ashcraft
California Fish and Game 67(3). Summer 1981.
- Freshwater mollusks of California: a distributional checklist. Dwight W. Taylor
- The role of temperature and photoperiod in the ontogenetic migration of prejuvenile Sebastes diploproa (Pisces: Scorpaenidae). George W. Boehlert
- Copper, zinc, and cadmium concentrations of resident trout related to acid-mine wastes. D. Wilson, B. Finlayson, and N. Morgan
- Laboratory studies of intraspecific behavior interactions and factors influencing tidepool selection of the wooly sculpin, Clinocottus analis. W. A. Richkus
- Hybridization between hitch, Lavinia exilicauda, and Sacramento blackfish, Orthodon microlepidodus, in San Luis Reservoir, California. Peter B. Moyle and Michael Massingill
California Fish and Game 67(2). Spring 1981.
- Shark attacks in California and Oregon, 1926–1979. Daniel J. Miller and Ralph S. Collier
- History and status of wild pigs, Sus scrofa, in San Benito County, California. Reginald H. Barrett and Donald S. Pine
- Spawning behavior and requirements of Alabama spotted bass, Micropterus punctulatus henshalli, in Lake Perris, Riverside County, California. Kenneth D. Aasen and Francis D. Henry, Jr.
- A census of harbor seals, Phoca vitulina, in San Luis Obispo County, California 1972–1973. L. S. Wade
- A slide rule for locating and decoding bit values on six-bit coded wire nose tags. E. W. Lesh and John H. Rowell
- Wolverine, Gulo gulo, records for the White Mountains, California. Steven D. Kovach
- California grunion, Leuresthes tenius, spawn in Monterey Bay, California. Jerome D. Spratt
California Fish and Game 67(1). Winter 1981.
- A list of the freshwater and anadromous fishes of California. Leo Shapovalov, Almo J. Cordone, and William A. Dill
- Electrophoretic, morphometric, and meristic studies of subpopulations of northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax. Andrew M. Vrooman, Pedro A. Paloma, and James R. Zweifel
- Denning characteristics of black bears, Ursus americanus, in the San Bernardino Mountains of southern California. Harold J. Novick, John M. Siperek, and Glenn R. Stewart
- Update of the estimated mortality rate ofEngraulis mordax in southern California. Doyle Hanan
- First record of dextrality in the California tonguefish, Symphurus atricauda, with a second report of ambicoloration. Edward L. Telders
California Fish and Game 66(4). Fall 1980.
- Evidence of white shark, Carcharodon carcharias, attacks on sea otters, Enhydra lutris. Jack A. Ames and G. Victor Morejohn
- Recent trends in the white sturgeon population in California's Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. David W. Kohlhorst
- An annotated checklist of fishes from Humboldt Bay, California. Daniel W. Gotshall, George H. Allen, and Roger A. Barnhart
- Food habits of pintails, Anas acuta, wintering on seasonally flooded wetlands in the northern San Joaquin Valley, California. Daniel P. Connelly and David L. Chesemore
- Harbor seal and fish populations—before and after a sewage spill in south San Francisco Bay. Doris J. Alcorn, Lyman E. Fancher, and Jane Bull Moss
- Status of the redeye bass, Micropterus coosae, in the south fork Stanislaus River, California. Thomas R. Lambert
- A geographic record for the redtail surfperch, Amphistichus rhodoterus. John L. Dentler and Gary D. Grossman
California Fish and Game 66(3). Summer 1980.
- In memoriam: J. Bruce Kimsey. Almo J. Cordone.
- Impact of Florida largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides floridanus, introductions at selected northern California waters, with a discussion of the use of meristics for detecting introgression and for classifying individual fish of intergraded populations. Ronald J. Pelzman
- Exploitation, natural mortality, and survival of smallmouth bass and largemouth bass in Shasta Lake, California. William F. Van Woert
- Diet and behavioral aspects of the wolf-eel, Anarrhichthys ocellatus, on sandy bottom in Monterey Bay, California. Larry W. Hulberg and Patsy Graber
- Decline of the Lake Greenhaven Sacramento perch population. C. David Vanicek
- A population of the endangered Santa Cruz long-toed salamander, Ambystoma macrodactylum croceum, from Monterey County, California. Larry G. Talent and Carline L. Talent
- Repeat spawning of the Pacific lamprey. John H. Michael, Jr.
- A diver-operated snagging device for capturing lingcod, Ophiodon elongatus. James L. Houk
- Karyotype of the Sacramento perch, Archoplites interruptus. Craig A. Busack and Gary H. Thorgaard
- Erratum: E. W. Lesh.
California Fish and Game 66(2). Spring 1980.
- Estimated safe copper and zinc levels for Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, in the upper Sacramento River, California. B. J. Finlayson and K. M. Verrue
- Age and growth of white sturgeon collected in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary, California: 1965–1970 and 1973–1976. David W. Kohlhorst, Lee W. Miller, and James J. Orsi
- Diets of mountain whitefish, Prosopium williamsoni (Girard), and brook trout, Salvelinus fontinalis (Mitchell), in the Little Walker River, Mono County, California. John Paul Ellison
- The use of road-killed deer for assessing reproductive potential and winter condition of the Devil's Garden Interstate Mule Deer Herd. Hal Salwasser, Douglas J. Thayer, and D. Lewis Young
- The littoral bottom fauna of high elevation lakes in Kings Canyon National Park. Timothy P. Taylor and Don C. Erman
- A blue catfish from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Thomas L. Taylor
- First California record: the scalloped hammerhead shark, Sphyrna lewini, in coastal Santa Barbara waters. Craig Fusaro and Shane Anderson
- The bigscale goatfish, Pseudupeneus grandisquamis (Gill, 1863) added to California's marine fauna. John E. Fitch
- Notes on the establishment of the rainwater killifish, Lucania parva, in California. Michael J. McCoid and James A. St. Amant
California Fish and Game 66(1). Winter 1980.
- Distribution, ecology, and reproductive anatomy of a rare land snail, Monadenia setosa Talmadge. Barry Roth and Larry L. Eng
- Ancestry of artificially propagated California rainbow trout strains. Craig A. Busack and G. A. E. Gall
- The effects of mosquito control recirculation ditches on the fish community of a San Francisco Bay salt marsh. Steven S. Balling, Tracy Stoehr, and Vincent H. Resh
- Mortality and survival of tagged smallmouth bass, Micropterus dolomieui at Merle Collins Reservoir, California. Ronald J. Pelzman, Stephen A. Rapp, and Robert R. Rawstron
- Estimating the size and trend of the California condor population, 1965–1978. Sanford R. Wilbur
- Seasonal benthic distribution of adult fish in Pyramid Lake, Nevada. Steven C. Vigg
- A head-off method of measuring Chinook and coho salmon. E. W. Lesh
- The introduction of southeastern bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus purpurescens, into Lake Perris, California, with notes on the growth of the initial year class. Francis D. Henry
California Fish and Game 65(4). Fall 1979.
- A history of a stunted brook trout population in an alpine lake: a life span of 24 years. N. H. Reimers
- Fire and stream ecology in some Yellowstone Lake tributaries. D. P. Albin
- An evaluation of rearing fall-run Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha, to yearlings at Feather River Hatchery, with a comparison of returns from hatchery and downstream releases. W. H. Sholes and R. J. Hallock
- Notes on some uncommon deep-sea fishes from the Monterey Bay Area, California. M. E. Anderson, G. M. Cailliet, and B. S. Antrim
- Age and growth of four surfperches (Embiotocidae) from the outer harbor of Anaheim Bay, California. William J. Eckmayer
- Fish remains from a historic central California indian village. P. D. Schulz
- A northern range extension for the portunid crab, Euphylax dovi, (Decapoda, Brachyura). D. D. Chivers
- The introduction of southeastern bluegill, Lepomis macrochirus purpurescens, into Lake Perris, California, with notes on the growth of the initial year class. F. D. Henry, Jr.
- Assessing the effects of power-plant induced mortality on fish populations (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- Wild Geese (Book Review). V. C. BleichMarine Mammals (Book Review). D. J. Miller
- The natural history of native fishes in the Death Valley system (Book Review). P. Pister
California Fish and Game 65(3). Summer 1979.
