- About Us
- Contact Us
- Calendar and Events
- Maps and Directions
- Habitats & Species
- Food, Gas, Lodging
- Rules & Regulations
- Dog Training (FT/HT)
- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
San Jacinto Wildlife Area - Riverside County
The symbols above are activities permitted on this Wildlife Area. Click for more info.
Location: Riverside County - East of Lake Perris State Recreational Area
Phone Number: (951) 928-0580
Important Update for 2011/2012 Hunt Season Regarding Check Station Procedures
Important Update: Tour road will be closed Monday through Friday, beginning May 22, 2012 through June 1, 2012
Hunters and other recreational visitors must purchase any needed licenses, passes, and validations from a CDFW license sales office, a license agent, or online. The Automated License Data System gives every license agent the ability to sell items previously available only from CDFW license sales offices.
Hunters verify that all members of your hunting party have the items below:
- California Hunting License
- Prepaid Wildlife Area Pass (not required for junior hunters)
- (Type A One-Day, Two Day or Season Pass for Type A Areas), OR
- (Type A or B Season Pass for Northeastern Zone Type B Areas)
- Harvest Information Program (HIP) Validation
- California Duck Validation (not required for junior hunters)
- Federal Duck Stamp (required for all hunters age 16 or older)
- Upland Game Bird Stamp (required only if hunting upland game birds - not required for junior hunters).
OTHER RECREATIONAL VISITORS verify that all members of your party have the items below:
- Prepaid CDFW Lands Pass (Only required on Grizzly Island, Gray Lodge, Los Banos, San Jacinto, Imperial, Upper Newport Bay, and Elkhorn Slough)
- Day Use Pass, OR
- Annual Pass
Note: Passes purchased online, will be mailed to the customer. Allow 15 days for delivery of your pass. If you need a pass for use sooner than 15 days, please purchase a pass from a license agent or CDFW license sales office.
If you do not have the above items, you will not be issued an entry permit.
- The Wildlife Area Checking station is on Davis Road 2¼ miles north of Ramona Expressway. There is no access through Davis Road from to the north.
- The SJWA Headquarters (HQ) Office is open Monday through Friday from 7 am - 3 pm. The office is closed on all State and Federal holidays.
- The Upland Game area is open from ½ hour prior to sunrise until sunset. It is the portion of the Wildlife Area that is on the west side of Davis road. Please check in at the Permit Booth located on Davis Road across the street from the Wildlife Area's Headquarters office
The Wildlife Area's main gate is currently open 7 days a week from 7 am until sunset for your enjoyment
Please be advised that during rainy periods the auto tour road through the refuge may be closed due to unsafe road conditions. During these rainy periods, Davis Road in from Ramona Expressway is also very muddy and slippery and may be impassable. Please feel free to call ahead and speak to one of our staff to find out the status of the conditions.
Description: 9,000 acres of restored wetlands including ponds. The first state wildlife area to utilize reclaimed water to enhance its wetlands. Improvements are ongoing. Waterfowl, wadding birds, and quail are a few of the many animals found here.
Ammunition Restrictions: A hunter shall not possess more than 25 shot shells while in the field during the waterfowl season.
PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and places where licenses are sold.