- Ocean Fishing
- Laws & Regulations
- Marine Protected Areas
- Fish Identification
- Permits & Licenses
- FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
- Marine Life Management & Research
- Marine Region Projects
Main Office: 20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey, CA 93940
Information: (831) 649-2870, AskMarine@wildlife.ca.gov
MPA Options under Consideration by the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force
The MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) reviewed the Round 3 MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (SCRSG) marine protected area proposals at its recent meeting (October 20-22, 2009).During this meeting, the BRTF considered what to include in a preferred alternative to be recommended to the California Fish and Game Commission.
A subset of MPAs from the three SCRSG MPA proposals was agreed upon by the BRTF to be potentially included in a preferred alternative. In addition, there are four general geographies where alternative options have been identified and requested for separate analysis: Point Dume (three options), Palos Verdes (two options), Orange County (two options), and San Diego (four options).
All MPA options are currently under consideration and review by the BRTF, and none of the MPAs have been formally included in a preferred alternative. The BRTF will reconvene on November 10, 2009 to further discuss these options.
BRTF Options under Consideration
- Subregional maps
- Overview table of MPAs under consideration
- Descriptions of common MPAs
- Descriptions of MPA options in four geographies (Point Dume, Palos Verdes, Orange County and San Diego)
- Comparison of proposed allowed uses in MPA options for the four geographies
MPA Proposals Developed for the MLPA South Coast Study Region
SCRSG and external MPA proposals developed in rounds 1, 2 and 3 of the south coast marine protected area planning process were analyzed by the MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team, California Department of Fish and Game, California Department of Parks and Recreation, and MLPA Initiative staff, and are being used by the BRTF for developing a recommendation for the State of California.
- SCRSG Round 3 MPA Proposals Developed by Work Groups of the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group – September 2009
- Draft MPA Proposals Developed by Work Groups of the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group and Revised MPA Proposals Generated Externally to the SCRSG Work Group Process – May 2009
- Draft MPA Arrays Developed by Work Groups of the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group and Draft MPA Proposals Generated Externally to the SCRSG Work Group Process - March 2009