- In Memoriam: John E. Skinner. A Cordone
- Effects of a 305-mm (12.0 inch) minimum size limit on largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides, at Merle Collins Reservoir. R. J. Pelzman
- The standing stock and production of eelgrass, Zostera marina, in Humboldt Bay, California. L. W. Harding and J. H. Butler
- Estimating fetus age and breeding and fawning periods in the North Kings River deer herd. H. Salwasser and S. A. Holl
- Hematological stress response of rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri, to a simulated geothermal steam condensate spill. J. A. Steele and L. A. Courtois
- Observations of fingerling Chinook salmon in the stomachs of yellow perch from the Klamath River, California. T. F. Dahle, III
- An abnormally pigmented shortspine thornyhead, Sebastolobus alascanus Bean. W. H. Barss
- A juvenile ocean triggerfish, Canthidermis maculatus (Bloch), (Pisces, Balistidae) from the Gulf of California. R. A. Behrstock
- A pacu (Colossoma, family Characidae) caught in the Sacramento River. M. R. Brittan and G. D. Grossman
- Effect of first pectoral fin ray removal on survival and estimated harvest rate of white sturgeon in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. D. W. Kohlhorst
- Evidence of successful reproduction of steelhead rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri gairdneri, in the Ventura River, California. W. E. Tippets
- Notes on a hybridization experiment between rainbow and golden trout. J. R. Gold, R. E. Pipkin, and G. A. E. Gall
- California condor survey, 1978. S. R. Wilbur, R. D. Mallette, and J. C. Borneman
- The relationship between megalopae of the dungeness crab, Cancer magister, and the hydroid, Velella velella, and its influence on abundance estimates of C. magister megalopae. D. E. Wickham
- Winter food habits of fishers, Martes pennanti, in northwestern California. W. E. Grenfell and M. Fasenfest
- An anti-roll beach seine. R. D. Bayer
- Term fetuses from a large common thresher shark, Alopias vulpinus. M. A. Hixon
California Fish and Game 65(2). Spring 1979.
- The diet composition and energy reserves of California mule deer during pregnancy. S. A. Holl, H. Salwasser, and B. Browning
- Safe zinc and copper levels form the Spring Creek drainage for steelhead trout in the upper Sacramento River, California. B. J. Finlayson and S. H. Ashuckian
- Egg deposition of the desert pubfish, Cyprinodon macularius, in relation to several physical parameters. L. A. Courtois and S. Hino
- Notes on the life history of the California clingfish, Gobiesox rhessodon (Gobiesociformes, Gobiesocidae). A. W. Wells
- Age structure of a tidepool sculpin, Oligocottus maculosus, population in northern California. J. R. Moring
- A simple method for tagging fish underwater. J. Matthews and J. D. Bell
- The halfmoon, Medialuna californensis, as a cleaner fish. M. A. Hixon
- Records of Cancer oregonensis in California (Brachyura: Cancridae). M. K. Wicksten
- Colorado snapper, Lutjanus colorado, taken near Morro Bay adds new family (Lutjanidae) to California's marine fish fauna. P. B. Lehtonen
- Symbiotic burrow-occupying behavior in the bay goby, Lepidogobius lepidus. G. D. Grossman
- Flock size and density of common mergansers in northwestern California. L. D. Foreman
- An extension of the known range of Neomysis mercedis, the opossum shrimp. J. J. Orsi, A. C. Knutson, Jr., and A. W. Fast
- Erratum: R. Gill, Jr.
- Owls by day and night (Book Review). G. I. Gould, Jr.
- A master's guide to building a bamboo fly rod (Book Review). W. F. Van Woert
- Larvae of the North American caddisfly genera (Trichoptera) (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- Terrestrial vegetation of California (Book Review). J. Geibel
- Coastal resources management (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- Indian fishing (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- The breakdown and restoration of ecosystems (Book Review). M. L. Johnson Desertification: environmental degradation in and around arid lands (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- Water chlorination: environmental impact and health effects, volumes I and II ((Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- The little known pika (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- Mexican wilderness and wildlife (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- The living world of the reef (Book Review). D. W. Gotshall
- Why big fierce animals are rare (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- The California quail (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
- Pacific salmon, management for people (Book Review). M. L. Johnson
California Fish and Game 65(1). Winter 1979.
- California inland angling trends for 1971 through 1974. K. Lal
- Movements of banded mourning doves near Turlock, California. E. Channing
- Status and distribution of the California clapper rail (Rallus longirostris obsoletus). R. Gill, Jr.
- Archeological evidence concerning the prehistoric occurrence of sea mammals at Point Bennett, San Miguel Island. P. L. Walker and S. Craig
- Ambicoloration in the black abalone, Haliotis cracherodii Leach. D. W. Behrens
- Effects of a California-derived strain of Trichomonas gallinae on Colorado band-tailed pigeons. R. M. Stabler and C. E. Braun
- A simple, rapid method for marking individual sea urchins. M. Olsson and G. Newton
- Food habits of the squirrelfish, Adioryz suborbitalis, in the Gulf of California. J. K. Matthey and W. W. Reynolds
California Fish and Game 64(4). Fall 1978.
- Northern California dungeness crab, Cancer magister, movements as shown by tagging. D. W. Gotshall
- Food selection by five sympatric California blackbird species. F. T. Crase and R. W. Dehaven
- The infauna of a subtidal, sand-bottom community at Imperial Beach, California. D. M. Dexter
- California ocean shrimp mesh experiment. N. C. H. Lo
- Migration of American coots wintering in northwestern California. C. F. Yocom, R. J. Bogiatto, and J. C. Eshelman
- A diver-operated net for catching large numbers of juvenile marine fishes. K. McCleneghan and J. L. Houk
- Sighting of a California sea lion, Zalophus californianus californianus, in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. R. M. Sitts, S. P. Hayes, and A. W. Knight
- Birds of the Yosemite Sierra—a distributional survey (Book Review). R. Lee
- The complete fisherman's catalog (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fishwatcher's guide to the inshore fishes of the Pacific coast (Book Review). F. Wendell
- Poissons de Nouvelle Caledonie et Nouvelles Hebrides (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- New Techniques for catching bottomfish (Book Review). T. Jow
California Fish and Game 64(3). Summer 1978.
- Taxonomy and distribution of the bull trout, Salvelinus confluentus (Suckley), from the American northwest. T. M. Cavender
- Reproduction and spawning of the northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax, in San Pedro Bay, California. G. D. Brewer
- Hooking mortality of juvenile largemouth bass, Mircopterus salmoides. R. J. Pelzman
- Catch-per-unit-effort studies of northern California dungeness crabs, Cancer magister. D. W. Gotshall
- Sex ratios of the northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax, off southern California. R. A. Klingbeil
- The origins of rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri Richardson, in New Zealand. D. Scott, J. Hewitson, and J. C. Fraser
- The first eastern Pacific records of bulleye, Cookeolus boops (Bloch and Schneider, 1801) (Pisces, Priacanthidae). R. A. Fritzsche
- A hermaphroditic California halibut, Paralichthys californicus. J. W. Schott
- Spinal column deformity in a pile surfperch, Damalichthys vacca. R. N. Tasto
- A note on production modeling of populations with discontinuous reproduction. A. MacCall
- Observations of agonistic behavior in the treefish, Sebastes serriceps (Scorpaenidae). P. L. Haaker
- Erratum. G. E. Smith
- Bright rivers (Book Review). E. Littrell
- The fresh and salt water fishes of the world (Book Review). D. W. Gotshall
- Inland fishes of California (Book Review). J. Radovich
California Fish and Game 64(2). Spring 1978.
- Some rare and unusual occurrences of fishes off California and Baja California. J. E. Fitch and S. A. Schultz
- An evaluation of disk-dangler tag shedding by striped bass (Morone saxatilis) in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. G. E. Smith
- Taxonomy of the Colorado cutthroat trout (Salmo clarki pleuriticus) of the Williamson Lakes, California. J. R. Gold, G. A. E. Gall, and S. J. Nicola
- An analysis of fish catches obtained with an otter trawl in Santa Monica Bay, 1969–73. R. C. Fay, J. A. Fallee, and P.
