- About OSPR
- C-Plans, Drills & Exercises
- Financial Responsibility
- Laws & Regulations
- Marine Safety
- Local Government Outreach
- News & Publications
- Oil Spill Response Orgs.
- Restoration (NRDA)
- Science & Wildlife
Report Oil Spills
800-852-7550 or 800-OILS-911
Office of Spill Prevention
1700 K Street, Suite 250
Sacramento, CA 95811
American Trader Oil Spill
- LOCATION: Huntington Beach, Orange County
- DATE: February 7, 1990
- INCIDENT SUMMARY: The oil tanker American Trader ran over its anchor, puncturing its hull and spilling an estimated 416,598 gallons of crude oil.
- RESPONSIBLE PARTY: British Petroleum, Attransco, Golden West Refining Co.
- NATURAL RESOURCE TRUSTEES:
- Recreational Component: California Department of Fish and Wildlife; Department of Parks and Recreation; City of Newport Beach, City of Huntington Beach; Orange County.
- Biological Component: California Department of Fish and Wildlife; United States Fish and Wildlife Service; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- RESOURCES IMPACTED: Birds (3,400 estimated killed); fish; recreational beach use.
- SETTLEMENT DETAILS: The case was divided into two components: recreational impacts and biological impacts. The recreational component of the case went to trial, where a jury award was eventually settled for $11.6 million. The biological component of the case was settled out of court for $3.45 million for bird and fish-related injuries, plus an additional $360,000 for water monitoring projects.
- STATUS OF RESTORATION:
- Recreational Component: One final project in implementation. Select Back Bay Science Center link below to see one of the completed projects.
- Biological Component: Projects completed.
- Back Bay Science Center
- NOAA DARRP Site
- Achieving Balance: Anacapa Island Ten Years After the Removal of the Black Rat, 4 minutes (YouTube)
- Achieving Balance: Anacapa Island Ten Years After the Removal of the Black Rat, 15 minutes (YouTube)
- Restoring Balance: Removing the Black Rat from Anacapa Island, Part 1, 10 minutes (YouTube)
- Restoring Balance: Removing the Black Rat from Anacapa Island, Part 2, 10 minutes (YouTube)
- Restoring Balance: Removing the Black Rat from Anacapa Island, Part 3, 8 minutes (YouTube)
Page Last Updated: July 16, 2013