- About OSPR
- C-Plans, Drills & Exercises
- Financial Responsibility
- Laws & Regulations
- Marine Safety
- Local Government Outreach
- News & Publications
- Oil Spill Response Orgs.
- Restoration (NRDA)
- Science & Wildlife
Report Oil Spills
800-852-7550 or 800-OILS-911
Office of Spill Prevention
1700 K Street, Suite 250
Sacramento, CA 95811
Leviathan Mine CERCLA Site
- LOCATION: Leviathan and Bryant Creeks, Alpine County, CA and Douglas County, NV
- DATE: Since 1954 and continuing
- INCIDENT SUMMARY: Acid mine drainage (AMD) from the Leviathan Mine runs out of the mine site and into several creeks, impacting many miles of streams and adjacent land.
- RESPONSIBLE PARTY: Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO)
- NATURAL RESOURCE TRUSTEES: California Dept. of Fish and Game, Washoe Tribe, United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, Nevada Division of Environmental Protection, United States Fish and Wildlife Service, United States Forest Service.
- RESOURCES IMPACTED: Instream habitat and wildlife (fish, macroinvertebrates); riparian habitat; tribal resource uses; recreational uses (fishing).
- Sacramento Fish & Wildlife Office
- Lahontan Water Board
- E.P.A. Leviathan Mine
- E.P.A. Leviathan Mine CERCLA Administrative Record Index
Page Last Updated: July 1, 2011