- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
Indian Valley Wildlife Area - Lake County
The symbols above are activities permitted on this Wildlife Area. Click for more info.
Location: Lake County - approximately 25 miles west of Williams
Phone Number: (916) 358-2900
Maps: Directional Map (PDF) Detailed Map (PDF) Topographic Map (PDF)
- Camping is allowed, but trailers are prohibited
- Dogs may not be used to take/pursue mammals or for dog training between the first Saturday in April and the general opening of deer season
Access: On Highway 20 approximately 4 miles west of its intersection with Highway 16, turn north on Walker Ridge Road; travel Walker Ridge Road to Bartlett Springs Road. Turn west to Indian Valley Reservoir.
Description: The area consists of nearly 4,988 acres around the reservoir. Habitats include the reservoir inundation zone (open, grassy) and adjacent brush, chaparral and woodlands. Bald eagles, deer and wild pigs can be found here. Dense chaparral can make hunting difficult. The area is cooperatively managed with the surrounding BLM Indian Valley Management Area.
Recreational Use: Type C Wildlife Area - no permits, passes, or reservations are required.
- Fishing is allowed during open season within the boundaries of the wildlife area. The reservoir hold large and smallmouth bass, kokanee salmon, crappie, rainbow trout, bluegill, and catfish.
- Camping is allowed, trailers are prohibited.
- Hiking, birdwatching, and wildlife viewing are excellent, including the Signal Rock/Eagle Rock loop along Walker Ridge which is accessed at the intersection of Walker Ridge and Indian Valley Roads.
Hunting: Permitted during open season for all legal species. Game species include deer, wild pig, black bear, rabbit, tree squirrel, wild turkey, quail, and dove.
For more information from the Bureau of Land Management, contact them at:
2550 North State Street
Ukiah, CA 95482
PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and places where licenses are sold.