California Invasive Species Action Week
Saturday, August 2 – Sunday, August 10, 2014
The goal of the California Invasive Species Action Week (ISAW) is to increase public awareness of invasive species issues and promote public participation in the fight against California’s invasive species and their impacts on our natural resources.
Prevention is the most effective strategy in managing invasive species. However, hundreds of invasive plants and animals have already established in California and are rapidly spreading each year. These invaders are negatively impacting our waters, our native plants and animals (some of them rare, threatened or endangered), our agriculture, our health, our economy, and our favorite recreational places. Help us celebrate the inaugural California Invasive Species Action Week, and more importantly, help stop the spread of invasive species, by volunteering to take action.
What Can You Do?
- Find out which species are threats to California.
- Learn about California’s invasive plants.
- Remove invasive plants from your property.
- Select native or non-invasive plants for your garden.
- Make sure to Clean, Drain, and Dry (PDF) your boat after each outing.
- Use only certified “weed-free” forage, hay, seed, mulch, soil, and gravel.
- Avoid spreading forest pests: buy your firewood where you burn it.
- Learn alternatives to releasing unwanted fish, aquatic plants, and other pets.
- Get to know your local invaders.
- Eat them. Yes, really. Check out these interesting websites to find out who is edible and how to prepare them.
- Monitor plants and trees for symptoms of infestations and disease.
- Share your knowledge.
- Visit your favorite local, state, or national park, ecological reserve, recreational area, or nature center and ask about their volunteer programs.
- Have you spotted an invasive species? Tell us where by reporting your sighting.
- Volunteer for invasive species removal/habitat restoration projects.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS – check back often for updates!
Are you planning to host an invasive species event during Action Week? Submit your event information (PDF) so we can add you to the Schedule of Events!
Can your facility or program display or distribute Action Week posters or brochures to help recruit participants, volunteers, or youth poster contestants? Email Invasives@wildlife.ca.gov and tell us how many to send you!