- Comprehensive Wetland Habitat Program
- Ecological Reserves
- Wildlife Areas
- GIS Information
- Lands Inventory Fact Sheet
- Land Management Planning
- Staff Directory
- Articles from Outdoor California
Private Lands Conservation Programs
Daugherty Hill Wildlife Area - Yuba & Butte Counties
The symbols above are activities permitted on this Wildlife Area. Click for more info.
Location: North of Highway 20 approximately 17 miles east of Marysville.
Phone Number: (916) 358-2900
Maps: Directional Map (PDF) Donovan Hill & Daugherty Hill Units (PDF) Darby Road Unit (PDF)
Topographic Maps: Daugherty WA (PDF) Donovan Hill Unit (PDF) Daugherty Hill Unit (PDF) Darby Road Unit (PDF)
- Camping is not allowed
Special Restrictions: Entry permit, issued by special drawing, is required for the first nine days of the spring turkey season. Hunting is allowed only from July 1 through January 31 and during the spring turkey season, when only turkeys can be hunted.
- Darby Unit Only: Horses and bicycles are not allowed on this unit.
- Darby Unit Only: Dogs are allowed with a licensed hunter only while hunting.
- Daugherty Hill Unit: The parking lot for the Daugherty Hill unit is located one mile east of Marysville Road on Dolan Harding Road. Fee access to the Daugherty Hill Unit is also available through the Collins Lake Recreation Area.
- Donovan Hill Unit: Take Highway 20 to Marysville Road; proceed north (left) on Marysville Road about 8.3 miles to the second Dolan Harding Road intersection. The Donovan Hill Unit begins here.
- Darby Road Unit: Going north on Marysville Road from Highway 20, turn west on Loma Rica Road for 1.4 miles. Turn north on Los Verjeles Road for 5 miles to Bangor. Turn north on La Porte Road and go three miles to Darby Road. Parking lot is located .2 miles east of South Honcut Creek crossing.
*WARNING* During periods of high water the concrete road crossing over South Honcut Creek will be impassable as vehicles could be washed off the road. If water is flowing over the road crossing, return to La Porte Road, turn east for 4.2 miles and turn right on Vierra Road for 3.8 miles to reach the parking lot.
Daugherty Hill Unit (2,638 acres), Donovan Hill Unit (1,762 acres), and Darby Road Unit (689 acres): Rolling hills covered with blue and live oak, gray pine, ceanothus, and poison oak.
*Special Note* Homes are located near some of the wildlife area boundaries.
Recreational Use: Type C Wildlife Area - no permits, passes, or reservations are required.
- Allowed July 1 - January 31 for all legal species, and spring turkey season when only turkey may be taken.
- Game species include jackrabbits, cottontails, dove, quail, tree squirrels.
- Deer: Zone D-3. Small resident population; Columbian black-tailed deer migrate down from higher elevations in Plumas and Sierra counties in late October.
- Wild turkey: open entire fall season without reservation; open for entire spring season with special permit required the first nine days. During spring turkey season, only shotguns, archery equipment, and air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey) may be used in designated areas.
Facilities: None. Overnight parking with trailers allowed in designated parking lots.
Collins Lake Recreation Area - Privately operated campgrounds where fishing, RV hookups, hot showers, laundry and a general store are available. For entry hours and campground info call 1-800-286-0576 or visit www.collinslake.com.
Motels are located in Marysville and Yuba City. Contact the Yuba-Sutter Chamber of Commerce at (530) 743-6501 for motel information.
PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and places where licenses are sold.