- Strategic Goals
- Environmental Review & Permitting
- Conservation Planning
- Invasive Species
- Native Plant Program
Conservation Planning Branch
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife
1416 Ninth Street, 12th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
- The California Environmental Quality Act
- External CEQA Project Review Procedures
- CEQA Filing Fees
- Process for No Effect Determinations
- Federal Project Review
- CDFW's Internal CEQA Procedures
- Other Types of CEQA Project Reviews
- California Law CEQA consists of Public Resources Code sections 21000-21177
- CEQA Statutes and Guidelines CEQA code and reference information (note: some information is out of date)
- CEQA FAQ (PDF)
- CEQA Public Notices
- SB 1535 (PDF) Changes in filing fees
- Fish and Game Code Section 711.4 and Section 713 Legal information on filing fees
External CEQA Project Review Procedures
|CEQA STEPS||DEPARTMENT ACTION||DEPARTMENT LEAD RESPONSIBILITY|
|Public agency evaluates project to determine if the project may have a significant effect on the environment.||Respond to informal coordination||Region|
| Lead agency prepares initial study.
Lead agency decision to prepare environmental impact report (EIR) or negative declaration.
|Respond to informal coordination||Region|
| Lead agency sends notice of preparation
to responsible agency.
Lead agency prepares draft EIR or negative declaration.
|Respond to notice of preparation as to contents of draft EIR or negative declaration (see Section 15082 (b) CEQA Guidelines)||Region|
| Lead agency files notice of completion
and gives public notice of availability of draft of EIR or negative
Public review period.
|Comments on adequacy of draft EIR or negative declaration||Region/Habitat Conservation Planning Branch (HCPB) - Advice|
|Lead agency prepares final EIR including responses to comments on draft EIR.|
| Decision making body considers final
EIR or negative declaration prepared by lead agency.
Findings on feasibility of avoiding significant environmental effects.
|Optional review and comment on adequacy of response and public hearing testimony.||Region/HCPB Advice|
| Decision on project. State agencies
file notice of determination with OPR.
Local agencies file notice of determination/ certification with County Clerk. State agencies file notice of determination with OPR.
|Department may challenge decision of approval under CEQA.||Region/ HCPB/LAD Attorney General|