- Brophy Parasites of silver salmon (coho) and king (Chinook) salmon from the Pacific Ocean off Oregon. R. E. Olson Comparison of Floy internal anchor and disk-dangler tags on largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) at Merle Collins Reservoir. R. R. Rawstron and R. J. Pelzman
- Successful reproduction of giant Pacific oysters in Humboldt Bay and Tomales Bay, California. J. A. Span
- Status of the Oregon ruffed grouse in Northwestern California. C. F. Yocum
- Harbor seals in and adjacent to Humboldt Bay, California. T. R. Loughlin
- Fish remains in archaeology and paleo-environmental studies (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- The caddis and the angler (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 64(1). Winter 1978.
- Fisher trends in reservoirs of San Diego County, California, following the introduction of Florida largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides floridanus. L. J. Bottroff and M. E. Lembeck
- Relative abundance studies of dungeness crabs, Cancer magister, in northern California. D. W. Gotshall
- Fawn production and survival in the North Kings River deer herd. H. Salwasser, S. A. Holl, and G. A. Ashcraft
- Spring-summer phytoplankton production in Humboldt Bay, California. L. V. Harding, Jr., J. L. Cox, and J. E. Pequegnat
- First Oregon records for two blennioid fishes. M. Barton
- Additional records on the distribution and status of native fishes in Alameda and Coyote creeks, California. G. G. Scoppettone and J. J. Smith
- Murex shells of the world: an illustrated guide to the Muricidae (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- In the ring of the rise (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fishes of the world (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Waterfowl of North America (Book Review). W. F. Hart
- Advanced bass fishing (Book Review). G. Miller
- Fly tackle (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Classic rods and rodmakers (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The essential fly tier (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 63(4). Fall 1977.
- The acute toxicity of six monocyclic aromatic crude oil components to striped bass (Morone saxatilis) and bay shrimp (Crago franciscorum). P. E. Benville, Jr. and Sid Korn
- Acclimation and rearing of striped bass larvae in sea water. K. Lal, R. Lasker, and A. Kuljis
- Effect of a reduced bag limit and later planting date on the mortality, survival, and cost and yield of three domestic strains of rainbow trout at Lake Berryessa and Merle Collins Reservoir 1971–1974. R. R. Rawstron
- Temperature requirements of Tilapia zillii. W. J. Hauser
- Fecundity and reproduction of the viviparous perches Hypsurus caryi (Agassiz) and Embiotoca jacksoni Agassiz. D. W. Behrens
- Abundance of the "rare" zoarid, Maynea californica Gilbert, 1915, in the Monterey Canyon, Monterey Bay, California. G. M. Cailliet and R. N. Lea
- First record of mating of Ridley turtles in California, with notes on commensals, characters, and systematics. C. L. Hubbs
- Acanthocephalan parasites of the sea otter, Enhydra lutris, off coastal California. S. L. Hennessy and G. V. Morejohn
- Notes on shark species in nearshore waters near Point Conception, California. L. A. DeWitt
- Harvest, survival and weight returns of tagged Eagle Lake and Coleman rainbow trout stocked in Lake Berryessa in 1972. R. R. Rawstron
- A range extension for Mississippi silversides in California. M. Meinz and W. L. Mecum
- First record of the striped mullet (Mugil cephalus) in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta of California. B. D. Quelvog
- Coastal fishes of southern Japan (Book Review). P. C. Heemstra
- Fishes of the world (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Waterfowl of North America (Book Review). W. F. Hart
- Advanced bass fishing (Book Review). G. Miller Fly tackle (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Classic rods and rodmakers (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The essential fly tier (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 63(3). Summer 1977.
- Fecundity and growth of tule perch, Hysterocarpus traski, in the lower Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. G. L. Bryant
- Migration of the North Kings deer herd. R. C. Bertram and R. D. Rempel
- A newly introduced, brackish-water snail in the Salton Sea basin, California. L. C. Oglesby
- Abnormal vertebral development in northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax Girard. P. L. Haaker
- An expandable drop-off transmitter collar for young mountain lions. D. K. Garcelon
- California condor survey, 1975. S. R. Wilbur, R. D. Mallette, and J. C. Borneman
- Reported cases of avian tuberculosis in California waterfowl. R. Floerke
- Instances of copper rockfish consuming a spiny dogfish shark. G. G. Bargmann
- Fecundity of Pacific herring, Clupea harengus pallasi, in Humboldt Bay. D. J. Rabin and R. A. Barnhart
- Southern range extensions for chum and sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus keta and O. nerka. J. M. Duffy
- Erratum. R. A. Behrstock
- The ageing of fish (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Marine game fishes of the Pacific coast from Alaska to the equator (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
California Fish and Game 63(2). Spring 1977.
- A study of the reproductive biology of the red abalone, Haliotis rufescens Swainson, near Mendocino, California. A. E. Giorgi and J. D. DeMartini
- Copper toxicity experiments in relation to abalone deaths observed in a power plant's cooling waters. M. Martin, M. D. Stephenson, and J. H. Martin
- Factors influencing distribution of fish eggs and larvae over eight 24-hr samplings in Richardson Bay, California. M. B. Eldridge
- Sea otter predation on Pismo clams in Monterey Bay. M. D. Stephenson
- The underwater foraging habits of the sea otter, Enhydra lutris. S. J. Shimek
- Feeding in the decorator crab, Loxorhynchus crispatus (Brachyura: Majidae). M. K. Wicksten
- Observations on food habits of the angelfishes Pomacanthus zonipectus and Holacanthus passer in the Gulf of California. W. W. Reynolds and L. J. Reynolds
- A new record-size bonito shark, Isurus oxyrinchus Rafinesque, from southern California. S. P. Applegate
- Parasitism of barred surfperch, Amphistichus argenteus, by Nerocila californica: a fit to the poisson. D. W. Valentine and R. Phelps
- Range extension of two marine fishes to the Monterey Bay area. M. E. Anderson
- A field guide to the common and interesting plants of Baja California (Book Review). R. Eberhardt
- Modern fly dressings for the practical angler (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fishing with light (Book Review). K. Mais
California Fish and Game 63(1). Winter 1977.
- The status of brown pelicans at Anacapa Island in 1975. D. W. Anderson, R. M. Jurek, and J. O. Keith
- Supplemental data on the food habits of the western Gray Squirrel. W. E. Stienecker
- Effects of salinity on larval growth in the California Killifish, Fundulus parvipinnis Girard. T. R. Rao
- Detection of delayed annulus formation among bluegill Lepomis macrochirus, populations at Lake Nacimiento, California. D. Brown, E. E. Miller, and C. E. von Geldern, Jr.
- Stomach contents of northern California dungeness crabs, Cancer magister. D. W. Gotshall
- Reactions of fish red blood cells with mucus and sera from other fish(es). A. C. Smith
- Extension of red fox distribution in California. R. L. Gray
- Acorn selection by band-tailed pigeons. M. E. Fry and C. E. Vaughn
- Alabama spotted bass grow at record rate in Lake Perris, California. D. Brown, K. Aasen, and C. E. von Geldern, Jr.
- Birth of a California sea lion on southeast Farallon Island. R. J. Prerotti, D. G. Ainley, and T. J. Lewis
- Observations on the breeding behavior of the harbor seal in Humboldt Bay, California. P. M. Knudtson
- Notes on some fishes collected off the outer coast of Baja California. G. F. Black
California Fish and Game 62(4). Fall 1976.
- A limnological comparison of the three basins of Eagle Lake, California. K. R. Huntsinger and P. E. Maslin
- Distribution and status of the Sacramento perch, Archoplites interruptus (Girard), in California. M. E. Aceituno and S. J. Nicola
- Assessment of ocean shrimp management in California resulting from widely fluctuating recruitment. J. J. Geibel and R. F. G. Heimann
- Food of the copper rockfish, Sebastes caurinus Richardson, associated with an artificial reef in south Humboldt Bay, California. E. D. Prince and D. W. Gotshall
- Food habits of the leopard shark, Triakis semifasciata, in Elkhorn Slough, Monterey Bay, California. L. G. Talent
- Addition of Citharichthys fragilis Gilbert to the California fauna. M. J. Allen
- First records of notacanth fish, Notacanthus chemnitzi Bloch, from the northeastern Pacific. A. E. Peden
- Simple container for the collection and storage of otoliths. S. E. Hughes
- The fly-tyer's almanac (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fisherman's fall (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fisherman's winter (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fly fishing strategy (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fly fishing for trout (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fisherman's summer (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Culture of bivalve molluscs (Book Review). W. A. Dahlstrom
- Northern fishes (Book Review). L. K. Puckett
- Pollution ecology of freshwater invertebrates (Book Review). E. V. Gleason
- Best ways to catch more fish (in fresh and salt water) (Book Review). E. Littrell
California Fish and Game 62(3). Summer 1976.
