- Ocean Fishing
- Laws & Regulations
- Marine Protected Areas
- Fish Identification
- Permits & Licenses
- Marine Life Management & Research
- Marine Region Projects
Main Office: 20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey, CA 93940
Information: (831) 649-2870, AskMarine@wildlife.ca.gov
Dr. Craig Shuman
North Central Coast Study Region Public Workshops, Meeting Agenda: February 4-6, 2008
- February 4, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Sheraton Sonoma County*
745 Baywood Drive, Petaluma, CA 94954
- February 5, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Gualala Arts Center*
46501 Gualala Road, Gualala, CA 95455
- February 6, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Best Western Lighthouse Hotel*
105 Rockaway Beach Avenue, Pacifica, CA 94044
* This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TT) or 800.735.2922 (voice) and ask them to contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.653.5656.
Due to the format of these workshops, they will not be videotaped or simultaneously webcast. Workshop materials will be posted to this page as they become available.
Most files require Adobe Reader.
- Brief members of the public on the status of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative North Central Coast Project (i.e., where we are in the process and next steps)
- Outline the content of the five draft MPA proposals and invite questions and comments from members of the public
- Identify other methods by which the public can participate in the MLPA Initiative process
I. Welcome, introductions, objectives and format
II. Brief overview of MLPA Initiative
- California Marine Life Protection Act
- What are marine protected areas (MPAs)?
- MLPA Initiative process
- Who are the groups involved in the MLPA Initiative?
- Other opportunities for public involvement in the process
- Clarifying questions about the MLPA Initiative
III. Status of MLPA North Central Coast Project and next steps in the process
- What has been accomplished to date? What are the next steps in the process?
- Describe status and outline content of current draft MPA proposals
- Summarize MPA evaluation methods
- Clarifying questions on the overall North Central Coast Project
IV. Focused discussion: public input on draft MPA proposals
- In breakout session format, participants are invited to ask questions and offer comments on the draft MPA proposals. Participants will be asked to fill out comment forms.
- Public input will be summarized and forwarded to the North Central Coast Regional Stakeholder Group members working on the draft MPA proposals.
V. Brief wrap up and recap of key next steps
- List of commonly used acronyms and abbreviated terms
- Goals of the Marine Life Protection Act
- What are marine protected areas?
- MLPA Initiative, second phase
- MLPA Initiative, second phase participants
- Membership list for the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
- Membership list for the Master Plan Science Advisory Team
- Membership list for the MLPA North Central Coast Regional Stakeholder Group
- Opportunities for public involvement in the MLPA Initiative
- Timeline of the MLPA Initiative second phase
- Draft MPA proposals (maps and allowable uses)
- Summary of evaluation methods
- Comment form for draft MPA proposals (Microsoft Word Document)