- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
North Grasslands Wildlife Area - Merced & Stanislaus County
ANNOUNCEMENT: Flood up maps are current as of 08/18/2014. Due to changing weather, water availability and management needs, the flood up schedule may change at any time.
- North Grasslands (China Island Unit) Flood-up Schedule / Map (PDF)
- North Grasslands (Gadwall Unit) Flood-up Schedule / Map (PDF)
- North Grasslands (Salt Slough Unit) Flood-up Schedule / Map (PDF)
- Wildlife Area Public Meeting, 8/16/2014 (PDF)
Location/Directions: 6 mi N of Los Banos. The China Island Unit is located between Newman and Gustine. From Gustine and the intersection of Hwy 33 and 140, travel 1.7 mi N on Hwy 33, turn right onto Canal School Rd., travel 1.4 mi and turn right onto Brazo Rd, travel 0.7 mi and turn left, proceed 1.2 mi. The Galdwall Unit is approximately two mi east of Los Banos at Santa Fe Grade. The Salt Slough Unit is approximately 7 mi N of Los Banos.
Phone Number: (209) 826-0463
Description: 7,069 acres of wetlands, riparian habitat and uplands. These restored and created wetlands are now habitat for the Swainson's hawk and sandhill crane. Camping allowed only at hunter check station.
PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and places where licenses are sold.