- Attitudes toward fishing and fisheries management of users in Desolation Wilderness, California. M. R. Carpenter and D. R. Bowlus
- Some effects of channelization on the fishes and invertebrates of Rush Creek, Modoc County, California. P. B. Moyle
- Contribution of phytoplankton, periphyton, and macrophytes to primary production in Eagle Lake, California. K. R. Huntsinger and P. E. Maslin
- Occurrence of native fishes in Alameda and Coyote creeks, California. M. E. Aceituno, M. L. Caywood, S. J. Nicola, and W. I. Follett
- Observations of common merganser broods in northwestern California. L. D. Foreman
- Age and length composition of northern anchovies, Engraulis mordax, in the California anchovy reduction fishery, 1973-74 season. J. S. Sunada
- Fall and winter foods of American coots along the lower Colorado River. T. J. Eley, Jr.
California Fish and Game 62(2). Spring 1976.
- Striped bass spawning in the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers in central California from 1963 to 1972. J. L. Turner
- Effects of Salton Sea water on the eggs and larvae of Bairdiella icistia (Pisces: Sciaenidae). R. C. May
- The validity of otoliths as indicators of age of Petrale sole from California. P. A. Gregory and T. Jow
- Distribution, harvest and survival of American wigeon banded in California. W. C. Rienecker
- A range extension for the logperch, Percina macrolepida, in California. G. L. Boles
- On the foraging distance and prey selection of nesting Caspian terns. R. E. Gill, Jr.
- Helminth parasites in American coots from the lower Colorado River. T. J. Eley, Jr.
- First record of the Mohave ground squirrel (Citellus mohavensis) in Kern County, California. D. L. Chesemore and D. Carroll
- Southern range extension of the blue rockfish, Sebastes mystinus, the flag rockfish, S. rubrivinctus, and the shortbelly rockfish, S. jordani. R. Klingbeil and E. H. Knaggs
- A swimming crab, Euphylax dovii Stimpson 1860, new to the marine fauna of California. J. Q. Word
- First record of albinism in the leopard shark (Triakis semifasciata). W. I. Follett
California Fish and Game 62(1). Winter 1976.
- Life history studies of the Sacramento perch, Archoplites interruptus (Girard), in California. M. E. Aceituno and C. D. Vanicek
- An all-weather, two-way fish trap for small streams. T. M. Twedt and D. R. Bernard
- Fishes collected by pigeon guillemots, Cepphus columba (Pallas), nesting on southeast Farallon Island, California. W. I. Follett and D. G. Ainley
- Sturgeon spawning in the Sacramento River in 1973, as determined by distribution of larvae. D. W. Kohlhorst
- The ecology of the gaper or horse clam, Tresus capax (Gould 1850), (Bivalvia, Mactridae), in Humboldt Bay, California. F. Wendell, J. D. DeMartini, P. Dinnel, and J. Siecke
- Estimates of population size for tidepool sculpins, Oligocottus maculosus, and other intertidal fishes, Trinidad Bay, Humboldt County, California. J. R. Moring
- The rock wrasse, Halichoeres semicinctus, as a cleaner fish. E. S. Hobson
- Taxonomic status of Percina in California. J. A. Sturgess
- Frequent mowing increases turkey mullein on California foothill rangeland. D. A. Duncan
- Prey remains at a golden eagle, Aquila chrysaetos, nest near Hopland, California. G. E. Connolly, M. E. Fry, and J. Fammatre
- Nest site and activity of an incubating common merganser in northwestern California. L. D. Foreman
- Observations on the inshore population of dungeness crab in Bodega Bay. D. E. Wickham, R. Shleser, and A. Schuur
- Size and stage of development of larval English sole, Parophrys vetulus, at time of entry into Humboldt Bay. D. A. Misitano
- Checklist of the fishes of the north-eastern Atlantic and of the Mediterranean, Volumes I and II (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Thinking like a mountain (Book Review). W. G. Macgregor The California sea otter trade 1784–1848 (Book Review). D. Zeiner The living reef (Book Review). D. W. Gotshall
California Fish and Game 61(4). Fall 1975.
- Breeding status of the tricolored blackbird, 1969–1972. R. W. DeHaven, F. T. Crase, and P. P. Woronecki
- The age and growth of the Pacific bonito, Sarda chiliensis, in the eastern North Pacific. G. Campbell and R. A. Collins
- Parasites of fishes from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, California. G. H. Hensley and F. M. Nahhas
- Fish trapping: a new method of evaluating fish species composition in limnetic areas of reservoirs. L. J. Paulson and F. A. Espinosa, Jr.
- Aspects of the life history of Tresus nuttali in Elkhorn Slough. P. Clark, J. Nybakken, and L. Laurent
- Notes on the external parasites of California inshore sharks. R. A. Russo
- An extrauterine fetus in the Steller sea lion, Eumetopias jubata. L. G. Talent and C. L. Talent
- Anomalous otoliths from the northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax. J. D. Spratt
- The Stewart modified corral trap. R. D. Rempel and R. C. Bertram
- The status of Rocky Mountain elk in Kern County, 1974. R. D. Thomas
- Modification of the Clover deer trap. D. R. McCullough
- Blood and serum analysis of adult striped bass captured in the Sacramento River. L. A. Courtois
- Measuring salmon, an old and unfamiliar method. D. H. Fry, Jr.
- Further record of the Little Kern golden trout, Salmo aguabonita whiteri, in the Little Kern River basin, California. J. R. Gold and G. A. E. Gall
- Poeciliopsis gracilis (Heckel), a newly introduced poeciliid fish in California. A. J. Mearns
- Polymorphism in populations of Sceloporus occidentalis in Santa Barbara County, California. R. L. White
- Erratum: J. M. Crane et al.
- Freshwater ecology (Book Review). L. G. Puckett
- The carnivores (Book Review). V. C. Bleich
- Fly casting with Lefty Kreh (Book Review). D. P. Lee
- How to tie freshwater flies (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
Return to the river (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Trout magic (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Wilderness fishing for salmon and steelhead (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The trout and the stream (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- A river never sleeps (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The shore fishes of Hawaii (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Marine molluscan genera of western North America: an illustrated key (second edition) (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Seashore life of Puget Sound, the Strait of Georgia, and the San Juan Archipelago (Book Review). L. L. Laurent
- The blackbass in America and overseas (Book Review). D. A. La Faunce
- Fisherman's spring (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 61(3). Summer 1975.
- Growth rate of the northern anchovy, Engraulis mordax, in southern California waters, calculated from otoliths. J. D. Spratt
- Mortality and growth rates, cost, and relative conribution of two different sizes of silver salmon stocked in Lake Berryessa, California, in 1972. R. R. Rawstron
- Age and length composition of northern anchovies, Engraulis mordax, in the 1972–73 season, California anchovy reduction fishery. J. S. Sunada
- California condor plumage and molt as field study aids. S. R. Wilbur
- Occurrence of the rare North Pacific frostfish, Benthodemus elongatus pacificus Parin and Becker, 1970, in Monterey Bay, California. M. E Anderson and G. M. Cailliet
- A range extension and two new California size records for mollusks. J. M. Duffy
- Occurrence of the fathead minnow, Pimephales promelas, in Oregon. J. K. Andreasen
- Latitudinal range extensions for yellow and spotted snake eels (Genus Ophichthus). L. F. Quirollo and P. A. Dinnel
- Occurrence and depth range extension of the yellow snake eel, Ophichthus zophochir, off southern California. J. Wintersteen
- A parakeet auklet, Cyclorrhunchus psittacula, from Monterey Bay, California. L. G. Talent
- An unusual aggregation of bat rays, Myliobatis californica Gill. D. B. Odenweller
- Pugheadedness in the longspine combfish, Zenaiolepsis latepinnis, from Monterey Bay, California. L. G. Talent
California Fish and Game 61(2). Spring 1975.
