- General Information
- Wildlife Viewing
- Area History
- What's Going On at Grizzly Island during the year... ?
- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
Grizzly Island Wildlife Area - Complex Hunting Opportunities
This area is located within the Suisun Marsh, in Solano County. It is owned and operated by CDFW. There are approximately 7,900 acres open to hunting. Grizzly Island Wildlife Area Complex is divided into several units. The following is information regarding hunting on each unit.
* Complete Area Regulations for hunting, fishing, and other uses can be found at http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/.
Grizzly Island and Crescent Units:
These are designated as "Type A" areas for waterfowl and pheasant hunting. Permits and maps are obtained from the "hunter check station" on Grizzly Island Road, located approximately 11 miles from Highway 12 in Suisun. All hunters must check in and out at this station. The check station usually opens two hours before shoot time.
- Waterfowl Hunting: During the regular "Balance of the State" season, hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Hunting for waterfowl is permitted on either a reservation or on a first-come, first-served basis. Junior Hunting License holders are admitted without charge, but they must be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older. Note: Hunters may apply for reservations in advance through the License and Revenue Branch; for further information, consult the regulation booklet "Hunting & Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas."
- Pheasant Hunting: Hunting is allowed during the regular statewide pheasant season. In most years these units are open during the first twelve days of the season. Thereafter, hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. The reservation system and first-come, first-served system is the same as waterfowl.
- A Game Bird Heritage Hunt (Junior Pheasant Hunt) is scheduled each year. The hunt occurs on the second weekend of the regular pheasant season. An area is set aside for hunters with a Junior Hunting License. The junior hunters must be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older with a valid California Hunting License. Call Grizzly Island Wildlife area for reservations. There is no fee for this opportunity.
- Rabbit Hunting: On Grizzly Island Unit only, jack rabbit and cottontail hunting is usually allowed in the month of July and during pheasant season on pheasant hunt days.
- Tule Elk Hunting: On Grizzly Island Unit only, special hunts for tule elk are conducted in most years during August and September. This is a special draw hunt with a limited number of tags. Hunt information and application form can be found in CDFW publication "Big Game Hunting" which is available annually in late April. Also, see the "Mammal Hunting Regulations" for specific information.
- Dove Hunting: Dove hunting is only allowed during the late dove season on authorized pheasant hunt days due to other hunting programs and access restrictions.
- Falconry Hunting: Falconry hunting is usually allowed during the month of February for pheasants and rabbits. Hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Permits are available for properly licensed falconers at the headquarters registration booth. There is no fee for this opportunity.
Joice Island Unit:
Joice Island Unit is located on Grizzly Island Road. This is designated as a "Type A" hunting area. Waterfowl hunting is allowed by reservation only. The authorized hunt days for Joice Island Unit are on Sundays, usually beginning the first Sunday in December and continuing every Sunday through the remainder of the season in the "Balance of the State" zone. Hunters must check-in at the Grizzly Island Check Station with their reservation.
Island Slough Unit:
Island Slough Unit is located on Grizzly Island Road approximately seven miles from Highway 12. This is designated as a "Type B" hunting area with approximately 450 acres open to hunting (free-roam area - no blinds installed) Hunting is allowed on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays for waterfowl and pheasant during the authorized seasons only. Permits are available at the booth in the parking lot on the area.
Gold Hills Unit:
Gold Hills Unit can be reached from Highway 680. This 50 acre unit is designated as a "Type B" hunting area. Hunting is only allowed for waterfowl during the authorized season. Hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. All hunting must be done from one of the three blinds on the area. Permits are available at the booth in the parking lot on the area.
Goodyear Slough Unit:
Goodyear Slough Unit can be reached from Highway 680; take the Lake Herman Road exit. This 70 acre unit is designated as a "Type B" hunting area. Hunting is allowed for waterfowl only during the authorized season and only from designated blinds. Blinds are assigned by CDFW personnel approx. 1 - 1½ hours prior to shoot time. Hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.
West Family Unit:
West Family Unit can be reached from Highway 680. This is designated as a "Type B" unit for junior waterfowl hunters and their adult chaperones. Hunt days are Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday during the authorized season. Hunting is allowed only from the four designated first-come, first-served blinds. Chaperones may hunt with the junior hunter if they possess a valid California hunting license, appropriate stamps and a "Type A or B" season pass. Permits are available in the box at the West Family Unit parking lot.
Grey Goose Unit:
Grey Goose Unit can only be accessed by boat from Suisun Slough to Boynton Slough. This 73 acre unit is designated as a "Type C" hunting area. Hunting is allowed for waterfowl and pheasants on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays during the authorized seasons. Trespassing on surrounding private property or railroad right-of-way is strictly prohibited.
For further information regarding the Grizzly Island Wildlife Area Complex, contact the office at (707) 425-3828, located at 2548 Grizzly Island Road, Suisun, California 94585.