- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
Sacramento River Wildlife Area - Butte, Glenn, Colusa Counties
The symbols above are activities permitted on this Wildlife Area. Click for more info.
Location: Tehama, Glenn, Butte, and Colusa counties; on the east and west sides of the Sacramento River.
Phone Number: (916) 358-2900
Additional Information: SacramentoRiver.org
Map: Directional Map (PDF)
Maps of Sacramento River Units (All maps are in PDF format)
- Beehive Bend Unit Aerial View
- Colusa Unit Aerial View
- Dicus Slough Unit Aerial View
- Jacinto Unit Aerial View
- Merrill's Landing Unit Aerial View
- Moulton Unit Aerial View
- Ord Bend Unit Aerial View
- Oxbow Unit Aerial View
- Pine Creek Units Aerial View
- Princeton North & East Units Aerial View
- Princeton South & Southeast Units Aerial View
- Shannon Slough Unit Aerial View
- Stegeman Unit Aerial View
- Wilson Landing Unit Aerial View
- No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed
- Camping and trailers are not allowed
- Horses, horseback riding, OHVs, and all vehicles are prohibited
- Use of dogs is limited to one per hunter
Access: Walk-in access is severely limited due to surrounding private property. Most units are accessible by boat only. Large yellow unit signs have been posted and are visible to users from the river. See below for information on access to specific units of the Wildlife Area.
|Merrills' Landing||Ord Bend||Stegeman|
|Dicus Slough||Jacinto||Moulton North|
|Wilson Landing||Oxbow||Moulton South|
|Pine Creek North||Beehive Bend||Colusa North|
|Shannon Slough||Princeton South||Colusa South|
|Boat-in or Walk-in|
|Pine Creek West||Princeton East|
|Pine Creek East||Princeton Southeast|
|Princeton North||Site 21|
Public Boat Launch Sites
|Site Name||River Mile||Location and Access|
|Colusa State Park||145||One block east of Highway 20 in Colusa|
|Butte City Launch Facilities||169||Northeast corner of Butte City|
|Ord Bend Boat Ramp||184||County Road 32, where it crosses the river|
|Big Chico Creek Day Use Area||193.2||On River Road, south of Highway 32 and west of Chico|
|Pine Creek Day Use Area||196.5||On River Road in Chico, south of Highway 32|
|Gianella Landing||199||South of Highway 32 bridge, west of Hamilton City|
|Tehama County River Park/ Woodson Bridge||218||Located on South Avenue in Corning|
Description: 4,014 acres of riparian forest dominated by cottonwood, willow, ash, sycamore, box elder trees with dense understory of wild grape, pipevine, poison oak and grasslands, oxbow lakes, and gravel bars.
Recreational Use: Type C Wildlife Area - no permits, passes, or reservations are required
- Fishing, bird watching, nature study, and trapping are allowed. Among the diversity of species that can be seen along the river are otters, beavers, gray fox, bobcat, western pond turtles, ash-throated flycatchers, great blue herons, egrets, and a variety of birds of prey.
Hunting: Allowed for all legal species from the opening of deer season through January 31 and the spring turkey season. Shotgun and archery only. Game species include deer, quail, turkey, and dove.
PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and places where licenses are sold.