- Growth rate, distribution, and population density of the northern quahog Mercenaria mercenaria in Long Beach, California. J. M. Crane, L. G. Allen, and C. Eisemann
- Observations on the food habits of leopard sharks (Triakis semifasciata) and brown smoothounds (Mustelus henlei). R. A. Russo
- Otter trawl cod-end escapement experiments for California halibut. J. W. Schott
- A preliminary list of fishes collected from Richardson Bay, California, 1972–1973. R. E. Green
- Changes in the species composition of sharks in south San Francisco Bay. L. A. de Wit
- First California record of the serranid fish Anthias gordensis Wade. E. S. Hobson
California Fish and Game 61(1). Winter 1975.
- A black bear population study in northern California. W. Piekielek and T. S. Burton
- Early larvae of the diamond turbot, Hypsopsetta guttulata. M. B. Eldridge
- The food of Neomysis mercedis Holmes in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. A. L. Baldo Kost and A. W. Knight
- Note on the ecology of the ratfish, Hydrolagus collei, in the Gulf of California. C. P. Mathews
- An unusally fast growth rate for Tilapia zillii. W. J. Hauser
- Notes on some fishes collected off the outer coast of Baja California. E. H. Knaggs, J. S. Sunada, and R. N. Lea
- Occurrence of the prowfish, Zaprora silenus Jordan, 1896 in Monterey Bay, California. G. M. Cailliet and M. E. Anderson
- Endemism in fishes of the Clear Lake Region of central California (Book Review). S. J. Nicola
- Western trout fly tying manual (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 60(4). Fall 1974.
- Mortality rates for California striped bass (Morone saxatilis) from 1965–1971. L. W. Miller
- A vehicle-mounted directional antenna system for biotelemetry monitoring. D. L. Hallberg, F. J. Janza, and G. R. Trapp
- Two new species of sea basses of the genus Diplectrum, with a key to the Pacific species. R. H. Rosenblatt and G. D. Johnson
- Attacks by the white shark, Carcharodon carcharias (Linnaeus), in northern California. W. I. Follett
- A brief survey of the sardine and anchovy populations at Vizcaino Bay, and the sardine fishery of Cedros Island, Baja California. O. Pedrin and H. Shainberg
- Feeding by mature steelhead (Salmo gairdnerii gairdnerii) in the spawning stream. D. C. Burns
- Observations on the underwater tool use by the sea otter, Enhydra lutris (Linnaeus). J. L. Houk and J. J. Geibel
- Western range extension of Stephens' kangaroo rat (Dipodomys stephensi), a threatened species. V. C. Bleich and O. A. Schawartz
- Further contribution on nomenclature for mysids in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Estuary. M. A. Simmons, R. M. Sitts, J. T. Allen, and A. W. Knight
- New geographic and bathymetric records for fishes from southern California. M. S. Love and R. S. Lee
- The compleat brown trout (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr. The birds of California (Book Review). P. E. Giguere
- The wind birds (Book Review). R. M. Jurek
California Fish and Game 60(3). Summer 1974.
- An experimental artificial reef in Humboldt Bay, California. C. M. Dewees and D. W. Gotshall
- Acute toxicity of twenty insecticides to striped bass, Morone saxatilis. S. Korn and R. Earnest
- Aerial census of gray whales in Baja California lagoons, 1970 and 1972, with notes on behavior, mortality and conservation. R. Gard
- Mississippi silversides and logperch in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River system. P. B. Moyle, F. W. Fisher, and H. W. Li
- Chum salmon observations in four north coast streams. D. W. Rogers
- Range extension of the China rockfish. M. S. Love and J. Vucci
- Erratum: J. S. Sunada.
- Hawaiian reef animals (Book Review). D. W. Gotshall Fishes of the western North Atlantic — Part 6 (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Toward global equilibrium: collected papers (Book Review). L. W. Miller
California Fish and Game 60(2). Spring 1974.
- Age and growth of the Pacific saury, Cololabis saira. J. S. Sunada
- A description of the laboratory-reared first and second zoeae of Portunus zantusii (Stimpson) (Brachyura, Decapoda). J. R. Ally
- The California sea lion on islands off the coast of San Luis Obispo County, California. H. W. Braham
- Coyote scats as an indicator of time of fawn mortality in the North Kings deer herd. H. Salwasser
- An evaluation of two artificial least tern nesting sites. D. K. Swickard
- Giant squids, Architeuthis sp., from stomach of sperm whales captured off California. C. H. Fiscus and D. W. Rice
- Age and growth of largemouth bass in California farm ponds. R. F. Schultze and C. D. Vanicek
- A wheeled device for sampling the biota of a concrete-lined canal. G. Bryant
- Occurrence of the tiger barb, Barbus tetrazona, in the Owens Valley, California. R. J. Naiman and E. P. Pister
- Antarctic cirripedia (Book Review). L. L. Laurent FAO
- catalogue of fishing gear designs (Book Review). K. F. Mais
- The palinurid and scyllarid lobster larvae of the tropical eastern Pacific and their distribution as related to the prevailing hydrography (Book Review). R. L. Moe
- In search of trout (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr
California Fish and Game 60(1). Winter 1974.
- Sea-water system design and operations of the Marine Culture Laboratory, Granite Canyon. E. E. Ebert, A. W. Haseltine, and R. O. Kelly
- Notes on collections of shiner perch, Cymatogaster aggregata, in Bodega Harbor, California. E. Shaw, J. Allen, and R. Stone
- The nomenclature for mysids in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Estuary. M. A. Simmons, R. M. Sitts, J. T. Allen, and A. W. Knight
- Influence of size of eggs and age of female on hatchability and growth in rainbow trout. G. A. E. Gall
- Exploitation, survival, growth and cost of stocked silver salmon in Lake Berryessa, California. K. A. Higglesworth and R. R. Rawstron
- Southern range extension of the Baird crab (Chionoecetes bairdi Rathbun). M. J. Hosie and T. F. Gaumer
- Pinnipeds observed in rivers of northern California. P. A. Paulbitski
- Lead concentrations in the wooly sculpin, Clinocottus analis, collected from tidepools of California. W. P. Alley, H. R. Brown, and L. Y. Kawasaki
- First year harvest rates of largemouth bass at Folsom Lake and Lake Berryessa, California. R. R. Rawstron and R. A. Reavis
- Status of marten in northern California, Oregon and Washington. C. F. Yocom
- Environmental toxicology of pesticides (Book Review). W. T. Castle
- Fish farming international, No. 1 (Book Review). E. E. Ebert
- Fly-tying materials (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Amphibians and reptiles of California (Book Review). J. M. Brode
- Rattlesnakes (Book Review). J. M. Brode Conservation and productivity of natural waters (Book Review). K. R. Anderson
California Fish and Game 59(4). Fall 1973.
- Population structure changes and yields of fishes during the initial eight years of impoundment of a warmwater reservoir. K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Harvest, mortality, and cost of three domestic strains of tagged rainbow trout stocked in large California impoundments. R. R. Rawstron
- Comparison of disk dangler, trailer, and internal anchor tags on three species of salmonids. R. R. Rawstron
- On the analysis of angler catch rate data from warmwater reservoirs. C. E. von Geldern, Jr., and P. K. Tomlinson
- Age and length composition of northern anchovies, Engraulis mordax, in the California reduction fishery for the 1971–72 season. J. D. Spratt
- Ambicoloration in some California flatfishes. P. L. Haaker
- Status of the fisher in northern California, Oregon, and Washington. C. F. Yocom and M. T. McCollum
- The first occurrence of Kyphosus analogus in California. S. J. Crooke
- The census of northern elephant seals on San Miguel Island, 1965–1973. J. G. Carlisle, Jr.
- First record of Bryde's whale (Balaenoptera edeni) off California. G. V. Morejohn and D. W. Rice
- Observations on the spawning of the Mississippi silversides, Menidia audens, Hay. F. Fisher
- California condor survey, 1972. W. D. Carrier, R. D. Mallette, S. Wilbur, and J. C. Borneman
- Saltwater flies — popular patterns and how to tie them (Book Review). D. Lee
- Modern saltwater sport fishing (Book Review). D. Lee
- Growth and ecology of fish populations (Book Review). P. A. Zellmer
- Nymphs and the trout (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Art Flick's master fly-tying guide (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Through the fish's eye (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 59(3). Summer 1973.
