- Ocean Fishing
- Laws & Regulations
- Marine Protected Areas
- Fish Identification
- Permits & Licenses
- FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
- Marine Life Management & Research
- Marine Region Projects
Main Office: 20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey, CA 93940
Information: (831) 649-2870, AskMarine@wildlife.ca.gov
Fishery-Independent Research: Deep Subtidal Studies
- ROV Monitoring of the Channel Islands MPAs
- News and Feature Articles
- Video Clips
- Public Outreach Presentations
- Research and Funding Partners
- ROV-based Deep Water Monitoring of the Northern Channel Islands Marine Protected Areas: Annual Report (2008)
- ROV-based Deep Water Monitoring of the Northern Channel Islands Marine Protected Areas: Annual Report (2007)
- Pictures of Marine Life in the Pacific - Are California's Marine Protected Areas Flourishing Again?
ABC 7 News Story, October 28, 2008 Evening News
- All reports require Adobe Reader.
- If the work presented below is reproduced elsewhere, authors from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife would appreciate receiving appropriate acknowledgment.
This page is currently under development. Please check back often for new information and updates.
ROV Monitoring of the Channel Islands MPAs
Cruise Dates: Leg 1: August 14-27, 2005; Leg 2: September 22-October 12, 2005
Quantitative Monitoring of Channel Islands Marine Protected Areas using a Remotely Operated Vehicle - A cooperative study with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, and Marine Applied Research and Exploration
Cruise Report No. 05-S-1 (Includes Figures 1-6 and Appendix 1)
File size 2.1 MB - Large file size
Cruise Date: September 7-20, 2004
Quantitative Finfish Abundance and Exploration of Santa Barbara Channel Islands Marine Protected Areas - A Cooperative Remote Operated Vehicle Study with the Department of Fish and Game, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, and Marine Applied Research and Exploration
Cruise Report No. 04-S-2 (Includes Figures 1-9)
File size 4.4 MB - Large file size
Cruise Dates: Leg 1: November 11-14 and 19-25, 2003; Leg 2: May 13-18, 2004
Exploration and Inventory of Santa Barbara Channel Islands Marine Protected Areas - A Cooperative Remote Operated Vehicle Study with the Department of Fish and Game, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, and Marine Applied Research and Exploration
Cruise Report No. 04-S-1 (Includes Figures 1-30 and Appendices 1-3)
File size 13.4 MB - Large file size
- Detecting Changes in Fish Abundance in the Deep Waters of the Channel Islands Marine Reserves Using a Remotely Operated Vehicle
One-page summary from a special session of the California Islands Symposium: The First Five Years of Monitoring the Channel Islands Marine Protected Area Network, February 2008
Having trouble viewing these files?
Because of the large file size of the above reports, some computers may have trouble quickly opening these PDF files. If you are having trouble viewing one or more of these files, follow these instructions to download it to your computer.
- RIGHT-CLICK the above link to the map.
- Depending on which web browser you are using, select SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS.
- Choose a name for the report and a location to store it in your computer.
- Click the SAVE Button.
Public Outreach Presentations
- Marine Protected Area Fish Assessments at the Channel Islands - Precursor to a State-wide Monitoring Plan
National Park Service Brown Bag Presentation by Konstantin Karpov, CDFW senior marine biologist, 13 November 2008
ROV Research and Funding Partners
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife recognizes the tremendous contributions of its research and funding partners, whose efforts to conserve and enhance marine resources for public use and enjoyment echo and complement our own:
- Commonweal Institute
- CSU Monterey Bay Seafloor Mapping Lab
- Deep Ocean Engineering
- Institute for Fisheries Resources
- Jessica Hobba
- Larry L. Hillblom Foundation
- Marine Applied Research and Exploration (MARE)
- Marisla Foundation
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration,
Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary
Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary
Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
- National Resources Defense Council
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Santa Barbara City College Marine Technology Program
- The Nature Conservancy
- The Rosen Family
- United States Geological Service
Note: This is an incomplete list of research partners -- watch for it to grow in the future!