- Susceptibility and resistance of pheasants, starlings and quail to three respiratory diseases of chickens. J. N. Allred, L. G. Raggi, and G. G. Lee
- The California sablefish fishery for the period 1953–1969. R. H. Parrish
- Contributions to the life history of the silver surfperch Hyperprosopon ellipticum from the Oregon coast. R. S. Wydoski and D. E. Bennett
- Inconsistencies in locating the first annulus of Pacific sardines. M. Kimura
- Fish parasites occurring in thirteen southern California reservoirs. R. L. Miller, A. C. Olson, Jr., and L. W. Miller
- Wolverine records in the Pacific coastal states and new records for northern California. C. F. Yocom
- First record of a golden eagle death due to avian cholera. M. N. Rosen, K. D'Amico, and E. J. O'Neill
- An albino grey smoothhound Mustelus californicus Gill. J. L. Cohen
- Aquaculture: the farming and husbandry of freshwater and marine organisms (Book Review). K. R. Anderson
- Diseases of fish (Book Review). H. Wolf
- Gifts of an eagle (Book Review). H. R. Leach
- The wonderful world of trout (revised edition) (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Statistical ecology, volume 1, spatial patterns and statistical distributions (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- Retirement of Leo Shapovalov. G. W. McCammon
- Erratum: R. R. Rawstron and K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Erratum: M. S. Love and J. Vucci
California Fish and Game 59(2). Spring 1973.
- California inland angling survey for 1970. R. J. Pelzman
- Fish species diversity in a prehistoric central California indian midden. P. D. Schulz and D. D. Simons
- Maturation and growth of Pacific mackerel, Scomber japonicus Houttuyn. E. H. Knaggs and R. H. Parrish
- Age and length composition of northern anchovies (Engraulis mordax) landed in California for reduction during the 1970–71 season. J. D. Spratt
- Wild pigs in Monterey County, California. D. S. Pine and G. L. Gerdes
- Results of the 1971 Pismo clam census. J. G. Carlisle, Jr.
- Records of the California tonguefish, threadfin shad and smooth alligatorfish from the Yaquina Bay, Oregon. E. E. Krygier, W. C. Johnson, and C. E. Bond
- First record of the smooth alligatorfish, Anoplagonus inermis (family Agonidae), from California waters. R. N. Lea
- Potential danger from the Indian catfish, Heteropneustes fossilis (Bloch). E. T. Roche and J. A. St. Amant
- Partial ambicoloration in three California flatfishes. M. S. Love and J. Vucci
- A deformed kelp bass, Paralabrax clathratus (Girard), from Alijos Rocks, Baja California. D. W. Valentine and P. B. Samollow
- African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis laevis (Daudin), established in California. J. A. St. Amant, F. G. Hoover, and G. R. Stewart
- The biology of lampreys (Book Review). A. J. Cordone
- Fishing the dry fly as a living insect (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Trout fishing (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Fly-tying problems and their answers (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The way of trout (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Practical fishing knots (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 59(1). Winter 1973.
- Relationships between soil salinity and the salinity of applied water in the Suisun Marsh of California. G. R. Rollins
- Biomass estimates of spawning herring, Clupea herengus pallasi, herring eggs, and associated vegetation in Tomales Bay. J. E. Hardwick
- Partyboat logs show how skin and scuba divers fared 1965 through 1970. P. H. Young
- Fishes collected in Morro Bay, California between January 1968 and December, 1970. H. L. Fierstine, K. F. Kline, and G. R. Garman
- Albinism in three species of marine invertebrates from southern California. V. L. Human
- Occurrence of the reticulate sculpin, Cottus perplexus, in California, with distributional notes on Cottus gulosus in Oregon and Washington. C. E. Bond
- Modern fresh and salt water fly fishing (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- California water: a study in resource management (Book Review). H. K. Chadwick
- A field guide to the birds of Mexico (Book Review). R. D. Mallette
- Modern book of the black bass (Book Review). L. A. Woods, Jr.
- The stern trawler (Book Review). T. Jow
California Fish and Game 58(4). Fall 1972.
- Primary productivity in a new and an older California reservoir. L. L. Chamberlain
- A midwater trawl for threadfin shad, Dorosoma pentenense. C. E. von Geldern, Jr.
- Contributions to the life history of the Piute sculpin in Sagehen Creek, Califroia. A. C. Jones
- The effects of diesel fuel on a stream fauna. R. B. Bury
- A subpopulation study of the Pacific sardine. K. M. Mais
- Checklist of intertidal fishes of Trinidad Bay, California, and adjacent areas. J. R Moring
- Two new sea urchin-acorn barnacle associations. J. L. Houk and J. M. Duffy
- New hosts and bathymetric range extension for Colobomatus embiotocae (Crustacea, Copepoda). E. W. Iverson
- Southern range extension for the yellowfin goby, Acanthogobius flavimanus (Temminck and Schlegel). G. E. Kukowski
- California condor survey, 1971. W. D. Carrier, R. D. Mallette, S. Wilbur, and J. C. Borneman
- Mountain sheep: a study in behavior and evolution (Book Review). R. A. Weaver
- Fishes of Montana (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr. Remembrances of rivers past (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- A trout and salmon fisherman for seventy-five years (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The dry fly and fast water and the salmon and the dry fly (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Hardy's book of fishing (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The art and science of fly fishing (revised edition) (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- World dynamics (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- The New York Aquarium book of the water world (Book Review). J. A. St. Amant
California Fish and Game 58(3). Summer 1972.
- Life history of the San Joaquin kit fox. S. Morrell
- Melanistic mutant in ringneck pheasants. J. A. Azevedo, Jr., E. G. Hunt, and L. A. Woods, Jr.
- Diel changes in the vertical distribution of the euphausiids, Thysanoessa spinifera Holmes and Euphausia pacifica Hansen, in coastal waters of Washington. M. S. Alton and C. J. Blackburn
- Population differences in the swell shark Cephaloscyllium ventriosum. C. A. Grover
- DDT residues in white croakers. W. T. Castle and L. A. Woods, Jr.
- Characteristics of the fall-run steelhead trout (Salmo gairdneri gairdneri) of the Klamath River system with emphasis on the half-pounder. W. D. Kesner and R. A. Barnhart
- Mortality and survival rates of tagged largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) at Merle Collins Reservoir. R. R. Rawtron and K. A. Hashagen, Jr. Winter food of trout in three high elevation Sierra Nevada lakes. G. V. Elliot and T. M. Jenkins, Jr.
- Reproductive failure of pelagic cormorant, San Luis Obisop County, California, 1970. L. B. Penhale
- The reoccurrence of the California scorpionfish, Scorpaena gutata Girard, in Monterey Bay. D. H. Varoujean
- Symbiosis in the blacktail snailfish, Careproctus melanurus and the box crab, Lopholithodes foraminatus. R. H. Parrish
- A new range record for the umbrella crab, Cryptolithodes sitchensis Brandt. D. B. Odenweller
- First record of a reversed butter sole, Isopsetta isolepsis. P. L. Haaker
- The cottonmouth jack, Uraspis secunda, added to the marine fauna of California. J. E. Fitch
- A case for striped mullet, Mugil cephalus, spawning at sea. J. E. Fitch
- A range extension for the logperch. D. G. Farley
- Biology and water pollution control (Book Review). J. W. Burns
- Sea shells of tropical west America: marine mollusks from Baja California to Peru — second edition. (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Fishless days, angling nights (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Life and death in a coral sea (Book Review). D. W. Gotshall
- Wildlife of Mexico: the game birds and mammals (Book Review). C. M. Ferrel
- Round River (Book Review). C. M. Ferrel
California Fish and Game 58(2). Spring 1972.
- Angling quality at Folsom Lake, California, as determined by a roving creel census. C. E. von Geldern, Jr.
- White sturgeon population characteristics in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary as measured by tagging. L. W. Miller
- Migrations of sturgeon tagged in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary. L. W. Miller
- Southern California Pacific mackerel fishery and age composition of commercial landings during the 1968–69 and 1969–70 seasons. E. H. Knaggs
- Age and length composition of northern anchovies, Engraulis mordax, in the California anchovy reduction fishery for the 1969–70 season. J. D. Spratt
- Acute toxicity of four organochlorine insecticides to two species of surfperch. R. D. Earnest and P. E. Benville, Jr.
- The Mineral King deer herd. E. R. Schneegas and G. W. Franklin
- Rabies in a deer. D. T. Cappucci, Jr. and W. M. Longhurst
- Nonreporting of tagged largemouth bass. R. R. Rawstron
- Tailless Dover sole from off the Oregon coast. R. L. Demory
- A polypropylene light trap for aquatic invertebrates. L. R. Espinosa and W. E. Clark
- Tolerance of high salinity by the pileworm, Neanthes succinea, from the Salton Sea, California. J. A. Hanson
- Range extension of Palaemonetes paludosus (Gibbes) in California. J. A. St. Amant and J. S. Day
- The ecology of running waters (Book Review). J. W. Burns
- Systematics, variation, distribution, and biology of rockfishes of the subgenus Sebastomus (Pisces, Scorpaenidae, Sebasetes) (Book Review). D. Miller
- If deer are to survive (Book Review). G. C. Ashcraft
California Fish and Game 58(1). Winter 1972.
- Coyote food habits in Sagehen Creek Basin, northeastern California. V. M. Hawthorne
- The southern California Pacific mackerel fishery and age composition of the catch for the 1964–65 through 1967–68 seasons. R. H. Parrish and E. H. Knaggs
- DDT residues in eight California marine fishes. S. B. Shaw
- Southern geographical records for four surfperches, family Embiotocidae, with notes on a population resurgence of the sharpnose seaperch. R. N. Lea
- The identity of Sebastes babcocki and Sebastes subrivinctus. R. H. Rosenblatt and L.-C. Chen
- A study of predation by sea lions on salmon in Montery Bay. K. T. Briggs and C. W. Davis
- Harvest, survival, and cost of two domestic strains of tagged rainbow trout stocked in Lake Berryessa, California. R. R. Rawstron
- Ovarian cycling in longjaw gobies, Gillichthys mirabilis from the Salton Sea. G. W. Barlow and V. D. De Vlaming
- The response of Salton Sea fish eggs and larvae to salinity stress. R. Lasker, R. H. Tenaza, and L. L. Chamberlain
- California condor survey, 1970. R. D. Mallette, S. Wilbur, W. D. Carrier, and J. C. Borneman
- The survival of Guadalupe cardinalfish Apogon guadalupensis at San Clemente Island. E. S. Hobson
- Hikers and backpackers handbook. (Book Review). L. Espinosa
- The vanishing jungle — the story of the World Wildlife Fund expeditions to Pakistan (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- Come wade the river (Book Review). S. J. Nicola
- Kamloops (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- British Columbia game fish (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 57(4). Fall 1971.
- Abundance and distribution of fingerling largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides, as determined by electrofishing, at Lake Nacimiento, California. C. E. Von Geldern, Jr.
- Nonreporting of tagged white catfish, largemouth bass, and bluegills by anglers at Folsom Lake, California. R. R. Rawstron
- Harvest and survival of rainbow trout infected with Sanguinicola davisi Wales. R. R. Rawstron
- The 1965–1967 migrations of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary striped bass population. J. J. Orsi
- Effects of temperature, salinity, and dissolved oxygen on the survival of striped bass eggs and larvae. J. L. Turner and T. C. Farley
- An annual reproductive cycle of the gaper clam, Tresus capax (Gould) in south Humboldt Bay, California. J. R. Machell and J. D. De Martini
- Size and age composition of northern anchovies (Engraulis mordax) in the California reduction and canning fisheries, 1968–69 season. R. A. Collins
- Chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides in California sea otters and harbor seals. S. B. Shaw
- Occurrences of the bearded eelpout Hyconema barbatum off northern California and southern Oregon. D. W. Gotshall
- Landowner utilization of a wild pheasant resource. R. T. Forester
- Progress report on reestablishment of the Mojave chub Gila mohavensis (Snyder), an endangered species. R. A. St. Amant and S. Sasaki
- The effect of temperature on the number of circulating hemocytes in the California sea hare, Aphysia californica. G. B. Pauley and S. M. Krassner
- Parasitic diseases of wild mammals (Book Review). M. N. Rosen
- Everyman's guide to ecological living (Book Review). T. Wooster
- Pictorial guide to the birds of North America (Book Review). J. A. St. Amant
- Wildlife for America (Book Review). P. E. Giguere
- American hawking — a general account of falconry in the New World (Book Review). H. R. Leach
- Climate, man and history (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- Before nature dies (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- Atlantic salmon flies and fishing (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Selective trout (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 57(3). Summer 1971.
- Sensitivity of striped bass and stickleback to ammonia in relation to temperature and salinity. C. R. Hazel, W. Thomsen, and S. J. Meith
- Coyote movements in Sagehen Creek Basin, northeastern California. V. M. Hawthorne
- California deer deaths due to massive infestation by the louse (Linognathus africanus). O. Brunetti and H. Cribbs
- Sequential mortality of the fish fauna impounded in construction of a marina at Dana Point, California. J. P. Waggoner III and C. R. Feldmeth
- Protein differences in the eye lens cortex and nucleus of individual channel rockfish, Sebastologus alascanus. A. C. Smith
- Revision of the age composition of the southern California catch of Pacific mackerel for the 1958–59 through 1963–64 seasons. R. H. Parrish and E. H. Knaggs
- Age composition of sardine landings on the Pacific coast of the United States and Mexico 1965–1966. C. E. Blunt, Jr. and M. Kimura
- Food of the jack mackerel, Trachurus symmetricus. J. G. Carlisle, Jr
- . Food habits of white sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus, in San Pablo and Suisun bays, California. R. J. McKechnie and R. B. Fenner
- Nighttime artificial aeration of Puddingstone Reservoir, Los Angeles County, California. A. W. Fast and J. A. St. Amant
- A second record of the scythe butterflyfish, Chaetodon falcifer, from California. R. S. Kiwala and R. B. McConnaughey
- A Sei whale, Balaenoptera borealis, feeding on Pacific saury, Cololabis saira. C. D. Gill and S. E. Hughes
- The fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) in Ventura County. T. F. Wolf and A. I. Roest
- The ecosystem concept in natural resource management (Book Review). A. Calhoun
- Eutrophication: causes, consequences, correctives (Book Review). A. Calhoun
- How to attract, house, and feed birds (Book Review). R. D. Mallette
- Management of lakes and ponds (Second Edition) (Book Review). S. J. Nicola
- Fish and invertebrate culture: water management in closed systems (Book Review). J. W. Burns
- How to be a survivor (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- A book of trout flies (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- The art of tying the wet fly and fishing the flymph (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 57(2). Spring 1971.
- Sex ratios and survival estimates among salmon populations. P. T. Jensen and J. Hyde
- California inland angling survey for 1969, with corrections for the 1964 survey. J. W. Emig
- Age composition of sardine landings on the Pacific coast of the United States and Mexico in 1964–1965. M. Kimura and C. E. Blunt, Jr.
- Canada goose nest platforms. W. C. Rienecker
- Sea lion census for 1970, including counts of other California pinnipeds. J. G. Carlisle, Jr. and J. A. Aplin
- Occurrence of the northern quahog, Mercenaria mercenaria, in Colorado Lagoon, Long Beach, California. A. Salchak and J. Haas
- New locality for the pupfish Cyprinodon nevadensis at Badwater, Death Valley, California. W. P. Alley, D. S. Fertig, and A. W. Klishevich
- Addition of Xiphophous variatus (Meek), to the California fauna. J. A. St. Amant and I. Sharp
- Sexual dimporphism in the painted greenling and observation of defense of an egg mass. G. D. Edwards
- Occurrence of hermaphrodism in the market crab, Cancer magister. M. Willis
- Erratum: A. Cordone et al.
- Readings in ecology and ecological genetics (Book Review). L. W. Miller
- A modern dry-fly code (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
- Traite de pisciculture (Book Review). P. Giguere
California Fish and Game 57(1). Winter 1971.
- The striped bass party boat fishery: 1960–1968. R. J. McKechnie and L. W. Miller
- Upper lethal temperature and thermal shock tolerances of the opossum shrimp, Neomysis awatschensis, from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary, California. J. R. Hair
- The kokanee salmon in Lake Tahoe. A. J. Cordone, S. J. Nicola, P. H. Baker, and T. C. Frantz
- The carrying capacity for juvenile salmonids in some northern California streams. J. W. Burns
- Some influences of temperature on the development of the grunion, Leuresthes tenuis (Ayres). K. F. Ehrlich and D. A. Farris
- A review of possible causes of mortality of oyster larvae of the genus Crassostrea in Tomales Bay, California. C. J. Berg, Jr.
- Anguilla recorded from California. J. E. Skinner
- Trout streams: conditions that determine their productivity and suggestions for stream and lake management (Book Review). L. Shapovalov
- Olfaction in fishes (Book Review). F. G. Hoover
- Fisheries year book and directory 1968–69 (Book Review). J. G. Smith
- Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research (Book Review). T. C. Farley
- Statistical tables (Book Review). T. C. Farley
- Seashore life of southern California: an introduction to the animal life of California beaches south of Santa Barbara (Book Review). C. H. Turner
- Freshwater fishes of Alabama (Book Review). L. K. Puckett
- Population, resources, environment (Book Review). T. Wooster
- The marine mammals of the northwestern coast of North America and the American whale fishery (Book Review). J. G. Carlisle, Jr.
- The central desert of Baja California: demography and ecology (Book Review). H. B. Clemens
- Lower California and its natural resources (Book Review). H. B. Clemens
- A field guide to the insects of America north of Mexico (Book Review). E. W. Lesh, Jr.
- Home is the desert (Book Review). J. Holven
- Wyoming fishes (Third Edition) (Book Review). K. A. Hashagen, Jr.
California Fish and Game 56(4). Fall 1970.
- Bimonthly bird counts at selected observation points around San Francisco Bay, February, 1964 to January, 1966. F. H. Bollman, P. K. Thelin, and R. T. Forester
- A preliminary study of the relationship of saltponds and wildlife — south San Francisco Bay. W. Anderson
- Spawning bed sedimentation studies in northern California streams. J. W. Burns
- Harvest of four strains of rainbow trout, Salmo gairdnerii, from Beardsley Reservoir, California. A. J. Cordone and S. J. Nicola
- Fishes associated with drifting kelp, Macrocystis pyrifera, off the coast of southern California and northern Baja California. C. T. Mitchell and J. R. Hunter
- The reproductive cycle, gonadal histology, and gametogenesis of the red abalone, Haliotis rufescens (Swainson). J. S. Young and J. D. DeMartini
- White-tailed kites nesting in Del Norte County, California. M. Hehnke
- The sagebrush lizard — a new locality and comments on its distribution in west central California. T. G. Balgooyen
- Introduction of blue catfish into California. W. M. Richardson, J. A. St. Amant, L. J. Bottroff, and W. L. Parker
- Occurrence on the high seas of a steelhead trout in its ninth year. P. M.
- Washington Occurrence of king (Chinook) salmon in the Kings River, Fresno County. P. B. Moyle
California Fish and Game 56(3). Summer 1970.
- Some ecological effects of discharged wastes on marine life. R. W. Grigg and R. S. Kiwala
- Diversity in feeding by Brandt's cormorant near San Diego. C. L. Hubbs, A. L. Kelley, and C. Limbaugh
- Some aspects of the life history of the Santa Ana Sucker, Catostomus (Pantosteus) santaanae (Snyder). D. W. Greenfield, S. T. Ross, and G. D. Deckert
- Duck nesting and production in the Humboldt Bay Area of California. R. J. Wheeler and S. W. Harris
- The white-tailed kite in California with observations of the Santa Barbara population. L. B. Waian and R. C. Stendell
- California condor surveys, 1969. R. D. Mallette, F. C. Sibley, W. Dean Carrie, and J. C. Borneman
- Predation on the purple urchin by the leather star. R. J. Rosenthall and J. R. Chess
- Western range extension of the rosethorn rockfish, Sebastes helvomaculatus (Ayres). J. Nishimoto
- Observation of mating behavior of the striped perch and notes on possible reproductive activity of the rainbow perch. G. D. Edwards
- Observed interaction between desert bighorn sheep, Ovis canadensis, and reported predator species. R. A. Weaver and J. L. Mensch
- Waterfowl botulism in California. — 1969. B. F. Hunter
- Large black bear from Yosemite. N. G. Guse, Jr.
- Occurrence of a flamingo at Tomales Bay. R. J. Wheeler
- Handbook of freshwater fishery ecology, Volume 1 (Book Review). L. Shapovalov
- Electronics for biologists (Book Review). P. A. Gregory
- Advances in ecological research, Volume 6 (Book Review). H. K. Chadwick
- Environmental conservation, second edition (Book Review). H. D. Bissell
- The life of the desert (Book Review). J. A. St. Amant
- Wildlife management techniques (Third Edition: Revised) (Book Review). M. N. Rosen
- The life of the cave (Book Review). J. A. St. Amant
- Handbook of Rocky Mountain plants (Book Review). B. Browning
- Big game hunting around the world (Book Review). C. M. Ferrel
- Freezing and irradiation of fish (Book Review). R. R. Bell
- The encyclopedia of marine resources (Book Review). J. Geibel
- Refrigeration on fishing vessels (Book Review). W. L. Craig
- Finding birds in Mexico (Second Edition) (Book Review). H. R. Leach
- The seine net: its origin, evolution and use (Book Review). E. H. Knaggs
- Wild sanctuaries: our national wildlife refuges — a heritage restored (Book Review). E. W. Lesh, Jr.
- Principles of systematic zoology (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- The Pacific salmon fisheries, a study of irrational conservation (Book Review). D. H. Fry, Jr.
- Anarctic ascidiacea (Book Review). C. H. Turner
California Fish and Game 56(2). Spring 1970.
- Distribution of sturgeon larvae in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River system. D. E. Stevens and L. W. Miller
- Shorebird and waterbird use of the Salton Sea. G. McCaskie
- Influence of molybdenum on the trout and trout fishing of Castle Lake. A. J. Cordone and S. J. Nicola
- A qualitative and quantitative study of trout food in Castle Lake, California. M. C. Swift Bioassay of king salmon eggs and sac fry in copper solutions. C. R. Hazel and S. J. Meith
- Vertical migration of the ocean shrimp, Pandalus jordani: a feeding and dispersal mechanism. W. G. Pearcy
- Sea lion census for 1969, including counts of other California pinnipeds. H. W. Frey and J. A. Aplin
- Food habits of Clinocottus analis (Girard). R. S. Mollick
- A white sea urchin-acorn barnacle enigma. A. R. Strachan
- The California least tern breeding in Alameda and San Mateo counties. W. Anderson
- Oldest tagged northern elephant seal recovered in Oregon. B. R. Mate
- Addition of Hart's rivulus, Rivulus harti (Boulenger), to the Californian fauna. J. A. St. Amant
- Differential distribution of the striped mullet, Mugil cephalus Linnaeus. D. W. Johnson and E. L. McClendon
- Advances in ecological research, volume 5 (Book Review). J. R. Bybee
- Living turtles of the world (Book Review). J. A. St. Amant
California Fish and Game 56(1). Winter 1970.
- The limnology and productivity of three California coldwater reservoirs. S. J. Nicola and D. P. Borgeson
- Food of lake trout in Lake Tahoe. T. C. Frantz and A. J. Cordone
- Food habits of the western gray squirrel. W. Stienecker and B. M. Browning
- A description of the northern anchovy live bait fishery, and the age and length composition of the catch during the seasons 1956–58 through 1964–65. R. Wood and A. R. Strachan
- A fibroma in the abdominal cavity of a king salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha. S. C. Katkansky, R. W. Warner, and W. H. Sholes
- A punch to facilitate the removal of salmonid otoliths. J. L. McKern and H. F. Horton
- A note on the behavior of the octopod Ocythoe tuberculata. J. E. Hardwick
- Establishment of Tilapia mossambica Peters in Bard Valley, Imperial County, California. F. G. Hoover and J. A. St. Amant
- Scrub jay possibly feeding on ectoparasites of a black-tailed deer. T. A. Schulz and P. D. Budwiser
- The fishes of the British Isles and northwest Europe (Book Review). J. E. Fitch
- Deep-water teleostean fishes in California (Book Review). R. N. Lea
- The behavior and physiology of pinnipeds (Book Review). M. Odemar
- From sea to shining sea, a report on the American environment — our natural heritage (Book Review). L. Shapovalov
- Symposium on salmon and trout in streams (Book Review). A. Calhoun
- Managing water quality: economics, technology, institutions (Book Review). J. C. Fraser
- Oceanographic atlas of the Pacific Ocean (Book Review). H. W. Frey The life of the marsh (Book Review). J. A. St. Amant
- Handy medical guide for seafarers, fishermen, trawlermen, and yachtsmen (Book Review). C. H. Turner